Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:08 PM

18,228 posts, read 25,885,077 times

Advertisements

Love NM! Welcome to the forum. Roswell gets in discussions from time to time, just check out the threads. I like all of SE NM myself; everyone has their preferences. That's what makes the forum so interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 09:32 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,604,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
That isn't to say there aren't retirees in Santa Fe, Ruidoso, or Los Alamos. Again, there assuredly are and they are gorgeous areas. But those people wouldn't be moving there for mild winters.
Winter seems pretty mild in Ruidoso, since it is in the southern part of the state. I can handle an avg Jan day of 50 and sunny. I can even ride my bicycle all year. From May through Oct the climate is *perfect* IMO. The winter before last we got over double the avg snowfall and even then it was no big deal. It ain't Florida... thank gawd!... I think it is much nicer overall. I couldn't even stand the sticky humidity in FL in the winter...

Old 04-28-2008, 09:56 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,346,496 times
I'll check angle Fire out this September.
Thanks,

Old 04-28-2008, 12:45 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,827,375 times
What make NM a good place to retire? Climate, Weather, space.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:27 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,613,495 times
This is too broad a statement. I think some places in NM are excellent for retirement, others very poor. Depends on the person though. If you are a city person, then Albuquerque might be pretty good to retire too. If you are country folk, well Roswell and those areas might be good to retire to.

Unless you are filthy rich, Santa Fe is not a good place to retire to, and Taos may even be a little painful on your wallet.

But in general, NM may be a good place to retire cause of the wide open spaces, fresh air, and moderate climate.

My mother has retired to Las Cruces, and loves it down there. I can't stand the place, just too hot. So if you are thinking of NM retirement, of course you can't go wrong by visiting the state a couple of times. I would visit in July or August, so you can see just how hot it gets in places like Las Cruces during that time of year.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:00 PM

26 posts, read 84,309 times
My parents live in Las Cruces (NM) and here are some reasons why they moved there for retirement.

1. Lower cost of living (compared to East Coast)
2. Mild winters and very little to no snow
3. Friendly, outgoing people
4. College town (NMSU)
5. Slower pace (compared to East Coast)
6. "Close" to Colorado mountains (within a long days drive)
7. Adobe homes

Las Cruces continues to grow and attract many transplants from CA and Texas. If you like the dessert, you will like Las Cruces.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:42 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post

Unless you are filthy rich, Santa Fe is not a good place to retire to..
Well, I have totally disagree with that.

I am most definitely NOT filthy rich, not even a little bit rich ... and we have been researching NM for FORTY YEARS NOW. We also bought property in Eldorado in 1992 which turned out to be a tremendous investment, because that purchase has increased in value about 6 times what we paid.

I am confident we can live on the Santa Fe economy .. we've been doing our homework on this.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:23 PM

946 posts, read 3,267,670 times
Default Ditto except . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Well, I have totally disagree with that.

I am most definitely NOT filthy rich, not even a little bit rich ... and we have been researching NM for FORTY YEARS NOW. We also bought property in Eldorado in 1992 which turned out to be a tremendous investment, because that purchase has increased in value about 6 times what we paid.

I am confident we can live on the Santa Fe economy .. we've been doing our homework on this.
I was not quite so smart. (Well, nowhere near that smart.) And didn't buy until I moved here. But I am definitely not even cleanly rich.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:17 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,613,495 times
Living in Eldorado is not living in Santa Fe.

Try selling your home in Eldorado, and then buying the same home in Santa Fe.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:08 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,032,885 times

No need to respond to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico