Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 06:12 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,350,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
Not sure why you reached that conclusion. Certainly there are MANY nightly rentals in Ruidoso, but since I know realtors who deal in rentals, it's my impression there are equally as many who prefer to rent long term. Second home owners trend to renting short-term so that the house is available for their use anytime they choose to use it. Long term rentals are more to be found in apartment or condominium complexes. But I also know of quite a few people who rent homes out on a longer term basis - people who buy houses at a bargain as investment properties, as one example. One man I know does that as a hobby - buys a fixer-upper, renovates it, and then rents it out to long term renters.

Without long-term rentals, most of the people working in the service industries of the area would have nowhere to live since local wages are too low to permit them to qualify for home loans.

When we were searching online several years ago, we didn't see any long term, only short term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 07:48 PM

155 posts, read 376,124 times
Talking White Mountain everywhere...

On a lighter side; I must tell you that I am having a good laugh over the name "White Mountain"
The name came before I ever heard of White Mountain anywhere much less in NM...
The company I am in partnership with my friend is called "Wolf Creek Idea Group" My buddies nickname is Wolf, I had at one time been known as Cap't Jack, but, I wanted a name that would work with Wolf Creek, so as I am getting grayer as I age, I came up with the name "White Mountain Jack"
Now lo and behold I am making plans to live at a place where there is White Mountain everywhere!!!!. rruff has a bike shop known as White Mountain Wheels,, and on and on with the name all over the place...lol....
Coincidence??? Destiny ???
Quite appropriate I think!!!
Talk you all of you later....
Blessings
White Mountain

Old 10-14-2009, 08:13 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,350,831 times
And is Captain Jack from the character, Pirates of the Carribbean?

Old 10-14-2009, 08:39 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,253,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
And is Captain Jack from the character, Pirates of the Carribbean?
Or maybe from Billy Joel

But Captain Jack will get you high tonight,
And take you to your special island.
Captain Jack will get you by tonight.
Just a little push, and you'll be smilin'.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:53 PM

Yes, songinthewind7 Captain Jack came from Mr Jack Sparrow..Depp did a great job in that role!!!

JDTH...Very nice!!!.Pulling out a good ole oldie...I like it....

Wow, it is about 9pm your time in Ruidoso and it's 64 degrees,,, not bad.!!!
Ok, now about that flood a year or two back.....that was an aberration right?
White Mountain.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:58 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,253,193 times
Yes the floods don't happen very often. Rruff and Jaxart will know more about it than I do. It was an historical event. Luckily only one person died. They are still fixing some of the bridges that got washed out, but temporary bridges are in place.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:13 PM

Looked like a nasty one for sure... Sad to lose one person, but, at least there were no other deaths...
White Mountain.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:50 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,600,989 times
Ruidoso is a great place to *do* massage. If someone is good, they would have no problem getting all the business they want. Plenty of tourists and wealthy residents, and not that many massage therapists.

IME the internet sucks here. We got Baja initially, but in the summer when the sun was out, it would go off. It only worked when it was dark. For months they pledged to fix the problem, but never were successful... so we switched to DSL. It works most of the time, but we've had numerous issues with that as well. In the beginning it would be down for a few days per month. Currently it cuts out maybe 20 times a day and reinitializes. Not a big deal... but I haven't had problems with the internet anywhere else.

Don't have TV so can't comment on that.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:15 AM

801 posts, read 2,213,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Mountain View Post
Yes, songinthewind7 Captain Jack came from Mr Jack Sparrow..Depp did a great job in that role!!!

JDTH...Very nice!!!.Pulling out a good ole oldie...I like it....

Wow, it is about 9pm your time in Ruidoso and it's 64 degrees,,, not bad.!!!
White Mountain.
White Mountain...just remember that when you combine complex terrain with summer thunderstorm season, flash floods do occur somewhere in New Mexico every summer. The prime time for Ruidoso and vicinity is July through September.

When you get to Ruidoso, you'll see the old mill. The first one (over 100 years ago) was built at the juncture of Carrizo Creek and the Rio Ruidoso. It was washed away in a flash flood a few weeks later.

You'll see a few places with staff gauges along the road so that one can see the depth of water at these low crossings. These were installed after some deaths in the 1980s.

Still...flash floods don't happen every year. Most deaths occur when people drive into the water. Just stay out of the way when nature is doing her thing...

You may want to read this or take a glance at the maps.

NWS ABQ Monsoon Awareness - Flash Floods

Old 10-15-2009, 07:31 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,919,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Mountain View Post
White Mountain.
An aberration in that it happens infrequently, but happens. And "they" refer to it as a "100 year, 50 year etc." event. Old timers like myself will say that the flood of 1946 (not sure I've got the year right) was worse than the one of 2008.

It got blown all out of proportion by the media, as such events are often prone to be. While having bridges washed out can and did inconvenience locals for a brief time - had to detour some - the damage was confined to narrow areas along historic drainages, the biggest being the so-called Rio Ruidoso - which in normal times even has trouble qualifying to be called a creek or brook (IMO!). Rivulet maybe!

The fact is that people have built right up to the very edge of the "creek" and then suffer the consequences when said "creek" becomes a raging torrent, as it's prone to do every so often. With no restrictions on such building construction, the houses that were damaged (a very few were "totaled") will likely be rebuilt right up to the creek again as memory fades.
The damage in 2008 appeared to be worst in several mobile parks along the creek (higher density of "homes").

In general, everyone who builds in mountainous terrain needs to take responsibility for making sure they aren't subjecting their structures to potential heavy rain runoff damage. Houses built many years ago may have been built with runoff consequences in mind, but over the years renovations may have been done that were not well thought out.

Re: White Mountain. The tops of the local Sacramento Mountains are designated the "White Mountain Wilderness" which means NO mechanized travel in the area so named. The tallest peak has long been named Sierra Blanca on maps (Spanish for White Mountain). But old timers like me used to call the highest peak "Old Baldy" since most of us only came to Ruidoso in the summer months "way back then" when the mountain was devoid of either snow or forest (above the tree line).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico