Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 09:11 PM

11 posts, read 44,840 times

Advertisements

My mother lived near the Downs yes if you love snow yet enought to enjoy go for it yet all during the summer it is cool the elevations is higher it will be cooler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 06:58 AM

265 posts, read 874,540 times
Default Last Big Snow in Ruidoso/Capitan

I am trying to gather more info on winter snows in the Ruidoso/Capitan areas. These seem to be my best bet for relocation according to my needs. Winter weather temps are fine for me. Only question is what the areas experience in snowstorms. I don't mind a few inches once in a while, but the deep snows that require lots of shoveling are a concern.

It would be helpful if any of you locals could give me info on recent big snowstorms in the general areas note above. Thanks much for any input.

Jim

Old 02-01-2009, 01:16 PM

801 posts, read 2,215,147 times
James57

Instead of just looking back at the last big snow, I thought it might be helpful to provide some climate statistics on snowfall in the area you are interested in.

RUIDOSO averages about 40 inches of snowfall per season, but that can range from 35 inches in some sheltered areas to 45 to 50 inches in more favored areas. Since the weather station was established there in 1941, seasonal snowfall has ranged from as little as 9 inches to 79 inches. The snowiest months on records produced totals of 35 to 37 inches. Ruidoso averages one month every 2 years with at least 20 inches of snowfall. Greatest total measured in 1 day has been 23 inches.

CAPITAN averages 28-32 inches of snowfall per season. Seasonal snowfall has ranged from as little as 2 inches to 79 inches. Capitan generally gets less snowfall than Ruidoso. The only reason the record seasonal total is the same as Ruidoso is that the records for Capitan go back to 1907. Ruidoso probably received 100 inches of snowfall in the winter of 1914-1915, but there are no records that far back. Capitan's snowiest month produced 35 inches, and Capitan receives as much as 20 inches of snow in a month an average of only once every 4 years (compared to Ruidoso's once every 2 years). Greatest one-day total measured has been 18 inches.

For both locations, most snowfalls are less than 6 inches, and, with the bright sunshine and dry air (after storms) at elevations of 6000 to around 7000 feet, snowfall tends to sublimate and evaporate quickly. Lengthy periods with significant snow on the ground are rare. When looking at daily records, one finds that the average snow depth is only 1 inch during the months of December, January, and February in Ruidoso.

From what you said, I think Ruidoso and Capitan would both work for you. But, I would also look for a site with a southern exposure, or at least stay way from having a driveway on a northern, or shaded slope.

Caveats for snowfall records: Most records are from the cooperative weather network managed by the National Weather Service. These observations are made by human volunteers. Sometimes humans are not at home to take observations, sometimes they just don't want to or are sick, sometimes they make mistakes. In spite of that, I think the records for Capitan and Ruidoso are fairly accurate.

You can find a lot more climate data for these locations and many others at the Western Region Climate Center web site: New Mexico

Old 02-01-2009, 06:51 PM

390 posts, read 953,365 times
Well I live in Capitan. Three miles north of the fire station. Screw the stats. We have been very dry here with above record temperatures. The last big snowfall was about 1999. Was snowed in for about 1 week. Because the altitude is high, snow evaporates the same day. Have supplies on hand to deal with unexpected conditions. Hellicopters go over daily if the unexpected happens. Love it here! If my Porsche makes it over the snow you can go anywhere!

Old 02-02-2009, 01:02 PM

265 posts, read 874,540 times
Thanks much to both mrgoodwx and caydriver. Your comments are much appreciated. This confirms in my mind that I would be fine living in these areas. My preference is to live in the mountain west, but in a mild 4 season climate. The areas in Colorado are just too severe in the winter for me, while the southern NM mts. appear to be ideal. My other possible choice is the Silver City area. However, I find the Capitan area to be more reasonable with cost of living.

Jim

Old 02-02-2009, 02:47 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,611,046 times
This is a great site for climate info: New Mexico

I've been in Alto (just N of Ruidoso) for 3 winters now. We got a lot of snow the first year (about double the average) but it was no problem at all, and the last two we've gotten very little. As others have said a southern exposure is best since it takes a long time for snow on north slopes to melt. With lots of sun and avg highs ~50 it isn't a wintery place... mild 4 seasons for sure.

IMO summer never really gets hot either. If the temp gets up to 90 (which is rare), humidity will always be in the single digits and the temp will drop into the 50s when the sun goes down.

If you build your house with passive solar features you can get by with very little heating in winter, and no AC necessary in the summer... kinda nice.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:15 PM

801 posts, read 2,215,147 times
rruff...you're right about summer. The web site you and I both referenced shows Ruidoso temperatures hit 90 an average of only 5 times per year, and summer high temps average in the lower 80s. Those few 90 degree days are going to happen in late June or the beginning of July. Once thunderstorm season cranks up, the 90 degree days are gone.

I have a lot at Ranches of Sonterra. If I decide to build, I will likely build a passive solar home with SIPs or Rastra walls. A typical July-August day on my 5 acres: Clear and 50 at sunrise. Temperature gets to about 80 by noon as thunderstorms build along the eastern slopes of Sierra Blanca and adjacent peaks. Thunderstorms drift generally eastward across Alto and vicinity...then on toward Roswell and those areas. If it rains, temperatures dip into the 50s or 60s for a while in the afternoon. Otherwise, it's mainly the 70s to around 80. The sun goes down and temperatures are in the 60s or 50s the rest of the night. For me...you can't beat that for a summer day!

Old 02-02-2009, 05:30 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,611,046 times
Guess we'll be neighbors! We bought land in Vista Rio Bonito when it first opened, so just across the river from you... 16 acres with good solar potential.

If you like the solar idea, consider building with more thermal mass. I haven't decided those details yet, but I think it will be concrete block with external foam and then stucco.

Pumicecrete sounds very appealing, but isn't used much... and I hate to be an early adopter on the one and only house I ever plan to build. Pumicecrete is light concrete with pumice aggregate. It is supposed to have R1-1.5/in so you can make thick walls out of it and then just plaster the inside and outside and you are done... simple. You lose most of the thermal mass benefit, but the simplicity and cost advantage looks good. I'll have to try and find some people who have used it and see what they think.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:23 PM

390 posts, read 953,365 times
Well when everyone gets settled in down here let's have a meet and greet . Maybe at Smokey Bear Cafe?

Old 08-08-2009, 06:32 PM

41 posts, read 110,215 times
You used to be able to make more money in the service industry around Carlsbad and Artesia because of the oil fields but I don't know how it is now. My wife and I might be moving to Ruidoso soon. I have heard that the economy is still a little slow. I don't know this first hand since we live in Austin. The economy there wouldn't be as much of a problem for us because I work in the oil business in West Texas. I think Lubbock is only about 2 or 2 1/2 hours away from Ruidoso. Texas Tech is there so it's usually a pretty busy town for the service industry. You might find that living expenses might be a little cheaper than it is where you are currently at. It is much cheaper than the area of Austin we live in so we are looking forward to it. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico