Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:31 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
my foxpro has the "female invitation howl" as well as the "interrogation howl" avaliable on it. Would that work?:d
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 10:59 AM

206 posts, read 535,241 times
Why do the lefties alway's want to "jam" their views down everyones throat...Enough already...

Old 10-20-2009, 02:16 PM

502 posts, read 1,380,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
there is a reason this is happening - people are encroaching upon wildlife, moving into places and building homes and such where wild animals use to be able to hunt and be free. because of the encroacing society, these animals are not able to hunt as much and are hungry.
I don't/won't disagree with you on that.
I live in the "sticks" and have deer, elk, coon and skunk problems on a regular basis. It's the price I pay for living where I do so I make the best of it. I fence them out of what I need to, keep the domestic animals safe and let the wildlife do what they do.
But I also understand that people are going to take priority over animals. Some people can't/won't live in "harmony" with them so they pay me to remove them.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:28 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,779 times
Well, just move back into the BIG city..then...obty...coyotes are in the big cities too.

and their favorite meal is a nice fresh live cat.....

We are way out and the folks here have had ALL their chickens taken, at night, and during the day.+ the dogs have taken all our cottontails, jacks, etc.

and and they carry disease...and they are very prolificate...need more...then hit the big city...no varmits there...welll...just the ones with guns, gangs, clubs etc.

Choose where you live and make the best of it..

Happy trails,

oh, me I like a .257 roberts with 100gr....

Old 10-20-2009, 03:19 PM

502 posts, read 1,380,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Well, just move back into the BIG city..then...obty...coyotes are in the big cities too.

and their favorite meal is a nice fresh live cat.....

We are way out and the folks here have had ALL their chickens taken, at night, and during the day.+ the dogs have taken all our cottontails, jacks, etc.

and and they carry disease...and they are very prolificate...need more...then hit the big city...no varmits there...welll...just the ones with guns, gangs, clubs etc.

Choose where you live and make the best of it..

Happy trails,

oh, me I like a .257 roberts with 100gr....
Now the .257 roberts is a GREAT varmint rifle. Do ya want to share?

Old 10-20-2009, 04:31 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
...these animals are not able to hunt as much and are hungry.
Nonsense! Animals are very adaptable and proficient at finding new sources of food in urban areas. Coyotes have been seen in Central Park in NYC! Hal the Coyote gained fame for his antics some years back. Plenty of feral cats, rats and mice to munch on if people's pets aren't readily available.

Where I live the bears unfortunately have learned to prefer people's garbage to their normal diet of berries and such. Unfortunate for we humans because they strew the garbage widely when feasting.

And the deer prefer non-native shrubs and other such things planted in gardens here to their natural browse. To say nothing of the corn and other goodies the locals deliberately set out for them.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:51 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
And the deer prefer non-native shrubs and other such things planted in gardens here to their natural browse. To say nothing of the corn and other goodies the locals deliberately set out for them.
Idiots. I went for a 6 mile hike in the woods a couple of weeks ago and did not see a single deer... but there are usually a half dozen within a stone's throw of my house. I wish we had a few more coyotes here to keep the population down.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:43 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
I occasionally fed deer back in Maine. Simply because when we got snow, it did not melt overnight. It stayed on the ground for months. Our last winter in Maine, we had over 8 feet of snow on the ground. The deer need help in finding food when the snow is that deep. Its next to impossible for them to get around. Once the snow melt started, we stopped feeding them.

They would empty out the birdfeeders anyway, so was just as easy to put out some cracked corn for them. Never had any problems with deer in the summer, they headed off to the apple orchards and stayed there all summer and fall.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:44 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
I do know of one local lady that was walking her small dog, on a leash, and it was killed by a coyote.
Same thing happened in my hometown, population 700. Not a case of the people overtaking the coyote's terrority. Rather the opposite.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:51 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
At least the deer are harmless except to something to eat!
Well, as someone who has seen a pet dog - large dog at that - nearly shredded by a deer's front hooves, I would say they are not "that" harmless. Of course it's a matter of self defense - but that's the case with many wild animals who would otherwise not be a bother. Rattlesnakes don't go after people, as one example - it's people who invade their space who are bitten.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico