Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 04:16 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingJoy View Post

THANK YOU!!!!! Fabulous!

Yes, I realize it'll be quite an adjustment. I love rural areas (I lived in Pocatello, Idaho before moving to FL, and LOVED it there), but still..quite a departure from what I've gotten used to here. I am VERY nervous right now, but I also hate the lack of hiking and crowds of FL, so this'll likely be a fortuitous opportunity for this outdoor lover!! I'm a mountain girl, for sure.
Right on SeekingJoy as you should be o.k. as you lived in Idaho before and i'm sure the winters are milder in Silver City than Pocatello. I'ved lived in Florida twice as i do at times miss the beaches but i never acclimated to the humidity and never seeing any mountains in Northeast Florida where i lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 08:28 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Yeap when i travel i always hit the road at 5.00 A.M. as it's dark and cooler then to drive. I get my large coffee and gas up the truck and cruise and usually can pick up an AM station out of Dallas or San Antonio until the sun rises as that's kinda cool to hear.
When I have a very long way, I leave before sunrise, too, depending on what direction I'm going!

I've gotten very lazy after all of the driving I've done over the last two years all over the state. I didn't check out Silver City, as I knew it wouldn't do because of no year-around swimming. But it looks like a beautiful place, so I'm looking forward to exploring later!!

Old 07-04-2008, 08:34 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times
Silver City is my favorite place in southern NM ... absolutely beautiful scenery! Never got to spend as much time down there exploring around as I would have liked. Maybe someday.

SeekingJoy: Good luck on your move....welcome to the Land of Enchantment!!

Old 07-04-2008, 09:32 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Glad to post them Cathy . Anyway i felt bad for her as she has asked several times for info about Silver City over the last several weeks/months and no one has answered her so i thought i'd try to help her out a tad bit.
Hey, I posted a reply to SeekingJoy about Silver City

Here's the original thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...decisions.html

P.S. Your pictures are absolutely fabulous. I think I've decided on my next road trip.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:04 PM

775 posts, read 2,588,356 times
Default Seeking Land in Silver

If you are looking for land in certain areas of New Mexico put your ad in the T Nickels for those areas and you should get lots of people calling now in these times where lending is not easy and people wanting to sell their homes. BEWARE that some areas might have Bad Air and water because of mines very isolated 300 miles from Albuquerque and Santa Fe, Areas where social activity is almost Zilch, in danger of Forest fires or Wild Animals coming into town or Dust or Flooding or no Water or expensive to get electricity or high crime or someone with a Dozen Horses or livestock next door or Matanzas or Dairies nearby that Stink 24 7 or so isolated from Snow plows it might take you a week to get out of your driveway or to where you can Shop for food or Gas... some people will not tell you this about their Area. My favorite area is the East Mountain Area, Wonderful people. Snow and cool Summers lots of Activities and Great Restaurants and close to Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Rent or Rent to own before buying.Living in the center of N.M. has its advantages to exploring the whole state and deciding where to live or work. Reading the East Mountain Telegraph and the Independent or feel free to contact me for more info on these areas. pintada kid @ webtv.net

Old 07-07-2008, 10:18 PM

775 posts, read 2,588,356 times
Default Beautiful Silver

Silver City is a Beautiful place with wonderful people and lots of Wilderness the Gila i think is about as big as 2 or 3 eastern States put together. What i dont like about Silver City is its 300 miles from Albuquerque and even Further from Santa Fe so it would be like a 7 hour drive also i dont like the air in the Silver Area also too hot they are like 6000 elevation but 10 to 15 degrees or even hotter then the center of N.M. which is about 6000 feet also. I would think the Danger from Bears and Mountain Lions and Forest Fires are very high anywhere in N.M. where theres Forests. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 07-08-2008, 01:49 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
I found you a few more photo's SeekingJoy. These are some of the Lakes around Silver City.

Lake Roberts
Lake Roberts on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/buggs/284388255/ - broken link)

Lake Roberts 6 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/coyote2012/2530534142/ - broken link)

lake roberts on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbram/2349319036/ - broken link)

Bill Evans Lake
Bill Evans Lake on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/phyls_photos/337601175/ - broken link)

Snow Lake
Snow Lake on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/9962651@N03/1752226893/ - broken link)

Snow Lake in Gila NF on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/krishl/181353549/ - broken link)

Old 07-08-2008, 10:00 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
also too hot they are like 6000 elevation but 10 to 15 degrees or even hotter then the center of N.M. which is about 6000 feet also.
The southern parts of the state have less temperture extremes than the middle or north. Compared to Stanley for instance, Silver City is 52.0 vs 43.4 in Jan, and 86.7 vs 87.1 in July. IMO the higher altitude areas in the south have the best climate in the state.

FORT BAYARD, NEW MEXICO - Climate Summary
STANLEY 1 NNE, NEW MEXICO - Climate Summary

Old 07-09-2008, 05:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Anne & I stayed in Silver City in April a few years ago. Weather was great and the real estate prices seemed low compared to southern New Hampshire where we currently live. I could see living in Silver or the surrounding area. Very nice town.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:41 PM

54 posts, read 217,332 times
Just to clear up a little bit of information here. There are 2 pools in town. One at the university open year round, and the town's pool near the schools and hospital open only in summer.
Swimming in lakes is nothing this native Floridian would even consider. Fresh water to me equals gators, here it equals frostbite....
BTW Great pics 6/3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico