Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 07:54 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,583,788 times

Advertisements

I know nothing about NM. I have heard wonderful things about Santa Fe but havent been there myself. What cities are great for climate, air quality, and for raising a family? Housing prices are also a big factor. We are coming from a small town so a level of community would be nice as well.

Thanks in advance,
Ashley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 08:37 AM

271 posts, read 1,126,475 times
There are a lot of posters regarding Santa Fe, please go to "search" and look under SANTA FE.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:45 AM

9,379 posts, read 20,836,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
I know nothing about NM. I have heard wonderful things about Santa Fe but havent been there myself. What cities are great for climate, air quality, and for raising a family? Housing prices are also a big factor. We are coming from a small town so a level of community would be nice as well.

Thanks in advance,
Ashley
One town comes to mind: Cloudcroft. It's very small, and has the second highest rated school system in the state behind Los Alamos. It may be too small for you though. Los Alamos housing prices are astronomical, but it is larger in size (I think around 15k).

Getting back to Cloudcroft. If you live there, you almost certainly have to work in Alamogordo, which means essentially working in some capacity for Holloman Air Force Base. It's basically a service oriented town, so the majority of the business is retail, which translates into lower paying jobs. High skilled positions are usually contract work or civil employee hires at Holloman. White Sands Missile Range is beyond Holloman, and also offers high skilled jobs, but if you live in Cloudcroft, the length of commute becomes a factor. Also, Cloudcroft is 9000 feet elevation, so it never goes above 80 degrees in the middle of the summer. I have a friend who lives there, and after spending a lifetime in the rat race of the Dallas/Fort Worth metro, he'd never leave.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:16 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,653,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
What cities are great for climate, air quality, and for raising a family? Housing prices are also a big factor. We are coming from a small town so a level of community would be nice as well.
Many could fit what you are asking in a ''small town'' with good all around quality of life but here's my list......
Alamogordo
Farmington
Roswell
Carlsbad
Silver City
Rio Rancho
Clovis
Moriarity/Edgewood

Anyway i'm sure others can name some other towns but these i listed are small towns with good housing prices and a feel of community in them yet large enough to offer employment.....

Old 05-11-2007, 03:29 AM

79 posts, read 327,549 times
Default Rio Rancho is where I happily raise my family.

well, I AM a bit biased, but I have lived in Carlsbad, Las Cruces, Albuquerque, and Rio Rancho...and although I have a very special place in my heart for Carlsbad, I have chosen to raise my boys in Rio Rancho. There are many posts that discuss the many opinions of people who live there in the topic tittled "Likes and dislkies of Rio Rancho"
I know that Santa Fe is one of the most expensive cities in New Mexico...which I guess isn't much compared to other parts of the country ( I personally would not know prices comparisons to the rest of the country as I have only live in New Mexico all my life).
Best of luck in your decision!
Rose

Last edited by onelilredrose; 05-11-2007 at 03:31 AM.. Reason: forgot to add the name of the topic "Likes and dislikes of Rio Rancho"

Old 05-11-2007, 09:15 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,583,788 times
what is the climate like in Rio Rancho? What type of winters?

Old 05-11-2007, 09:24 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,074,362 times
Rio Ranch is basically a suburb of Albuquerque so the weather is the same. Albuquerque is high desert -- mile high like Denver. But our winters our milder here than in Denver. And we don't normally get tons of snow either.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:52 AM

22,940 posts, read 28,331,838 times
Santa Fe is nice, but I consider it more of a fun place to visit than an ideal place to raise a family. It's very expensive.

Were I moving my family back to New Mexico, I would probably consider Cloudcroft, Alamagordo, Carlsbad, Las Cruces, and Silver City.

Were I moving my family back to NM, I would steer way, way clear of Roswell, Clovis/Portales, Artesia, Gallup, Belen, and Los Lunas.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:59 PM

37 posts, read 190,568 times
Default not Grants

For raising a family, I would say STAY AWAY FROM GRANTS, especially if you are white. That's really the only recommendation I can give, since its the only place I've lived in NM (17 years growing up).

Old 05-13-2007, 03:28 AM

25 posts, read 86,773 times
UGH! If Air Quality's a concern: avoid ANY place in the east (clovis, portales, roswell, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico