Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:48 PM

45 posts, read 146,247 times

Advertisements

What's your general opinions about New Mexico Tech? Is is a good school?

I have checked the town Socorro on google map. It seems that it's in the middle of nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 08:27 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,180,690 times
First, highly recommend you do a search for other postings on the subject. It's been brought up many a time before.

We had a GREAT weekend in Socorro!

Relocation to Socorro soon-advice appreciated!

It's an outstanding school and the best I've yet to visit or attend.

Socorro is in the middle of nowhere. That's not a bad thing, since there's a lot there for people in college age ranges to do. I felt more isolated in Atlanta than I did there.

Schedule a visit and get a student tour guide (available through the school administration) to give you the grand tour.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:05 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecar View Post
I have only heard good comments about New Mexico Tech. It is a well regarded institute in the sciences and technology arena.

Quote:
I have checked the town Socorro on google map. It seems that it's in the middle of nowhere.
It's about 80 miles south of Albuquerque and about 95 miles from where I live. Some people consider Albuquerque "in the middle of nowhere". Some people are trying to retire in Socorro. I have considered living in Socorro.

It really depends on you and what you are attempting to accomplish. You need to come out for a visit....

Rich

Old 11-24-2009, 09:53 AM

45 posts, read 146,247 times
Thank you for replying.

You both gave very good information!

Old 11-24-2009, 04:02 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
To me, Socorro seems like the perfect compromise between isolation and access to a city. It's a small town, but is within only a little over an hour from Albuquerque. As a professional musician, I'm looking to semi-retire. An occasional trip to the city for a gig would be feasible.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:21 PM

27 posts, read 62,580 times
I'm hoping to be able to attend NMT next year. One concern I have is the availability of jobs. What kinds of businesses are there in Socorro for which a student could work?

Old 11-24-2009, 07:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:

It is a wonderful school, one of the best. Actually Socorro isn't really the middle of nowhere and is a delightful small college town. It is about 80 miles at most south of ABQ just off 25. The drive isn't bad..

Nita

Old 11-25-2009, 05:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Socorro is at the top of my "Towns to retire to" list. Big enough to have decent medical services and near enough to big city specalists for safety. I plan on attending NMT to catch up on the advances in geology and environmental science made in the last fourty years.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:44 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,180,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexyz2618 View Post
I'm hoping to be able to attend NMT next year. One concern I have is the availability of jobs. What kinds of businesses are there in Socorro for which a student could work?
Jobs? Surely you jest.

The jobs available to students include working in food service on campus, or helping out various departments on campus such as gophering for a department head, helping run Macey Center, aiding campus police, etc. The common thread is that they all pay workstudy-level wages, which are pitifully low. After a couple years of education perhaps as a lab technician for NRAO or EMRTC or another acronym you've never heard of but could look up, UC (user consultant; babysitter and problemsolver for the computer lab), RA (babysit dorm residents) or even as a TA (teaching entry level classes).

Can also teach a recreational class (say, juggling, yodeling, martial arts, basket weaving, aerobics) and get some money that way.

Have also known people to work at Arby's, Sonic, Pizza Hut, etc., for the wages you'd expect. Walmart I'm sure employs a few techies.

Bottom line: Don't get a job unless you have no other options. They don't pay well down there, and they're not exactly plentiful either. There's a surprising number of people local to the area who aren't worth the minimum wage they earn.. you'll be competing with them for positions.

I worked summers in Albuquerque for decent pay rates, and that took care of all my expenses the remainder of the year. You may want to consider something similar.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:21 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexyz2618 View Post

NMT is an excellent school. A jewel. Why work? Immerse yourself in school and graduate. We'll hire you up north. Peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico