Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 07:38 PM

475 posts, read 1,267,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Santa Fe - it completely slipped my mind that we're talking December here. I agree 100% that it's not a good idea to do the high road that time of year. I drove it in October (same trip that included the "mystery restaurant" in SF) with my bro-in-law after his induction into the sports hall of fame at Highlands U. The post above should have said the back road goes from "Truchas to Taos" not Santa Fe.
You could check the weather and do the high road if conditions allowed, I just wouldn't make an over-night reservation there and then be caught without a place to sleep.

You can take the high road all the way From Taos to near Santa Fe if weather permits.. At Chimayo, you would cut down to 503 and then take that through the Nambe Badlands to Nambe and then Pojoaque then 84/285 into Santa Fe. This portion of the High Road is actually fairly low -- lower than Santa Fe or Taos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 07:41 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times

Old 11-30-2009, 06:51 AM

39 posts, read 98,819 times
Thanks for the info & suggestions! SantaFe -- the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge was definitely on my list! Depending on how the weather is, we may or may not drive across. Truchas looks like a neat little town! It will definitely be on my list when we come back, sometime next year, when it's not winter/snowing.

Cava1990 - Rancho Arriba looks great!! I will try to book that one for our next trip.

We had planned to take the 'low road' from Taos to Santa Fe and it's just a day trip, we aren't staying the night in Santa Fe. We can always cancel that portion of our trip at the last minute, and stay in Taos, if need be. We definitely plan on staying on top of weather conditions (have a hand-crank radio w/ weather band, and car emergency kit stuff just in case) before we take off.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:53 AM

4,866 posts, read 4,806,048 times
I strongly recommend the Millicent Rogers Museum.
Millicent Rogers

The Taos Pueblo is also worth a visit.
About Taos Pueblo - New Mexico Native American Indians (http://www.taospueblo.com/about.php - broken link)

The church, and little center around it, in Rancho de Taos is also worth a stop (immediately east of Taos, and you will drive by to/from Espanola/Santa Fe).
San Francisco de Asis - Ranchos de Taos, New Mexico - Great Buildings Online

You will likely have to drive to those places above, but there are quite few other places walkable in town (numerous galleries, Bent St. Plaza, Taos Plaza, Fechin Museum, Kit Carson house, Weaving Souuthwest, etc.).

Get your reservations if you don't yet have them. The Taos Inn was our favorite before moving to NM.
Welcome to The Historic Taos Inn

Old 11-30-2009, 01:29 PM

jiminnm -- That's a good list. I'd also love to see the Mabel Dodge Luhan House, but don't know if you have to stay there or attend a workshop to visit:

The Mabel Dodge Luhan House offering supportive solitude for creative reflection

Old 11-30-2009, 03:41 PM

Meant to say that Rancho de Taos is immediately west of Taos. East would put one on the Pueblo.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Meant to say that Rancho de Taos is immediately west of Taos. East would put one on the Pueblo.
Looking at a Google map, it appears to be immediately southwest. That map however, just gives a point for each place and does not show boundaries. So the impression could be misleading.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:21 PM

it may be southwest, but if the OP goes to/from Santa Fe thru Espanola on 68, they they will pass the church.

That reminds of two other places to stop along the way on 68 - the Black Mesa winery in Velarde (with it's yummy Black Beauty wine, with chocolate hints) and the Vivac winery, at the intersection of 68 and 75 (with merlot and cabernet that rival some of the best red wines in the state).
Black Mesa Winery: New Mexico Wine Velarde, NM. (http://www.blackmesawinery.com/ - broken link)
VIVAC WINERY - FINE NEW MEXICAN WINES & ONLINE STORE

Old 12-01-2009, 10:42 AM

I love wine, and those sound great! I will check out all the places you mentioned - the museums are already on our list and at $20 to visit all 5, I think it's a great deal. Thanks so much for the ideas!

Old 12-01-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Fe View Post
jiminnm -- That's a good list. I'd also love to see the Mabel Dodge Luhan House, but don't know if you have to stay there or attend a workshop to visit:

The Mabel Dodge Luhan House offering supportive solitude for creative reflection

Santa Fe, I SOOOOOO want to go there! Wow. Great prices, too! I wish I'd known about it before I booked this other place. But, the place we will be staying will be absolutely beautiful too. But I will be staying at Mabel Dodge Luhan at some point, and attending a workshop (or two, or three, or... lots)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico