Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:42 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,265,891 times

Advertisements

Southern California before Worlld War II was Southwestern but got overrun by Easterna and Midwestern Americans and really isn't that anymore. I think NM and AZ are still "Southwestern" because they've stayed truer to their Indian and Spanish roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 07:36 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,454,429 times
Southwestern to me means art and culture - Indian Art. Indian jewelry. Indian culture. Navajo culture.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:20 PM

908 posts, read 2,854,474 times
Default The Southwest's unique blend

To me the heart of what's Southwestern is in it's unique blend of cultures. I think each culture that's touched this land has had an impact, and the resultant blend is tolerable because there were some basic facts that each culture had to come to grips with: Lack of resources, geographic isolation, dependence on water sources. The answers may have different flavors, but they're to the same questions. If I had to come up with touch stones of what is Southwestern, I'd consider:

big skies

arid, wide landscapes

earth tones (for art)

Natural materials

hand crafted

adventuresome spirit

open mind

faith

connection to the land.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:41 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,296,465 times
I think of it as location and culture. Visually, I think of it as dry and dusty and mainly desert.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:18 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,032,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaAirmac View Post
To me the heart of what's Southwestern is in it's unique blend of cultures. I think each culture that's touched this land has had an impact, and the resultant blend is tolerable because there were some basic facts that each culture had to come to grips with: Lack of resources, geographic isolation, dependence on water sources. The answers may have different flavors, but they're to the same questions. If I had to come up with touch stones of what is Southwestern, I'd consider:

big skies

arid, wide landscapes

earth tones (for art)

Natural materials

hand crafted

adventuresome spirit

open mind

faith

connection to the land.

what does faith,open mind and adventuresome spirit have to do with being Southewestern?

Old 01-08-2010, 02:45 AM

908 posts, read 2,854,474 times
I think many of the cultural events that are celebrated, photographed and shared as southwestern are rooted in faith. Why do we have farolitos? Because we enjoy filling endless bags with sand, lighting them by candlelight and balancing them precipitously on rounded adobe walls? Why do Native Americans have dances? As a social exercise, like modern day clubbers? Many of the forms in Native American art have deep spiritual meanings. Is Kokopelli just a fun, stylized image of a musician? Is a hand painted retablo just a caricature of a symbolic figure? Why do southwest homes have random holes or 'niches' in the walls? To give people a place to rest their keys, sunglasses and iphones at the end of the day? I think faith is inexorably intertwined with what is southwestern.

As for an open mind and adventuresome spirit, I think people have traditionally looked west for 'wide open spaces.'. I think it attracts people who feel closed in in other places. Not everyone comes, but those that do have that adventuresome spirit. That curiosity about trading traditional east coast success for something different. I don't think of the early Native Americans, the Spanish Colonials or the early white settlers as couch potatoes. I think getting out here was work. Real work. So when I think of southwest I think of those values as being part of it.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:05 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,236,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Other than man-made boundries, how do you typically define the term "southwestsern" in your mind? It it the culture, landscape, lifestyle? I am curious to hear your opinions? Much Thanks!!
Oh jeez, I have to tell about what I recently discovered just going for a liesurely drive to the Spaceport.
El Camino Real, "the kings highway"

Someone said the along this trail, it is know that there are 13 human graves to every mile of it. It's awesome thinking about the human sacrifices made many, many years ago.

El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

New Mexico is very, very rich in History.

HOME

Old 01-08-2010, 06:54 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,919,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Oh jeez, I have to tell about what I recently discovered just going for a liesurely drive to the Spaceport.
El Camino Real, "the kings highway"
The more commonly used name for the specific area is:

Jornada del Muerto

(Journey of Death)

It is part of the larger (longer) trail that extends into Mexico, to which already referred: El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro

Old 01-08-2010, 07:33 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,727,882 times
What constitutes the SW really depends on where you live. People in Houston are of the opinion that the southwest begins at San Antonio and Austin and extends through NM and AZ.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:27 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,919,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
What constitutes the SW really depends on where you live. People in Houston are of the opinion that the southwest begins at San Antonio and Austin and extends through NM and AZ.
That's not a bad geographic description, but I'd move the line a bit west to the Pecos river as it runs through Texas.

When all else fails, there is always this: WIKIPEDIA GEOGRAPHICAL DESCRIPTIONs

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico