Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 07:46 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,911,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Feb 6th ends our 6 month detail in Washington, DC and we finally will be coming home. I can hardly wait to get home. We will spend that weekend in TN with the inlaws then start our travel on Monday morning.

The only drawback is because we are traveling on orders and hubby is on duty, there is a limit as to how many hours we can drive a day. So instead of traveling as quickly as we normally do it will take longer to get home. Just glad to be finally getting home, I have missed Alamo and the snow this year.
Oh yes, take your time. We did central PA to Albuquerque 4 years ago and took the full amount of time allotted for the move. We did a lot of sightseeing along the way. Discovered the Mississippi River stinks, ate at The Big Texan, visited the OK City Memorial...

We did it in summer so the weather was better but still, enjoy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 09:15 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Oh yes, take your time. We did central PA to Albuquerque 4 years ago and took the full amount of time allotted for the move. We did a lot of sightseeing along the way. Discovered the Mississippi River stinks, ate at The Big Texan, visited the OK City Memorial...

We did it in summer so the weather was better but still, enjoy...
we are just keeping our fingers crossed for decent weather, winter is not the best time to be traveling across the country

lisdol, how do you like NM as opposed to PA?

Old 01-28-2010, 10:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,846,981 times
Given today's weather conditions get south to Rt 10 and stay south. I-40 looks to be one long snow storm. Good luck and stay as safe as possible.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:26 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,209,307 times
There is no telling what it will be like in February. Just park the TV on The Weather Channel for a while before you leave (and keep up with all the weather you can get on the road). Sometimes I-40 is OK in February, but sometimes it's a nightmare. I agree with GregW that your odds are better to the south.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:27 PM

We are actually going to drop down to Texarkana and take I 20 and go down to Odessa then to El Paso, hopefully the weather will stay as presently forecasted, which is rain but not freezing rain or snow. fingers crossed

Old 01-28-2010, 11:03 PM

908 posts, read 2,855,507 times
Safe travels!

Old 01-29-2010, 04:53 AM

Thanks for everyone's well wishes for safe travels and the welcome homes.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:26 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,649,333 times
Quote:
Feb 6th ends our 6 month detail in Washington, DC and we finally will be coming home. I can hardly wait to get home. We will spend that weekend in TN with the inlaws then start our travel on Monday morning.

The only drawback is because we are traveling on orders and hubby is on duty, there is a limit as to how many hours we can drive a day. So instead of traveling as quickly as we normally do it will take longer to get home. Just glad to be finally getting home, I have missed Alamo and the snow this year.
Ajzjmsmom

you'll see alot of ground breaking projects (roads, buildings etc.) under construction since you've been gone when you get back to town .

Old 02-02-2010, 02:32 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,911,746 times
Quote:
we are just keeping our fingers crossed for decent weather, winter is not the best time to be traveling across the country

lisdol, how do you like NM as opposed to PA?
Oh I have not lived in PA since 1978. Still have family there - mine and his.

I moved out to NM the first time as a college student and loved it.

We are back now for my husband's second time being assigned here (I met him here the first time he was here).

I don't have any problems with PA in general, but it is expensive to live there compared to other areas, and we do like the mountain west a lot, so I don't see us moving back there.

The only thing that would bring us back there would be a yearning to return to the northeast/mid-atlantic since that is where I grew up. But work will prevent that for some years down the road. I think the closest we could get would be Langley.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:30 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
Quote:

I know you are excited about going back to NM. Drive carefully. I would guess you will be home in a couple more days.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico