Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 05:02 AM

6 posts, read 10,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM64 View Post
Please keep the board updated on your move, how things go, and your impression of the area as you experience the move from an East Coast perspective.

Thanks

I will let you know what we think of Alamogord one we are settle in. My husband is in the Navy due to retire in June and I had live all of my life on the west coast except the last 6 years. The East Coast is like a different contry to me and I miss the west. We are just having a hard time finding a place to rent do to realitors wanting everything done in person and we can not do that until we are there and ready to move in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 12:18 PM

7 posts, read 26,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
NM64 ... here's a cool link of what the Alamogordo amd Otero Co. area looks like here in Southern New Mexico as it's desert, rugged canyons and pine tree mountains.

New Mexico Photos
Thanks, nice photos. It gave me the idea to search photos on Google for Alamogordo. During that search I found this:

House of Prayer Mission - The Homeless (http://www.alamohop.com/page3.html - broken link)

How much of a homeless problem does the town have?

Old 03-22-2010, 09:27 AM

12 posts, read 147,165 times
The closer you are to open areas, the more problems you will have with snakes and other desert animals. We live in town in Las Cruces and I have not seen a snake here (only while hiking in the hills). I also saw a brown teranchula once while hiking, but never in town. We have black widow spiders around our house and patio in the warmer months. You just have to go out at night and spray them if you don't want them near your patio furniture. In the summer we have flying roaches (they go for the outdoor lights), small scorpions (those little tiny ones), house centipedes (the fluffy ones that don't bite), asian centipedes (the large ones that DO sting and bite, like you see in Hawaii) and ants. We often find red ants in the yard. They are bad because they bite! I've also seen termites in the area. We get mosquitoes in the summer. The more moisture, plants, trees you have around, the more mosquitoes. Some years are worse than others. Hate them! LOL

I'm sure the bugs would be about the same in the areas you mentioned. We do a parimeter spray every month or so and only find a few in the house. Some people spray indoors, we don't. The biggest problem is the ants. They come for the cat food or the water, depending on the type of ant. We use the indoor ant bait and they are gone in a few days.

Did you decide where you want to live? Las Cruces has everything. We rarely need to travel outside of Las Cruces unless we go to the airport or a hike. But, it sounds like you want to live out a ways. You will also have to be mindful of coyote, fox and mountain lions out there. I'm not joking, do a Google search on "chihuahuan desert animals". A few years ago a mountain lion grabbed a lady's dog in Las Cruces.

We're finally warming up. We're going to be over 70 degrees today!

I posted a link to this great youtube video. It applies to Las Cruces and the surrounding areas.

YouTube - Why Move To Las Cruces, New Mexico?
Enjoy!

Old 04-23-2010, 07:40 PM

125 posts, read 245,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
NM64 ... here's a cool link of what the Alamogordo amd Otero Co. area looks like here in Southern New Mexico as it's desert, rugged canyons and pine tree mountains.

New Mexico Photos
Thanks for the photo link! I enjoyed them very much!

Old 04-29-2010, 10:09 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,668,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzernecntygent View Post
Thanks for the photo link! I enjoyed them very much!
LOL, well they weren't mine however you're welcome

Old 11-08-2010, 04:47 PM

71 posts, read 157,357 times
Curious to see if you guys did relocate to Alamogordo and what your comments might be. We are seriously considering a move from TX to the area.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:53 AM

76 posts, read 248,902 times
I think you are wrong on two points. First, the fears that LC will suffer because of the problems in Juarez are completely overblown...El Paso is not suffering, so why would LC? Second, you should rethink the idea that ABQ is "too big"...it is very easy to navigate that the traffic is nothing compared to, say, El Paso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico