Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 11:15 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,238,909 times

Advertisements

It still got fairly cold at night when it was in the 80s in winter, didn't it? I wouldn't want days to average 40 or below (although I am not sure whether you mean a 24-hour average or an average high temperature; the former wouldn't be too bad, but the latter is pretty darn cold from my POV).

I have to wear "at least light jackets" here in winter most of the time, but of course that varies with the person. Right now, I'd love the opportunity to get cold. It rained over 6 inches here in two days, and now the humidity is awful, with 73-degree dewpoint and lows in the upper 70s. Yecchh!

I can imagine that Silverton would be gorgeous in winter. I don't remember Ouray well enough. I suppose Durango is too!

I wouldn't mind seeing Red River and Eagle Nest in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 06:56 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,914,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
It still got fairly cold at night when it was in the 80s in winter, didn't it? I wouldn't want days to average 40 or below (although I am not sure whether you mean a 24-hour average or an average high temperature; the former wouldn't be too bad, but the latter is pretty darn cold from my POV).

I have to wear "at least light jackets" here in winter most of the time, but of course that varies with the person. Right now, I'd love the opportunity to get cold. It rained over 6 inches here in two days, and now the humidity is awful, with 73-degree dewpoint and lows in the upper 70s. Yecchh!

I can imagine that Silverton would be gorgeous in winter. I don't remember Ouray well enough. I suppose Durango is too!

The 80 degrees in January is not that common, fortunately....and the nights still do cool off, yes. They have not been cooling off that much until much later on for most of this summer. To me, it has still been warm at 10pm....and even at 12am.

I mean 40s during the day as an average high. January is mostly 50s and up to the high 60s, with occasional 70s to about 80. I was thinking that I should put my tomatoes out or something!!

You have all of my sympathy. I have no doubt that DFW is like a sauna about now. It does that here during the monsoon season--but we haven't had that much rain this summer. Smells wonderful right after it stops, then the sun comes out.....ugh!!

But fall is on its way soon....and it's a nice 55 degrees outside!

Red River and Eagle Nest are on my list. I haven't been up there in a very long time (since I was a child), and I don't remember much about it!

I'll see if I change my tune after a winter in Durango, LOL! Going up for a week of skiing and coming back to warmth is going to be different from spending most of the winter up there!

Most Texans have no idea of what really cold weather is.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:46 AM

7,399 posts, read 19,374,658 times
Catman - are you coming up to the Golden Aspen rally in Ruidoso? It's next week.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:22 PM

I wish I could, but not this year. I'm thinking I may be able to make the Aspencash rally next spring. It's more focused on riding ("poker runs") and isn't as huge.

I've gotten to where I like being the only motorcycle rider in town...my bike is muffled pretty well, and I get tired of all the noise. The Golden Aspen has 30K+ bikes, and that's just too many, especially since many of them are loud pipe types. I come out there for peace and quiet! It's also difficult to find accomodations when the town is so crowded. I imagine many of the locals get tired of it in a hurry.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:54 PM

182 posts, read 470,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post

Silverton is a cute little town. The last time I was there was the second week in October 2008. Most of the shops were closed for the winter. Most everything shuts down for the winter and people move out, but it's definitely beautiful and worth a trip too.

This is one of the few roads in Silverton. It was nice the day we were there, but for the three days ahead it had snowed.

Durango is a great town. I love it. Doesn't feel like a big city, but offers come big city things, like a small mall.

I have spent a lot of time in Eagle Nest. It's great.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:32 AM

Nice photo! I saw it around October 1st, so it hadn't gotten wintry there yet (but it was close).

I live that whole part of the country. Eagle Nest is just so inviting in feel. But I haven't been there when it was below zero and icy.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:55 PM

Thanks. Eagle Nest it tiny. I've only driven through the last couple of times, but when I was little we used to stay there all the time and I just remember, a restaurant, motel and ski shop. And a huge lake with great fishing.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:27 PM

I think it has a certain magic for me because it was the first place in the New Mexico mountains that I ever stayed, when I was taken there at 15 years old by my parents. I don't know about living there, but I still love to visit it!

Old 09-13-2010, 04:26 PM

Yeah, it's one of my dad's favorite places. When he was young, he and his brother would go ice fishing out there. It's like a tradition in our family, to take your kids to Eagle's Nest.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:41 AM

15 posts, read 29,048 times
The Alamogordo area is deteriorating quickly. I see some of the posts are from 2010 and it has gotten worse. The population has declined according to the census by about 5,000 plus almost 6,000. The poverty is more evident than ever with many homeless coming into the area where they can get handouts. Having lived here a long time, I have never seen the area in the condition that it is presently in. The poverty is showing and the pollution generated by Holloman AFB, NM and it's aircraft is also serious although the EPA has not wanted to place monitors for dangerous pollutants in this area. People are complaining about sore throats, even skin rashes when pollution is at it's worse. Clear blue skies that I remember even from years back are rare. There appears to be little pride in taking care of this city as many homeowners probably have never painted their home even once. That goes for businesses too that just look very shabby. Schools are in the same boat. I find it difficult to believe how the city is being allowed to deteriorate. The AF has also created a loss of quality of life with the sonic booming with the F-22 aircraft that is currently here. They have plans for more sonic boom with other aircraft that are projected to come to the area. Property values it is stated will be affected further due to the dangerous noise levels since the AF took airspace over private and public NM lands in the area and turned it into military range in the recent years. Many people won't stay in a declined environment given all that is going on with the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico