Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 07:22 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times

Advertisements

Alamogordo isn't for everyone - but it is nicely located between Las Cruces, El Paso, and Cloudcroft - and all that those mountains and forests have to offer.

Yes. That's why I'm here. I enjoy it and all the beautiful scenery. And not only Alamo--NM in general is not for everybody. It's definitely a different place.

You do understand that I was talking about Mississippi, and not Alamogordo, right...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 11:46 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I remember seeing some statistics that the top three groups moving to New Mexico were from California, New York and Florida (not in that order), but those were numbers from over 10 years ago
Rich
I believe the exodus from California and from New York has hit New Mexico most certainly as well as Colorado and in Arizona. Researching retirement to areas in those three states; I saw many posters from NY/CAL moving to CO (Co Springs), AZ (Prescott, Sierra Vista), NM (Albuq., Santa Fe, Silver City, etc.). We have lived in those places (with exception of Silver City, Santa Fe, Albuq and Prescott) while dh was active duty. We have a pretty good idea of what would be normal given the cost of living rate for area, etc. The mountain area east of Colorado Springs is untouchable unless you want to live in a 646' 1939 cabin.

We checked on Placitas which of course, was out of sight for us (realtor there sniffed .... "we don't have houses up here for less than $400,000".) Edgewood, ditto. Sierra Vista, AZ - costs have gone way up from the level that was normal for that town.

It just gets frustrating to me...

Old 09-01-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
For a small town (16,000 or so), it has a LOT......it is tourist-trappy, yes, and has good restaurants on the whole, along with 2 big City Markets, Albertson's, a SuperWalmart, Home Depot, a mall with several options (including a new Bed/Bath/Beyond) and ......................I got a relo packet from Canon City a year or so ago, and it looks interesting, and I have also been looking at Colorado Springs--but the TRAFFIC...OMG.
Vacationed in Durango 2 summers ago as well as on up to Ouray. We love Durango. Canon City is a cool place. The only negative (and I don't see this as any big deal)( it has a prison there that houses the likes of Ted Bundy and other nuts). In 1989-91 we lived in a cool mountain cabin in Chipita Park (east of Woodland Park & Green Mountain Falls).... gorgeous areas of the Hwy 24 west of Colorado Springs about 15 miles. If you haven't vacationed there, it is gorgeous. CO Springs is growing into Denver. It was so different in early 90s. Calif. NY has discovered the Ute Pass & Co Spgs. very high in the pretty areas.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:57 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,809,336 times
Quote:
Nothing against NM which is very beautiful, but CO has more services and is affordable in selected small towns. Just my take on things.

That is very true in some cases.

I'm splitting my time between Alamo and north of Durango for now, and while Durango itself is not that affordable, some of the outlying areas are more so.

For a small town (16,000 or so), it has a LOT......it is tourist-trappy, yes, and has good restaurants on the whole, along with 2 big City Markets, Albertson's, a SuperWalmart, Home Depot, a mall with several options (including a new Bed/Bath/Beyond) and all manner of specialty shops, etc.

There is a medical center/services, all other services (automotive, veterinary, electrical, HVAC, etc.) and just about everything you could want--other than an affordable cost of living. The in-town RE is just really overpriced.

I got a relo packet from Canon City a year or so ago, and it looks interesting, and I have also been looking at Colorado Springs--but the TRAFFIC...OMG.

Anyway, I hope you find what you are looking for, and good luck!

I have several places on my list, so I'm not done yet, though I still plan to split my time between Durango and Alamo--or wherever else I happen to end up.
I was just around Durango last month. You are right about other towns in proximity of Durango being affordable. Cortez, Mancos, and Dolores are three of them that I witnessed. All 3 seemed very desirable.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northanna_2001 View Post
Vacationed in Durango 2 summers ago as well as on up to Ouray. We love Durango. Canon City is a cool place. The only negative (and I don't see this as any big deal)( it has a prison there that houses the likes of Ted Bundy and other nuts). In 1989-91 we lived in a cool mountain cabin in Chipita Park (east of Woodland Park & Green Mountain Falls).... gorgeous areas of the Hwy 24 west of Colorado Springs about 15 miles. If you haven't vacationed there, it is gorgeous. CO Springs is growing into Denver. It was so different in early 90s. Calif. NY has discovered the Ute Pass & Co Spgs. very high in the pretty areas.
I have heard that Woodland Park is a beautiful place.....and I think Canon City is definitely worth checking out!

I looked (online) at homes in COS for over a year. I was surprised at how affordable they were in many areas--and most with big basements. It's not entirely off my list, though I don't think I could stand the Front Range traffic!

I get the impression (which may or may not be correct) that you have to buy your way into the safer areas in both COS and Santa Fe, NM.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I was just around Durango last month. You are right about other towns in proximity of Durango being affordable. Cortez, Mancos, and Dolores are three of them that I witnessed. All 3 seemed very desirable.
Mancos and Cortez are both on my list, and possibly Hesperus. My little place north of Durango will be a good spot from which to explore all of the possibilities--Farmington, Aztec, small towns in CO, etc.

I am very, very tempted to pack up, store my stuff, leave the furniture here for the time being...and put my house on the market. If I didn't have 4 dogs, I'd probably already have done that.

But I'm also homesick for West Texas.....so I'm going to look in the Davis Mts area later this month. I've got to get that out of my system one way or another.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I have heard that Woodland Park is a beautiful place.....and I think Canon City is definitely worth checking out!

I looked (online) at homes in COS for over a year. I was surprised at how affordable they were in many areas--and most with big basements. It's not entirely off my list, though I don't think I could stand the Front Range traffic!

I get the impression (which may or may not be correct) that you have to buy your way into the safer areas in both COS and Santa Fe, NM.
Woodland Park has just awesomely beautiful. After being in Alaska total of 15 years I am sick of snow; but I would live around some snow again if I found a great deal of a house up there in WP. Beauty all over the place in Ute Pass.... If WP housing not doable, Divide, Cripple Creek, Florissant, Lake George, Cascade, Chipita Park, Green Mountain Falls all might work - all on Hwy 24 west of Colorado Springs. Gangs I think, have accumulated more in the downtown. You should be able to find reasonable (safer area) housing in COS; in other words, No, I really don't think you have to buy your way into safer areas in COS. Cheyenne Zoo area is great (SW COS); far North East and West is good.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northanna_2001 View Post
Woodland Park has just awesomely beautiful. After being in Alaska total of 15 years I am sick of snow; but I would live around some snow again if I found a great deal of a house up there in WP. Beauty all over the place in Ute Pass.... If WP housing not doable, Divide, Cripple Creek, Florissant, Lake George, Cascade, Chipita Park, Green Mountain Falls all might work - all on Hwy 24 west of Colorado Springs. Gangs I think, have accumulated more in the downtown. You should be able to find reasonable (safer area) housing in COS; in other words, No, I really don't think you have to buy your way into safer areas in COS. Cheyenne Zoo area is great (SW COS); far North East and West is good.
Northanna, thanks so much for the information.

I have no doubt that you're sick of snow, given the places in which you've lived.

I have the opposite problem. Having lived in really HOT weather most of my life, I find myself getting more and more sick of it as time goes on. Alamogordo reached 100 today, and that is just as hot or hotter than places in Texas.

So, I'm hard at work on finding another place at some point.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:37 AM

My mistake.....Alamogordo reached 102 yesterday instead of 100.

This is just too @#$%ing hot when we're supposed to be in a cooler monsoon season.

It's already 94 at 9:40am.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:37 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Alamogordo isn't for everyone - but it is nicely located between Las Cruces, El Paso, and Cloudcroft - and all that those mountains and forests have to offer.

Yes. That's why I'm here. I enjoy it and all the beautiful scenery. And not only Alamo--NM in general is not for everybody. It's definitely a different place.

You do understand that I was talking about Mississippi, and not Alamogordo, right...?
Yes I understood that - but I think the same applies to every place, every city. What appeals to one person won't appeal to another and it's kind of sad when a relocation doesn't work out.

I think that's why it's not good if the negative posts about a place aren't allowed because someone trying to decide should read both why some people like it or love it and why others dislike it. That way they're warned fair and square.

I don't care if people don't like where I like to live - in part because I prefer living where there aren't too many people.

I don't live in Alamogordo but I believe I would like it there because it's so near the mountains and Lincoln Forest - I don't see any downside to that. It is warm in Alamogordo - but not very humid so I could like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico