Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 05:15 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzernecntygent View Post
WOW! This is the most negative anti-New Mexico posting that, to my knowledge, I've encountered on City-Data Forums! Granted, New Mexico isn't Hawaii, but it's also not the "Black Hole of Calcutta"! I drove truck for 12 years, many of my runs were logged in the Southwest, including NM, and I never once felt that I was in the "Land of Entrapment"!
The bolded part is someone else's post that I was quoting. Mine is the one below.

And yep, it was extremely negative. If they hate it that much here, I hope they leave and find some other place that suits them better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 05:22 PM

125 posts, read 245,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
The bolded part is someone else's post that I was quoting. Mine is the one below.

And yep, it was extremely negative. If they hate it that much here, I hope they leave and find some other place that suits them better.
Sorry about the confusion, Cathy. The post appeared to all come from you. And I agree, the folks who "buried" NM really need to find a new location to call home.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:59 PM

116 posts, read 251,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax420Jax View Post
Okay, as far as time lived in Alamogordo, I'm gonna take a guess that I've lived here much longer than most of the people who've posted on this thread. If you add all of my time together, I've lived here for about 16 years.

I'm sorry, but for the most part (yes, there are just a few exceptions...there are states worse than here), I don't see why ANYONE would EVER want to come live in New Mexico, much less Alamogordo. Moderator cut: Inappropriate language It is bottom of the barrel. It is extremely poor. It is dead. It is also very hard to move out of here...they don't call it the Land of Entrapment for nothing. I cannot even begin to try and count how many people I've seen who have moved away from Alamogordo and come back--it's myriad--a decent deal of those people have left and come back several times. I'm one of those victims.

To anyone considering moving here, I highly recommend that you do not.

For the most part, the state is desert, desert, and more desert. Besides Arizona, it is the hottest state. Summer is my favorite season, and it's often very hard for me to enjoy it sometimes because of the heat...who wants to go out in temperatures up in the 100s? I am a very cold natured person; I feel comfortable right around 77-80 degrees, and in the summer I feel like I'm dying. So I can only imagine how bad it is for those who are not cold natured.

If I could describe Alamogordo in one word, it'd be ugly. To start off, it's ugly on the surface. Lots of run-down, junky buildings. Lots of unoccupied buildings that sit there for years and never get leased. Besides the main ones, there are some seriously crappy roads. The upkeep on construction around here is very low. It sucks because within the past, oh, two years I'd say, the availability of jobs in construction is lowering rapidly. Moderator cut: Inappropriate language People around here litter as if anyplace outside at all is a trash can. There's no special places to go in Alamo--all the businesses, public parks, and nature areas and things you can find anywhere else, and done much better. The only special thing around here isn't even in town--which is the White Sands National Monument. And that's ONE thing...so it shouldn't necessarily be something that tips the scale for your decision to move here more in its favor. Most of the houses, trailers, and apartments around here are garbage, unless you make damn good money, which is DEVASTATINGLY, EXTREMELY hard around this area, even with a degree.

It's also ugly because of what's on the inside. The town is flooded with meth addicts. People here are often one, more, or sometimes even all of the following: very judgmental, non-tolerant, a follower, a crazy religious freak (it's ridiculous how many churches there are for this relatively small town--and I believe in God myself, just not organized religion and I'm sure being exposed to this town for so long has something to do with it) the type to feed off negativity, uneducated, illogical, dumb, and rude. It's absolutely ridiculous. I still cannot believe there's so many bad apples here.

Here's something scary to be thought about: the hospital here is a joke, and always has been since I've lived here. I am flabbergasted by just how many horror stories I've heard Moderator cut: This is not the right place for consumer complaints. Such posts present defamation issues and they don't give the other side the opportunity to present their side of the argument. Many have died or gotten seriously close to death because of the frequency of misdiagnosis. I've been a victim of it myself a couple times, and due to my experience and the stories of others, I refuse to go there now--I go to a private clinic or haul my ass all the way to Las Cruces, which has an outstanding medical team...but is 45 minutes away. Again, ridiculous!

There is nothing to do here. No fun activities or events to engage in. If you like being bored out of your mind sitting at home all the time, or settling for the town's absurd attempts at entertainment (if you don't believe me, just Google "events in Alamogordo" or something similar and you'll see what I'm talking about), then I guess that part of Alamogordo won't bother you as much. Because of lack of fun in Alamo, that's why I believe a large chunk of the youth around here does a hell of a lot of drugs. It cures the boredom. I should know, I was one of them and know tons of other people who did that too, or are still doing it.

Gosh, I just wanna keep typing paragraph after paragraph Moderator cut: Inappropriate language (one of the single only good things here is that some of the posters were correct--the violent crime rate is low), but this post is already on the brink of being verbose.

All I can say is, in conclusion, if anyone is considering moving to New Mexico, and especially Alamogordo, DON'T. I can almost guarantee that you'll regret your decision horribly.
If ur that unhappy why don't just move and find a place that does. And as for drugs in this place ive been to place that's worse. THERE IS DRUGS EVERYWHERE! and it is really sad to see. How do u know that ppl who move here will be unhappy. Ppl movere for different reasons mine was for family and I am happy here for the first time in a long time. And as for having nothing to do that's pretty much everywhere too unless u move to the city. I really hope u don# happiness cause it really sound like u aren't.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:42 PM

8 posts, read 17,277 times
Default Why am I receiving personal attacks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdude2018 View Post
You know what...I don't care what you think I still love it here. I chose to move here and have not regretted that decision.
I'm assuming because your screename includes "af", that you're in the Air Force--my father was for 22 years and is now a civilian. He was stationed at Holloman for over 10 years. He horribly regretted his decision moving here--we came from Florida. To each his own, though.

Quote:
Victims? You came back when you apparently hate it this much? Why?
Lots of people in the world live in places they don't want to, or move to places they don't necessarily want to. I've come back because it is cheap to live here (rent/housing wise, not so much utility wise). Because this state is so excruciatingly poor, I've had a lot of trouble being able to make it anywhere else. I don't want to just settle for somewhere else that I don't absolutely love, because of what I've been exposed to here. So I've chosen some rather expensive areas, like California and Oregon. It is very difficult saving enough here just to make ends meet somewhere else. It's especially difficult with the skyrocketing of inflation and the low availability of jobs considering how many people have been getting laid off in this country of late, and it doesn't seem to be letting up anytime soon. That is why now, I'm trying to gather multiple people (my boyfriend, members of his family, members of my family) who are solidly for moving somewhere else, so that we can all combine our funds, and also lift our chances for finding employment quicker between us; as opposed to one or two people hoping to land a job soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawk57 View Post
Jax420Jax. I am sorry that your experience here was so terrible. The reason people move back is that they find that it wasn't so bad here. Many of the things that you mentioned as negatives has to do with the fact that this is the state of the WORLD. It also bothers me that people dirty things with litter and such but it is happening everywhere, not just in New Mexico. I do my part not to do those things. Since you say you believe in God why don't you look in your bible at 2 Timothy 3:1-5. Because of that attitude on the part of the many the world situation is what it is. I have lived in many different places and I have lived here for the third time. I love this place!!! Not the town but the beauty that surrounds it. But I think the town has also cleaned up alot over the years. I remember what White Sands BLVD used to look like and it doesn't look like that anymore. We who love this place don't mind if you don't want to live here!!!!
Thank you, it was refreshing to see a positive reply amongst all the personal, negative attacks on me. I was merely giving my honest opinion, and for some odd reason, several people attacked me personally...I don't understand. I realize my post was heavily negative, but I was bashing the city and state, and nobody in particular.

Anyway, I gave off a slightly wrong impression, because I love my life, and make Alamogordo work for me the best that I can while I live here (that's all I have done, I've been here for 16 years). I know heaps of people in the town because I've lived here for so long, so have made many friends and have great memories. I just don't like my environment. I wanted to make it clear how all of my points are a popular opinion according to long-time residents here. If I had to estimate the ratio of people who agree with everything I said about this town and therefore dislike it strongly compared to people who enjoy it, I'd say it's 80/20. Keep in mind that I moved here when I was in elementary school, and am now 23, and have talked to more people than I could ever even attempt to count. I rarely run across somebody who likes Alamo. I still hear residents of the town frequently state their dislike for this place--even today I talked to someone about it. I didn't want to sugarcoat anything that I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
That's a preposterous statement considering that AZ, NV and CA all have desert areas below sea level that are the true hot spots. All of NM desert areas are well above sea level. Try sitting out at midnight in someplace like Las Vegas, Barstow or El Centro and then tell me how hot Alamo is at midnight!

The rest of your rant is just that - ranting - and hopefully you've now relieved yourself (and us) of further need.

I was referring to the state as a whole, and on an average scale as far as climate goes, not certain areas of other states that indeed get hotter than this state. Overall, NM has more places that have higher temperatures.

Of course my post can be considered ranting--it was. Just as a positive post about something is considering raving. That doesn't mean it doesn't simultaneously offer some useful information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
As has been said jillions of times, "It ain't the heat, it's the humidity!" That is, unless it's the Mojave desert - and then it's just d____ hot, period!
Humidity makes the heat more unbearable, I will definitely agree with you on that one. Just like the wind creates a higher chill factor. All I was trying to say is that NM has higher temperatures year-round than most places in the US which fluctuate more as the seasons change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzernecntygent View Post
WOW! This is the most negative anti-New Mexico posting that, to my knowledge, I've encountered on City-Data Forums! Granted, New Mexico isn't Hawaii, but it's also not the "Black Hole of Calcutta"! I drove truck for 12 years, many of my runs were logged in the Southwest, including NM, and I never once felt that I was in the "Land of Entrapment"!
But have you actually lived here? And on that note, for a lengthy period of time? It's different when you're visiting here and there, even if it is for 12 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
Odd as i just reciently started a thread here about a shortage of construction workers in this city as White Sands Construction Co. has been looking for employees for all the numerous projects around town currently although maybe it has something to do with ''you admitting'' that you use meth as to why you're unemployed and bored
I have a lot of friends in the construction business, and two friends who own their own companies. While as some workers leave they'll need to hire people here and there (it's not like they're never going to hire again), overall, the construction business has been declining.

Also, I never admitted to using meth in particular, I admitted to using drugs in my youth. I also never said I was unemployed. You're wrong on both counts. What an assumption to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
LOL ... how ironic
Why are you insinuating that I'm a bad apple, when all you know about me is a single negative post I made about NM? Surely you can't believe it's logical to label me as one based on that alone.

Quote:
My post was pushing being the epitome of negative as far as a view on this state goes. As mentioned, I just didn't want to sugarcoat. I usually try and block the things that I said out of my mind, but since there was a thread about disappointment with Alamogordo, I figured I'd be brutally honest. I felt like it's something people need to hear if they are planning on moving here.

That's the plan for me--to move away, and never come back to live here again. Another thing previously mentioned is that it is massively difficult on an epic scale to move from a poor state to an expensive one, excluding some of the lucky ones who are in the military and get transferred, get accepted to a school and have generous grants/loans to help with the cost of living, etc. For the majority of people I've talked to, they've all had heaps of trouble, hence why many return here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator89 View Post
If ur that unhappy why don't just move and find a place that does.
Easier said than done. It takes a long time. If I were born and raised in expensive Cali, for example, and was wanting to move to cheap New Mexico, the transistion would be a piece of cake.

Quote:
And as for drugs in this place ive been to place that's worse. THERE IS DRUGS EVERYWHERE! and it is really sad to see.
Yes, there are drugs everywhere. Some cities and towns have it worse than others, and some places have a larger popularity of one kind of drug compared to another places that has a prevalence of a different kind. I'd rather live somewhere where marijuana and the hallucinogens are popular rather than a place where meth, crack, cocaine, and heroin are popular. JMO.

Quote:
How do u know that ppl who move here will be unhappy. Ppl movere for different reasons mine was for family and I am happy here for the first time in a long time. And as for having nothing to do that's pretty much everywhere too unless u move to the city. I really hope u don# happiness cause it really sound like u aren't.
Of course I don't believe that every single person who moves here will hate it. A lot of posts on city-data could give that impression; many posters say things like, "You will hate it here" or "You will love it here", and of course in the back of their mind they know that either of those statements don't exactly pertain to everybody in the world.

I've traveled a lot all over the US, and I've run across towns about this size that had things to do. If I had a nickel for every time I've heard somebody in this town say, "There's nothing to do here", I'd be rich.

I am very happy with my life. Like I said, I actually try to live life with as much fulfillment as possible no matter where I live. I just try to arrange the few activities I can come up with to do around here to keep things as positive as possible for myself; go to a house party, have a barbecue with friends, go to one of the waterfalls or rivers, etc. I just know there's a better place out there for me where I can do the activities I mentioned, plus loads more.

I'd just like to ask a favor to the posters who reply to me--please keep it positive. You may be scratching your head wondering why I'd ask that when my previous post was nothing but negative. But here's the difference: it was bashing the state of NM, because I wanted to give an honest opinion of many multiple residents here--it was not personal attacks like I have received.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:52 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,030,489 times
Quote:
I'm assuming because your screename includes "af", that you're in the Air Force--my father was for 22 years and is now a civilian. He was stationed at Holloman for over 10 years. He horribly regretted his decision moving here--we came from Florida. To each his own, though.

Lots of people in the world live in places they don't want to, or move to places they don't necessarily want to. I've come back because it is cheap to live here (rent/housing wise, not so much utility wise). Because this state is so excruciatingly poor, I've had a lot of trouble being able to make it anywhere else. I don't want to just settle for somewhere else that I don't absolutely love, because of what I've been exposed to here. So I've chosen some rather expensive areas, like California and Oregon. It is very difficult saving enough here just to make ends meet somewhere else. It's especially difficult with the skyrocketing of inflation and the low availability of jobs considering how many people have been getting laid off in this country of late, and it doesn't seem to be letting up anytime soon. That is why now, I'm trying to gather multiple people (my boyfriend, members of his family, members of my family) who are solidly for moving somewhere else, so that we can all combine our funds, and also lift our chances for finding employment quicker between us; as opposed to one or two people hoping to land a job soon enough.

Thank you, it was refreshing to see a positive reply amongst all the personal, negative attacks on me. I was merely giving my honest opinion, and for some odd reason, several people attacked me personally...I don't understand. I realize my post was heavily negative, but I was bashing the city and state, and nobody in particular.

Anyway, I gave off a slightly wrong impression, because I love my life, and make Alamogordo work for me the best that I can while I live here (that's all I have done, I've been here for 16 years). I know heaps of people in the town because I've lived here for so long, so have made many friends and have great memories. I just don't like my environment. I wanted to make it clear how all of my points are a popular opinion according to long-time residents here. If I had to estimate the ratio of people who agree with everything I said about this town and therefore dislike it strongly compared to people who enjoy it, I'd say it's 80/20. Keep in mind that I moved here when I was in elementary school, and am now 23, and have talked to more people than I could ever even attempt to count. I rarely run across somebody who likes Alamo. I still hear residents of the town frequently state their dislike for this place--even today I talked to someone about it. I didn't want to sugarcoat anything that I said.

I was referring to the state as a whole, and on an average scale as far as climate goes, not certain areas of other states that indeed get hotter than this state. Overall, NM has more places that have higher temperatures.

Of course my post can be considered ranting--it was. Just as a positive post about something is considering raving. That doesn't mean it doesn't simultaneously offer some useful information.

Humidity makes the heat more unbearable, I will definitely agree with you on that one. Just like the wind creates a higher chill factor. All I was trying to say is that NM has higher temperatures year-round than most places in the US which fluctuate more as the seasons change.

But have you actually lived here? And on that note, for a lengthy period of time? It's different when you're visiting here and there, even if it is for 12 years.

I have a lot of friends in the construction business, and two friends who own their own companies. While as some workers leave they'll need to hire people here and there (it's not like they're never going to hire again), overall, the construction business has been declining.

Also, I never admitted to using meth in particular, I admitted to using drugs in my youth. I also never said I was unemployed. You're wrong on both counts. What an assumption to make.

Why are you insinuating that I'm a bad apple, when all you know about me is a single negative post I made about NM? Surely you can't believe it's logical to label me as one based on that alone.

My post was pushing being the epitome of negative as far as a view on this state goes. As mentioned, I just didn't want to sugarcoat. I usually try and block the things that I said out of my mind, but since there was a thread about disappointment with Alamogordo, I figured I'd be brutally honest. I felt like it's something people need to hear if they are planning on moving here.

That's the plan for me--to move away, and never come back to live here again. Another thing previously mentioned is that it is massively difficult on an epic scale to move from a poor state to an expensive one, excluding some of the lucky ones who are in the military and get transferred, get accepted to a school and have generous grants/loans to help with the cost of living, etc. For the majority of people I've talked to, they've all had heaps of trouble, hence why many return here.

Easier said than done. It takes a long time. If I were born and raised in expensive Cali, for example, and was wanting to move to cheap New Mexico, the transistion would be a piece of cake.

Yes, there are drugs everywhere. Some cities and towns have it worse than others, and some places have a larger popularity of one kind of drug compared to another places that has a prevalence of a different kind. I'd rather live somewhere where marijuana and the hallucinogens are popular rather than a place where meth, crack, cocaine, and heroin are popular. JMO.

Of course I don't believe that every single person who moves here will hate it. A lot of posts on city-data could give that impression; many posters say things like, "You will hate it here" or "You will love it here", and of course in the back of their mind they know that either of those statements don't exactly pertain to everybody in the world.

I've traveled a lot all over the US, and I've run across towns about this size that had things to do. If I had a nickel for every time I've heard somebody in this town say, "There's nothing to do here", I'd be rich.

I am very happy with my life. Like I said, I actually try to live life with as much fulfillment as possible no matter where I live. I just try to arrange the few activities I can come up with to do around here to keep things as positive as possible for myself; go to a house party, have a barbecue with friends, go to one of the waterfalls or rivers, etc. I just know there's a better place out there for me where I can do the activities I mentioned, plus loads more.

I'd just like to ask a favor to the posters who reply to me--please keep it positive. You may be scratching your head wondering why I'd ask that when my previous post was nothing but negative. But here's the difference: it was bashing the state of NM, because I wanted to give an honest opinion of many multiple residents here--it was not personal attacks like I have received.

why are you recieving personal attacks, the reason..........if you state a negative opinion, people will attack you through messages then go on to describe how friendly and accepting the people of NM are, I wouldnt worry about it too much, say what you gotta say, there are negative and positive sides to everything in life.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:38 AM

8 posts, read 17,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
why are you recieving personal attacks, the reason..........if you state a negative opinion, people will attack you through messages then go on to describe how friendly and accepting the people of NM are, I wouldnt worry about it too much, say what you gotta say, there are negative and positive sides to everything in life.
Well, the reason I was wondering is because it befuddled me. There's something I've been saying for years every time something similar to that happens, which is that I don't understand how a person can be negative toward somebody who wasn't negative toward them first. I realize it's just the way of the world...nobody would ever be negative to anybody if we all only decided to lash out if someone started it first, because no one would be starting it--hope that makes sense in the way I worded it.

I've been posting on many different message boards for about nine years, and I've brought this up multiple times before. The reason why is because I prefer my visits to forums to be a nice one.

It was far from a nice statement when I described some of the people I've encountered in NM, but that was my true opinion because of some of the actions I've seen done by them. I wasn't trying to alienate any one person.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:15 AM

116 posts, read 251,260 times
Quote:

I never meant to attack u. And I an sorry I offended u. And I'm sorry I made u sound like u r unhappy its just ur post made u sound like ur unhappy. So I guess I need to stop judging books by its cover. I appreciate ur opinion but I'm also going to give u mine. Ppl need to hear both sides tje good and th bad and I love ur honesty. I know its easier said than done to move but sometime u just got to just pick up and leave. And what difference what kinda drugs are in the town. It's all bad for everybody. U can still overdose on weed and die

Old 06-15-2010, 05:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
So how about the opposite situation? I would be moving from an area with a Cost of Living (COL) index around 120 and, if I moved to Alamo, it would be to a COL of 80 or so. The 40% difference is just about as much as my income would drop when I retire. From your posts it sounds like I could live fairly well if I could handle the boredom.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:02 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times

Well, I wish you the best of luck in your quest, and I hope it works out for you. You're young--and I think that you have a lot to look forward to.

As for New Mexico, it IS a poor state--and will most likely always BE a poor state.

It came very late to statehood, but then so did Arizona, yet Arizona is light years ahead of NM in many respects, even with their grim economy right now.

As long as you have a state that is heavily dependent on tourism and seems obsessed about setting aside wilderness areas at the expense of real high-paying job creation, it's no wonder.

So much of NM is made up of public lands and military bases--along with yet more land taken up by reservations. So there is not a lot for development, and that makes NM RE more expensive relative to income levels here than it is in some other states.

Those three things alone hinder development, infrastructure and job creation. There is a heavy dependence on government for jobs, welfare services, etc. While the military does create jobs and services, they are transient by their very nature. If Holloman ever closes, Alamo will probably come very close to dying on the vine.

I've heard the politicians state that they want to have a higher graduation rate (at all levels) and keep their young here. Well...if there are so few jobs, they aren't going to stay here.

Someone asked me once why I waited so long to come here--money and jobs again are the answer. I never could have made the money anywhere in NM that I did in my native Texas.

Texas is a wealthy state simply because most of the land is privately owned. It's business-friendly and has a developed infrastructure.

New Mexico's outstanding attributes are its stunning scenery, mostly friendly people and weather (minus the hot summers in the south)....and its heavy reliance on tourism.

The road system of NM is much better than it was in the 1960s, but the fact that it has to be developed around the aforementioned means that it's going to be limited.

It's NOT business-friendly, and it may never be. There are times when I think TPTB are determined to drive away all good-paying jobs, tax to death and keep things the same because they prefer it that way. That's OK, but it just means that NM will most likely remain a poor state.

I'll also be the first to admit that it's different as a retiree than it is for someone struggling to make ends meet.

End of ramble....good luck!

Last edited by Cathy4017; 06-15-2010 at 09:20 AM..

Old 06-15-2010, 09:27 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,084,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doesn't matter
.... 1,000 lines of text from the post
directly above or very close to this post ...

line 1
line 2
: : :
line 999
line 1,000
A couple of lines of my own text.

Am I the only one who finds this to be a lazy and irritating way to post?
I just read all that crap. There is a [Reply] button and a [quote] button.
Why is it so difficult to distinguish between the two and what they are for?

I would think an I.Q. of 40 would be sufficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico