Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2010, 02:31 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,917,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Cathy4017: We've already had a minimum temperature of 81 degrees here in Ft Worth, and of course it was a humid 81.

Why don't you just move up the road to Cloudcroft? It's a lot cooler there, as you know. IMO, High Rolls would be just about perfect climatically.
Yes. But Cloudcroft is also very expensive! I have looked in both CC and Ruidoso for the past 2 years, and cannot find anything I can really live with, unless it's pretty pricey! Most of what I've found in the lower ranges has needed extensive work.

Check your mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 11:47 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,241,899 times
Done. Yes, too many people know about CC and Ruidoso now. Timberon appears to have a nearby ideal climate too, but it's a bit remote. Real estate seems quite reasonable there (uh-oh, now I've done it!).

Old 06-18-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Done. Yes, too many people know about CC and Ruidoso now. Timberon appears to have a nearby ideal climate too, but it's a bit remote. Real estate seems quite reasonable there (uh-oh, now I've done it!).
Timberon won't grow to any appreciable level until they get the water situation straightened out, and that's going to take money from the state. Having said that, the people who live up there are up there for very specific reasons--and I imagine the isolation is one of them!

The climate is dang near perfect. It must have been really interesting up there before they got the paved road in!

Last edited by Cathy4017; 06-18-2010 at 07:31 AM..

Old 06-18-2010, 11:44 AM

I meant to type "nearly ideal climate", but "nearby" works too since I was discussing it with someone in Alamogordo!

The first time I was in Red River in the early 60s, the only access from the east was by a dirt road, the old one with lots of switchbacks. It can still be found.

What water situation needs to be straightened out in Timberon? Since fire seems to be the most likely natural threat up there, the last thing they need is problems with the water supply.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:12 PM

Check your mail.....

Old 06-19-2010, 12:55 AM

Got it! Thanks.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:54 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,486,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
End of ramble....good luck!
Since I agree completely with mortimer's tirade (I'm using that term in a nice way ) about excessive quoting I won't copy all of cathy's quote. But having spent most of my first 40 years in Alaska, I'm absolutely struck by the similarities between AK and NM. Two of the youngest states in the US, both with large native American populations who were here long before the white man showed up, both largely dependent on tourism and government jobs, both with most land owned by the federal government and the native populations, both with large poor rural areas, both with a large divide between a smaller percentage of folks who have good paying jobs and a larger percentage who have very poor paying or no jobs at all, both with a limited road system (AK much more than NM), both with incredible scenery and natural beauty, both with vast open stretches of earth and sky, etc.

AK has lots of oil, which has elevated the standard of living for many folks up there but not for everyone. NM has oil too (used to have more) but it appears it's peak oil producing days are behind it and for whatever reason NM wasn't able to leverage its oil into improving the standard of living for its residents nearly as much as AK. Maybe cause those days are too long gone or maybe the state just wasn't able to carve off as much money for itself and its residents from the oil companies.

I grew up in AK before oil was found. Folks had less money then, but there just seemed to be more optimism there back then versus what I see and hear in NM these days. Maybe cause it was earlier simpler times. But I think part of it is that now lots of folks want it all. They see "stuff" (houses, lifestyles, cars, vacations to exotic places...) on TV and the internet, and they want the same stuff. But too many either are stuck in a life they can't rise from or they aren't interested in working hard enough to earn their stuff. And when they can't get their own stuff too many of them give up, turn to drugs or otherwise drop out of things.

This isn't meant to criticize everyone who's having a tough time in life. Being near retirement and having a good paying job, I realize I have lived a blessed life. And I certainly don't have any answers for how to fix things. But my point is that while there are huge similarities between AK and NM IMO, the general attitude of folks in AK (regardless of their economic status) seems a lot more positive than here in NM.

Maybe I've just gotten a poor read on how folks here view life on average. Maybe a large segment of folks in AK aren't as positive as I think. Maybe the state government in AK really has done a much better job of helping those who need help. I don't know. But I continue to wonder why most folks in AK think tomorrow will be a better day when it seems like a fair number of folks in NM don't look at life the same way.

Hope this isn't too far off topic, but I've been so struck by my observations about this that I thought it was worth mentioning to see what others think about it.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:23 AM

Interesting observations! I can't comment on AK much, not ever having been there.

But it seems like the severe winter climate would definitely affect growth and development up there--road systems, etc.

It's on my list. I'll hope to go next summer!

Old 06-20-2010, 02:15 PM

7,399 posts, read 19,376,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Timberon won't grow to any appreciable level until they get the water situation straightened out, and that's going to take money from the state. Having said that, the people who live up there are up there for very specific reasons--and I imagine the isolation is one of them!

The climate is dang near perfect. It must have been really interesting up there before they got the paved road in!
Yep, Timberon has a great climate, mostly all year. The water situation isn't all that great but the whole state has problems from what I've heard. The trouble with the water here is mostly a couple of nonTimberonians on the water board that like to sue all the time. The more lawsuits, the less money we have to spend on what can be used for water but I won't get into that.
Hopefully Timberon will grow more one day and we can get some stuff going on here.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:25 PM

But if Timberon grows much, wouldn't that lessen its charm? I noticed it has a big road network for its population, so I suppose it is expected to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico