Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 09:56 AM

125 posts, read 245,106 times

Advertisements

[quote=mortimer;14624650]A couple of lines of my own text.

Am I the only one who finds this to be a lazy and irritating way to post?
I just read all that crap. There is a [Reply] button and a
Quote:
button.
Why is it so difficult to distinguish between the two and what they are for?

I would think an I.Q. of 40 would be sufficient.
Not to offend any OP , but I stop reading a post when it exceeds 15-20 lines, depending upon the subject matter. I do not even bother to read a post that contains an excessive number of previously posted (quoted) lines. Again, my limit for a quoted post is about 15-20 lines, depending upon the subject material. I suggest that everyone check out other types of forums, you will not see posts that resemble the preamble to the Constitution.

PS I see that the "quote" button worked well on this post!

Last edited by luzernecntygent; 06-15-2010 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: Additional text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 10:51 AM

259 posts, read 851,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax420Jax View Post
I'm assuming because your screename includes "af", that you're in the Air Force--my father was for 22 years and is now a civilian. He was stationed at Holloman for over 10 years. He horribly regretted his decision moving here--we came from Florida. To each his own, though.
I used to be in the AF. Just got out in October. I was stationed at Ellsworth for 6 years and living there got me acclimated to living away from the East Coast. I came from PA and so did my wife. We both love it here, but we were already used to living in a more rural setting then we're used to when we lived in PA because of the time we spent in South Dakota. We plan on making this state and town our home for what will hopefully be a long time.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:48 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,918,605 times
It's not even necessary to use the "quote" button. Simply highlight, cut and paste whatever it is you're responding to in the reply window, be sure to highlight the pasted text, then use the little symbol at the top of each reply window, like this: and it will automatically be included between quotes.
Quote:
It'll look like this when you submit your reply.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:14 AM

8 posts, read 17,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tator89 View Post
I never meant to attack u. And I an sorry I offended u. And I'm sorry I made u sound like u r unhappy its just ur post made u sound like ur unhappy. So I guess I need to stop judging books by its cover. I appreciate ur opinion but I'm also going to give u mine. Ppl need to hear both sides tje good and th bad and I love ur honesty. I know its easier said than done to move but sometime u just got to just pick up and leave. And what difference what kinda drugs are in the town. It's all bad for everybody. U can still overdose on weed and die
Thank you, and it's all good dude.

Yes, I am a strong believer in hearing both sides of the story. That's why often when I hear something in life that sounds really one-sided to me (a good example that comes to mind is when two people get into an argument/fight, and one person is telling me about it later), I always go and confront the other side before making up my mind about the situation. I'm all for people scanning to find the posts that present the good things about New Mexico and/or Alamogordo. There are some, indeed. I just listed only the negative things in my posts, because I personally feel that the bad far outweighs the good. JMO though.

Actually, I've done heaps of research from many reputable sources on marijuana for years, and I can tell you that it's clinically impossible to overdose on. As far as all the other popular street drugs go, however, you definitely can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
So how about the opposite situation? I would be moving from an area with a Cost of Living (COL) index around 120 and, if I moved to Alamo, it would be to a COL of 80 or so. The 40% difference is just about as much as my income would drop when I retire. From your posts it sounds like I could live fairly well if I could handle the boredom.
Absolutely. As I said in my previous post, "If I were born and raised in expensive Cali, for example, and was wanting to move to cheap New Mexico, the transistion would be a piece of cake." You are very fortunate, being that you currently live in an area with a COL index of 120.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Well, I wish you the best of luck in your quest, and I hope it works out for you. You're young--and I think that you have a lot to look forward to.
Thank you. Everything truly does happen for a reason, and everything in life happens precisely when it is supposed to. I know my time is coming.

Quote:
As for New Mexico, it IS a poor state--and will most likely always BE a poor state.

It came very late to statehood, but then so did Arizona, yet Arizona is light years ahead of NM in many respects, even with their grim economy right now.

As long as you have a state that is heavily dependent on tourism and seems obsessed about setting aside wilderness areas at the expense of real high-paying job creation, it's no wonder.

So much of NM is made up of public lands and military bases--along with yet more land taken up by reservations. So there is not a lot for development, and that makes NM RE more expensive relative to income levels here than it is in some other states.

Those three things alone hinder development, infrastructure and job creation. There is a heavy dependence on government for jobs, welfare services, etc. While the military does create jobs and services, they are transient by their very nature. If Holloman ever closes, Alamo will probably come very close to dying on the vine.
I'm on the fence as far as the wilderness subject goes. I actually think it's a good thing--we only have so much of it's beauty in the world and once we rid any of those areas, it takes a lifetime or two to get it back to the way it was if TPTB or residents tried to put it back.

Could you further elaborate on the tourism issue? I would think that that would actually create more jobs.

You would be correct about the military. I honestly don't know what can be done about this. Personally I'm against some of the jobs they create; mostly anything having to do with war. Yet the military and other government jobs seem to have the most availability for jobs right now, which is helping lots of folks have some way out of a financial disaster. I wish there was some alternative way to create more jobs that wasn't simultaneously creating demolition in the world. It seems there isn't any way though, or it hasn't been thought of (or put into action) yet, which explains the economy right now.

Quote:
Texas is a wealthy state simply because most of the land is privately owned. It's business-friendly and has a developed infrastructure.
Too bad NM doesn't allow itself to gain any influence from TX as far this goes.

Quote:
It's NOT business-friendly, and it may never be. There are times when I think TPTB are determined to drive away all good-paying jobs, tax to death and keep things the same because they prefer it that way. That's OK, but it just means that NM will most likely remain a poor state.
The question is, why? Why do you think they prefer it this way? Do you think it's perhaps because TPTB are comfortable themselves, so the hell with everyone else? There's got to be a better explanation. At least I hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdude2018 View Post
I used to be in the AF. Just got out in October. I was stationed at Ellsworth for 6 years and living there got me acclimated to living away from the East Coast. I came from PA and so did my wife. We both love it here, but we were already used to living in a more rural setting then we're used to when we lived in PA because of the time we spent in South Dakota. We plan on making this state and town our home for what will hopefully be a long time.
I've visited near the Ellsworth area a few times for a decent visiting period of time each time, in Rapid City. I've briefly visited a couple of other towns in SD. If I were given a choice on whether to live in SD or NM, I'd choose NM. As mentioned in my first post, I do think there are some worse states than NM. In a nutshell, it's because of the cold, the [more than NM] barrenness, and in my experience and from what I hear from others, lots of the folks not taking too kindly to outsiders or people really different than the masses up there. I may strongly dislike it here, but I dislike it even more in some other places. I guess I'm just extremely picky when it comes to where I live--I want to be in a place where it's a dreamy paradise in almost every way in my eyes. I'm glad you enjoy NM. I've lived here for a very long time, and I feel as though my time is done. You've spent a fraction of the time that I have here, so you probably still have a lot more to discover about the state compared to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
It's not even necessary to use the "quote" button. Simply highlight, cut and paste whatever it is you're responding to in the reply window, be sure to highlight the pasted text, then use the little symbol at the top of each reply window, like this: and it will automatically be included between quotes.
Personally I prefer using the quote button so that the person I'm replying to will easily be able to tell that I'm speaking to them. It really comes in handy for me if I'm replying to multiple people in one post. That way, they don't have to take a minute to figure out where I replied to them, and possibly end up reading replies (or parts of them) to other people if they don't wish to, and only wish to read the part of my post that's directed exclusively at them.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:08 AM

259 posts, read 851,281 times
Quote:
I've visited near the Ellsworth area a few times for a decent visiting period of time each time, in Rapid City. I've briefly visited a couple of other towns in SD. If I were given a choice on whether to live in SD or NM, I'd choose NM. As mentioned in my first post, I do think there are some worse states than NM. In a nutshell, it's because of the cold, the [more than NM] barrenness, and in my experience and from what I hear from others, lots of the folks not taking too kindly to outsiders or people really different than the masses up there. I may strongly dislike it here, but I dislike it even more in some other places. I guess I'm just extremely picky when it comes to where I live--I want to be in a place where it's a dreamy paradise in almost every way in my eyes. I'm glad you enjoy NM. I've lived here for a very long time, and I feel as though my time is done. You've spent a fraction of the time that I have here, so you probably still have a lot more to discover about the state compared to me.

Yes we still have plenty more to discover here. Some people would hate some of the things I do like driving to Las Cruces almost every other weekend, but I don't mind driving there. NM may grow old to me over time, but right now it fits me pretty well. I don't mind travelling and love the outdoors. Making my first trip to Elephant Butte this weekend. The only thing I don't like is the extreme heat, but I'm slowly getting used to it.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:24 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times
I'm on the fence as far as the wilderness subject goes. I actually think it's a good thing--we only have so much of it's beauty in the world and once we rid any of those areas, it takes a lifetime or two to get it back to the way it was if TPTB or residents tried to put it back.

Wilderness areas are wonderful, make no mistake about that. Preservation is a good thing, but when it's done in big swaths all over the state to the exclusion of so much else, it can get to the point where it's not such a good thing. It's all about BALANCE. A balance needs to be found, and that does not mean trashing the environment.

Could you further elaborate on the tourism issue? I would think that that would actually create more jobs.

Tourism as a collective WHOLE brings money into the state. But most of those who work in the tourism industry do not make higher salaries. It may provide a lot of lower-paying jobs, but few that pay very well.

You would be correct about the military. I honestly don't know what can be done about this. Personally I'm against some of the jobs they create; mostly anything having to do with war. Yet the military and other government jobs seem to have the most availability for jobs right now, which is helping lots of folks have some way out of a financial disaster. I wish there was some alternative way to create more jobs that wasn't simultaneously creating demolition in the world. It seems there isn't any way though, or it hasn't been thought of (or put into action) yet, which explains the economy right now.

Yes. It's definitely a Catch-22 (pun intended). Over-reliance on same all over the state. Alamo would not have the population it does if it were not for Holloman.

As far as TPTB go, it's easier to just find a new tax (or raise existing) to generate more revenue than it is to work for change to make things better.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:19 AM

8 posts, read 17,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdude2018 View Post
Yes we still have plenty more to discover here. Some people would hate some of the things I do like driving to Las Cruces almost every other weekend, but I don't mind driving there. NM may grow old to me over time, but right now it fits me pretty well. I don't mind travelling and love the outdoors. Making my first trip to Elephant Butte this weekend. The only thing I don't like is the extreme heat, but I'm slowly getting used to it.
You definitely have it better than some in having to commute--one of my friends drives to and from El Paso everyday. He's working construction over there. He makes more money over there, so that's why he still continues to do it even though he doesn't enjoy having to drive so far everyday, not to mention in his gas guzzling truck. The drive to Las Cruces isn't too bad--the highway is usually pretty empty and the mountains are nice to look at.

Nice, Elephant Butte. I've been there a few times. It's a popular campsite around this area. I'm sure you'll have a good time.

Yes, it is very hot here. I'm just glad there's not a mixture of both heat and humidity. Having lived on the east coast and in SD, it's no surprise it's taking awhile for you to get acclimated to it. Personally, I only find it to be really bothersome during the summertime. I can tolerate spring quite well. And when winter rolls around, it's mild. I've noticed it usually snows every few years in Alamo.

Quote:
Wilderness areas are wonderful, make no mistake about that. Preservation is a good thing, but when it's done in big swaths all over the state to the exclusion of so much else, it can get to the point where it's not such a good thing. It's all about BALANCE. A balance needs to be found, and that does not mean trashing the environment.
True--just because they're preserving nature areas, doesn't mean they should neglect Babylon. It seems as though they're pinpointing certain important issues, but failing to even take notice of others. They go about certain actions illogically it seems.

Quote:
Tourism as a collective WHOLE brings money into the state. But most of those who work in the tourism industry do not make higher salaries. It may provide a lot of lower-paying jobs, but few that pay very well.
You speak the truth. However, if we weren't as reliant on tourism, those jobs wouldn't exist period. Are you perhaps trying to say that without NM relying heavily on tourism, they'd be focusing elsewhere, and that elsewhere may create more jobs as well, but with higher wages?

Quote:
Alamo would not have the population it does if it were not for Holloman.
It certainly wouldn't. I've heard a lot of folks say for some time now that Holloman makes this town. If Holloman weren't here, not only would the population be lower, but the town wouldn't have the kind of upkeep it has now. We'd surely have even more dead buildings and less businesses altogether.

Quote:
As far as TPTB go, it's easier to just find a new tax (or raise existing) to generate more revenue than it is to work for change to make things better.
It's sad how TPTB just want to take the easy way out, while being careless about the deeper hole that's being dug. NM is gonna be hurting even more in the end...but by that time, it'll be the next generation that has to deal with it more so, so I guess that's good enough for TPTB since they won't have to suffer as much or deal with the residents' outrage.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:51 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,806,914 times
Quote:
[/color][/color][color=black][color=DarkOrchid]It certainly wouldn't. I've heard a lot of folks say for some time now that Holloman makes this town. If Holloman weren't here, not only would the population be lower, but the town wouldn't have the kind of upkeep it has now. We'd surely have even more dead buildings and less businesses altogether.

If Holloman were to ever get BRACed, Alamogordo would look like Vaughn or Lordsburg inside of 5 years.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:39 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times
You speak the truth. However, if we weren't as reliant on tourism, those jobs wouldn't exist period. Are you perhaps trying to say that without NM relying heavily on tourism, they'd be focusing elsewhere, and that elsewhere may create more jobs as well, but with higher wages?

Yes. Exactly. When gas prices were really high, people traveled far less, and they do the same when the economy isn't so great. So, that's less revenue. If they focused as much on job creation as they appear to do on preserving wilderness areas, things might improve for some.

It's sad how TPTB just want to take the easy way out, while being careless about the deeper hole that's being dug. NM is gonna be hurting even more in the end...but by that time, it'll be the next generation that has to deal with it more so, so I guess that's good enough for TPTB since they won't have to suffer as much or deal with the residents' outrage.

I wonder.

Yes, it is very hot here. I'm just glad there's not a mixture of both heat and humidity.

Yes, the lack of humidity makes it more bearable, but.....

It was hotter here yesterday than Big Bend National Park, and that is saying a LOT. Weatherwise, I picked the wrong area by a very long shot. I'm headed for CO soon, and I cannot wait to get out of this heat.

You sweet young thangs can tolerate the heat better than this oldie can. I've had quite enough of it after a lifetime of it. I looked enviously at some TEXAS (Alpine/Ft Davis) temperatures yesterday while I was moving the tomatoes to shade to keep them from cooking.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:22 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
Cathy4017: We've already had a minimum temperature of 81 degrees here in Ft Worth, and of course it was a humid 81.

Why don't you just move up the road to Cloudcroft? It's a lot cooler there, as you know. IMO, High Rolls would be just about perfect climatically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico