Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 04:28 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,055,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Must be the out-of-state plates. I drove my parents in my dad's car (with Michigan plates) all over New Mexico without realizing he forgot to renew his registration for the last couple of years (he was getting old). Got a speeding ticket in Socorro, NM, but the cop never mentioned the expired plates. Crossed over into Arizona and got three tickets for expired plates between Springerville and Phoenix (one while the car was parked for lunch in Tempe). Very threatening officers.

But really, imagine the opportunities sprouting up to get around the new law. More counterfeit ID business. Peroxide sales on the rise. Classes on how to "pass" as a citizen. Marrying an illegal in Arizona is probably more lucrative now than it was just a few days ago.

those cops are something else, my brother got pulled over in Kingman,AZ for his windows being tinted too dark, the cops wanted him and his passengers to find someone to pick them up(from Eastern NM) cause the cop wouldnt let them drive the car any further, eventually he just gave them a ticket and let them leave.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:48 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,710,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post

It's not whether you're a white male or not that's the determinant. It's that all non-citizens are required to carry documentation on them that says they're here legally. Holds true for Italians, Germans, Brits, as well as Mexicans and Central Americans who are non-citizens.
So, there's a giant loophole then. Someone just has to say they're a citizen and don't have to prove anything.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:51 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,459,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
those cops are something else, my brother got pulled over in Kingman,AZ for his windows being tinted too dark, the cops wanted him and his passengers to find someone to pick them up(from Eastern NM) cause the cop wouldnt let them drive the car any further, eventually he just gave them a ticket and let them leave.

Arizona has a tint law, sounds like they violated it, so what's the complaint here? That the police followed the law?

Old 04-27-2010, 08:03 PM

801 posts, read 2,217,774 times
I believe New Mexico also has such a law, but you see plenty of dark-tinted windows around here. If I were a cop, I would definitely want to see enforcement of this law stepped up. It's difficult enough stopping a vehicle and approaching it without having the added difficulty of not being able to see into the vehicle.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:02 PM

508 posts, read 1,089,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I wonder about you sometimes too, dont be so paranoid about the new law, and check points dont bother me at all. If you want illegals around so bad, just hire them to do your housework and you can all dance to music while sipping margaritas together but Im sure AZ is sick of all their resources being used by non-citizens, Kudos to AZ.
Desertsun, If you go back and read my post you'll see that I'm not pro-illegal immigration - I'm anti racial discrimination. The law as it sits in Arizona is discriminatory and unconstitutional. Let's imagine a scenario where there is "reasonable suspicion someone is in the country illegally." What exactly would be the determining factors that would lead people to believe someone is here illegally and therefore demand papers? An accent? Skin color?

There is only one possible way for this law to avoid discrimination, which would be to require every citizen who is stopped for another infraction to produce papers proving their citizenship - which is unconstitutional. It's simple - the law is either discrimation, unconstitutional, or both.

Do you think the law would require me to produce papers? What's to say I'm not Canadian, or Bulgarian, or Russian, or....

Here's a pretty good clip via The Daily Show that sums it up pretty well (at the beginning of show):

Full Episode | April 26, 2010 - Lisa P. Jackson | The Daily Show

Old 04-27-2010, 09:52 PM

5,066 posts, read 7,486,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
Arizona has a tint law, sounds like they violated it, so what's the complaint here? That the police followed the law?
So you think being threatened with impounding your car as an out-of-state driver passing through is reasonable for this violation? Eesh! That's gratuitous harassment, IMO.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:28 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,875,740 times
My gosh this is crazy! Peole break the law in Az and complain when they have to ay a fine. You get upset for the contribution YOU make to the states cost of supporting the illegals by not following their laws but you can't understand why the residents of Az don't want to pay higher taxes to support them.

You say they pay taxes and we would lose that revenue if they were deported. If they are only taking the jobs that no one else will do they aren't paying taxes...They are getting a refund every year.

Who would mow the lawns??? Trim the trees??? Pay someone thats here legally or do it yourself. An overgrown lawn isn't nearly as threatening as open borders.

We DO have immigration laws in this country and people that want to come here can apply for citizenship like they do in any other country. Just because they are able to sneak across and not get caught by customs doesn't mean they are legal. Thats like saying if you rob a bank and don't get caught it didn't happen.

It's not a race issue, it's a security and financial issue. We were all inconvienienced after 9/11 and we will be inconvienienced again...but it's a neccesary step.

Congratulations Arizona for forcing the issue and standing up for your lawful CITIZENS! Bout time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico