Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:13 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,251,579 times

Advertisements

Get yer papers in order kiddies... time to prove that you're a citizen on a whim.

Guess I won't be using the obnoxious Borat voice in public anymore (at least not in AZ).

Old 04-27-2010, 10:30 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,245,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
They do indeed have their hands full. They are under funded, under geared, and under staffed. BP is doing its job. The Fed is not doing its job of supporting the BP.
I agree. I, and many people wished there was a clear cut answer to many questions concerning people who want to come to the USA. I think we all have to agree that the FEDS have been lax for many years in not coming up with some solutions to our problems, and I do not beleive it's a political party issue because both parties and independents haven't done anything for years.

I do know we have immigration laws on the books, and the legalality of how those laws are enfored sometimes comes under fire, darned if we do, and darned if we don't.

I still believe many US Citizens will be boycotting AZ's new law, New Mexico might find some fine people coming to our state from there, which is OK by me, we need the extra revenue, if not in property sales, in tourism. Maybe AZ's lawmakers shot themselves in the foot, IMO.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:37 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,957,972 times
Remember that ad by Absolut Vodka that caused so much controversy a couple years ago about an "Absolut World" and showing Mexico extending back into California, Texas, Arizona, Nevada, Utah and part of Colorado?

Very well, yes.

I guess it remains to be seen how all of this will play out over the next few months/years. As I stated earlier, NM does not have the jobs that AZ and TX (and also CA, even with their busted state government) do, so there is less incentive, even if our governor is pro illegal to begin with.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:40 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,886,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Remember that ad by Absolut Vodka that caused so much controversy a couple years ago about an "Absolut World" and showing Mexico extending back into California, Texas, Arizona, Nevada, Utah and part of Colorado?

Very well, yes.

I guess it remains to be seen how all of this will play out over the next few months/years. As I stated earlier, NM does not have the jobs that AZ and TX (and also CA, even with their busted state government) do, so there is less incentive, even if our governor is pro illegal to begin with.

Found it.
http://consumerist.com/images/resources/2008/04/In%20An%20Absolut%20World%20Which%20Is%20Apparentl y%20Back%20In%20the%201800s.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-27-2010, 10:50 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,957,972 times
Greedy little @#$!!, aren't they, LOL!?!

Last edited by Cathy4017; 04-27-2010 at 10:59 AM..

Old 04-27-2010, 11:30 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,365,319 times
[quote=karmathecat;13922881]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post

Not in Arizona. If you are suspected of being in the country illegally, law enforcement has the responsibility to check your documentation.

How will they determine who is suspect? By their skin color? The language they speak?

you may be right, but I read some of it last night and they say over and over that racial profiling is illegal in the bill the govern signed. I guess they could but then it isn't legal too in their own bill. Gosh you got to feel sorry for the citizens of Arizona. They have killings, kidnapping things the rest of us don't experience. I've never seen problems with the illegals here in OK.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:44 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,261,465 times
If they drive the illegals out of Arizona who is going to trim my palm trees? None of them speak English. The Phoenix area is going to be overgrown with untrimmed palm trees!! What's a person to do?

Old 04-27-2010, 11:50 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,466,825 times
[quote=debbie at bouontiful;13926448]
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post

you may be right, but I read some of it last night and they say over and over that racial profiling is illegal in the bill the govern signed. I guess they could but then it isn't legal too in their own bill. Gosh you got to feel sorry for the citizens of Arizona. They have killings, kidnapping things the rest of us don't experience. I've never seen problems with the illegals here in OK.
The full text of the bill is available on line, can you point to the part where it states that racial profiling is illegal? I could not find it...

I am pretty sure that somewhere in Oklahoma someone has been killed or kidnapped.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:52 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,466,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
If they drive the illegals out of Arizona who is going to trim my palm trees? None of them speak English. The Phoenix area is going to be overgrown with untrimmed palm trees!! What's a person to do?
White people are going to have to learn how to trim palm trees, pick onions, clean houses, roof houses in 100+ degree weather, mow lawns, clean motel rooms, and do cheap day labor.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:44 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,075,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
^Desertsun, I really wonder about you sometimes. Do you think that it's the law to ask you for your proof of citizenship once you're beyond the border crossing? Are you really comparing this issue to legalization of Marijuana??

No. - and the checkpoints have no real authority to check for proof, which is why you get a simple yes/no question.

The issue at hand is whether I now need to be carrying proof of citizenship with me at all times when in the state of Arizona - as a white male, lest I get in trouble with the law. If I don't have to carry proof (while others do), then the newly passed law is purely discriminatory and can pass no reasonable test of constitutionality. If I do have to carry proof of citizenship - and I've seen nothing in this law that suggests this is the case - then we've still lost some pretty fundamental rights.

I won't even begin to get into the history of the southwest, which can really make typical notions of "illegal immigration" ludicrous.

I wonder about you sometimes too, dont be so paranoid about the new law, and check points dont bother me at all. If you want illegals around so bad, just hire them to do your housework and you can all dance to music while sipping margaritas together but Im sure AZ is sick of all their resources being used by non-citizens, Kudos to AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico