Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 08:45 PM

9,376 posts, read 20,814,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
And I suspect it will be struck down by a Federal judge as soon thereafter as anyone is arrested under it, if not before that by an injunction.
I hope the other 49 states follow Arizona's lead. I think the issue transcends Mexico, and anyone in this country should be removed. If the law is challenged, and overturned, then the situation changes, but Arizona is merely trying to do what other nations do, which is to retain their sovereignty. We have every right to protect our borders. Detaining and arresting those here illegally is common sense. All 50 states should do it.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:05 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,099,246 times
I thought Immigration was the realm of the Federal Government. I'm hoping this law gets struck down.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:55 AM

863 posts, read 796,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
well if someone is in the country illegally,they are breaking the law, whats wrong with checking?

I have to show ID when Im entering into the U.S. from Juarez,one time they were curious about me and held me for about 10 minutes, and Im not being a baby about it, its the law. I love my rights just as much as the next person but being in the country illegally is illegal, therefor they must take action.
Completely agree Sun,

Why is it that nobody questions the fact that if you visit any other country in the world and can't show either proof of citizenship or legal entry into the country, you will be detained, arrested, fined and most likely deported very quickly.

If you don't think that is true, tell a British, Russian, German cop that you don't have your papers and see what happens.

Secondly, I would venture to say that most people who don't support this bill are law abiding. So why do they support an illegal activity?

Lastly, I will be willing to bet almost any amount of money that if they were the victim of a crime by an illegal, not only would they want the crime prosecuted but would also want them deported.

I just don't get it.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:08 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,919,646 times
I was born and spent the first 27 years of my life - total of 35 years - living in El Paso. My reasons for opposing illegal immigration have to do with the negative effects one experiences due to the overall lowering of standards across the board. Quality of life for everyone suffers when crime due to gangs, the drug trade, and simple vandalism run rampant. Many of my friends are hispanic USA citizens, and most of them deplore open border rules that allow illegals to remain indefinitely.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:03 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,884,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
I was born and spent the first 27 years of my life - total of 35 years - living in El Paso. My reasons for opposing illegal immigration have to do with the negative effects one experiences due to the overall lowering of standards across the board. Quality of life for everyone suffers when crime due to gangs, the drug trade, and simple vandalism run rampant. Many of my friends are hispanic USA citizens, and most of them deplore open border rules that allow illegals to remain indefinitely.

It is also grossly unfair to those who have played by the rules--and have done it the right way.

It is technically a federal responsibility, but as they have failed miserably, it IS up to the states to deal with illegals. We need to take back our public schools, emergency rooms, unpaid hospital bills, prisons, etc.

One piece of legislation needs to correct the granting of automatic citizenship for babies born to illegals. They have abused the 14th Amendment to the max for years, and that needs to be changed. Once anchor babies are a thing of the past, there will be far less incentive.

Bully for AZ--every other state should follow their lead!

Old 04-26-2010, 08:28 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,752,039 times
If every state tightened up their rules until they squeaked for documentation and
positive ID to obtain things like a driver's license, library cards, etc. it would help
a lot because it would make it harder to give the appearance of legitimacy.

I have to admit that I'm a serial Social Security Card abuser as I lost mine around
1968 or 1969 and never obtained a replacement. In over 40 years no one has
ever asked to see the actual card itself including times when I worked for the
feds in secure environments or when renewing passports.

I agree that the automatic citizenship rule needs to be changed; it was a good
thing for a very long time, but the world has changed.

I think the concept of an established path toward citizenship for illegals who are
already here is a good thing, but make it tough.

A modern country that is not willing to control its borders or who lives within
them is doomed. In 1870 it just didn't matter very much; now it does.

While the idea of some sort of national identity card creeps me out for lots of
reasons, I think it's almost inevitable that we're going to have to go that way.

I've lived abroad in situations where I had to go through a formal process to
establish my right to live in the country and to obtain a foreign residents' ID
and it didn't bother me so I guess to me like so many others, it is the symbolism
of such a card and the growing power of the US central government to monitor
its citizens that sticks in my craw.

But I'm sure it's going to happen.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
It is technically a federal responsibility, but as they have failed miserably, it IS up to the states to deal with illegals. We need to take back our public schools, emergency rooms, unpaid hospital bills, prisons, etc.
And it's quite possible that the state's are beginning to impose these new laws as a way to get the Fed's to actually step up to the plate and do something.

What's even more rediculous is that money from people legally here (tax payers) will be used to defend this in court from lawsuits filed by people legally here (tax payers) about people that shouldn't be here in the first place.

So if I have it correctly, bear with me, We are going to pay to defend a law that we payed for, by other people that we pay (federal legal system), because the people that we pay to write and enforce the law's of the land (Congress) aren't doing what we pay them for.

Makes perfect sense now

Old 04-26-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
If every state tightened up their rules until they squeaked for documentation and
positive ID to obtain things like a driver's license, library cards, etc. it would help
a lot because it would make it harder to give the appearance of legitimacy.

+1

On the entire post, not just what I quoted.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:42 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,925,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
I thought Immigration was the realm of the Federal Government. I'm hoping this law gets struck down.
The feds job is to defend this country's borders; they are failing at miserably. You wouldn't feel the way you do if these people were streaming through your backyard or causing havoc in your town/city...

Old 04-26-2010, 02:50 PM

61 posts, read 129,302 times
I used to live in Albuquerque's South Valley (hence the name), where apparently every illegal from Mexico stops off for a few months on their way to someplace else, and they were the biggest single problem we had down there. It's one thing to emigrate to the US - I'm in favor of that, provided they get in line like everyone else and wait their turn... and it would be nice if they were at least LEARNING English, too, and had some skills, but hey, I guess you can't have everything - but the illegal transients were the bane of our area. They trashed the places they lived, they stole cars (which they drove recklessly without insurance), broke into people's houses and stole anything not nailed down - they just didn't care, you know? It wasn't HOME to them here, and they didn't treat it like home, it was just a place to come and squeeze as much as they could out of it, and then eventually go back "home" to Mexico.

And a lot of them work at jobs off the books, and that's what burns my butt. They send their kids to school, where they get free education and lunches, they use all the public services including the county hospital, where they claim they can't pay their bills, and of course they take up the cops' time with all their shenanigans, all without ever contributing through taxes. Taxes are the price of admission to our society, our fair share of the cost of society, so that when our houses catch fire, the guys come and put it out, and if you don't pay, you're functionally stealing from someone who is.

And in case anyone is about to say they work at jobs that American people don't want, let me tell you about my next-door neighbor of nearly six years: He was illiterate in English AND Spanish - i.e., couldn't read or write any language - and only spoke Spanish, and he worked for all those years for an excavation company up the road that paid him $35 an hour to run the big earth moving machines. THIRTY FIVE DOLLARS AN HOUR?!?!? I'm making a little more than half of that after working here at UNM for nearly 13 years, I'd take that job in a nanosecond.

Back when I lived in the Northeast, I was all for open borders, but having lived here and seen the havoc that this wreaks on the local population and economy, I've changed my mind and taken a harder stance. And unless I'm quite mistaken, it is in fact a crime to enter this country illegally. Try doing it anywhere but here - as several posters have said already, you have to show your papers and visa or whatever to get into any other country on the planet - and see how serious they are about making sure you're someone they want in their country.

And not to be TOO paranoid or anything, but I'm fairly certain that the nasties who would like to blow up more of our big buildings know that the easiest way to get into this country undetected is to come over the Mexican border, so I think it behooves us to tighten things up and make sure they don't succeed in that.

SVG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico