Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 04:39 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,241,598 times

Advertisements

Answering the OP question, quite possible some AZ residents (legal) might migrate to New Mexico to revolt against their new law.
Don't know if illegal immigrants from Mexico have motor vehicles parked in the desert just waiting for them to drive away. I guess, from their new law, if you're not a pasty white person, maybe you can be profiled? I thought that this practice was illegal in my USA?

Old 04-26-2010, 04:43 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,241,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
The feds job is to defend this country's borders; they are failing at miserably. You wouldn't feel the way you do if these people were streaming through your backyard or causing havoc in your town/city...
Are you sure about that? Has anyone ever watched
Border Wars | Video | | National Geographic Channel (http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/border-wars/all/Videos/07639_00#tab-Videos/07639_00 - broken link)

Our CBP agents have their hands full. It is a very, very difficult job.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:43 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,758,199 times
Good Reuters article..

New Arizona law forcing hard choices on migrants | Reuters

Old 04-26-2010, 06:04 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,917,123 times
Funny how the illegals themselves call AZ racist for merely enforcing immigration laws.

Another article on the same site depicts how Mexican president Calderon slams AZ for the law, yet Mexico itself has some of the most stringent immigration laws ever. Mexico doesn't want illegals (Guatemalans, et al) coming through THEIR southern border, but thinks that the US should have an open border policy for any Mexicans that want to cross and work.

Major, major hypocrisy.....

Old 04-26-2010, 06:33 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,457,817 times
It isn't necessarily the illegals, it's people of color who now run the risk of being stopped and questioned simply because they APPEAR to be illegal. In Arizona, that means that someone who appears to be Mexican will now have a much greater risk of being stopped and questioned than someone who does not meet some law enforcement officials personal view of suspicious alien.
Do you routinely carry proof of citizenship with you? I don't and why should any other person have to simply because someone might question them based solely on their appearance.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:35 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,758,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Major, major hypocrisy.....
Yep. Like I said earlier, Mexico not only has absolutely no interest in preventing
illegal immigration into the US, it actually has a strong, vested interest in promoting
it sub-rosa.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:46 PM

363 posts, read 1,045,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Asking for a driver's license or I.D. so they can determine whether you should be driving a car isn't the same thing as challenging you to produce citizenship. It should be none of the cops' business what my citizenship status is. It smacks of authoritarianism. If one asked me I'd tell him where he could go and what he could do to himself when he gets there.
Try driving up from Terlingua to Alpine or Marfa. Or across I10 at Sierra Visita. You'll be stopped in both directions and asked "are you a US citizen" and you'll answer it correctly or be detained.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:17 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,457,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsman48 View Post
Try driving up from Terlingua to Alpine or Marfa. Or across I10 at Sierra Visita. You'll be stopped in both directions and asked "are you a US citizen" and you'll answer it correctly or be detained.
So, you have to prove it or just say "yes" ? And what if you are not a US Citizen but are in the country legally?

Old 04-26-2010, 07:43 PM

863 posts, read 799,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
So, you have to prove it or just say "yes" ? And what if you are not a US Citizen but are in the country legally?
Having been stopped at the one outside Sierra Vista, with my wife who is German, the BP Officer noticed her accent and asked to see her ID. She produced her resident alien card and off we went with a "have a nice day".

No harm, no foul in my book. Nobody searched us, our vehicle or anything else.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:43 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,917,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
Then you should have documents to prove same.

They stop everybody of any color at the border checkpoint near Sierra Blanca, TX, on I-10, US 70 near Las Cruces, and US 54 near Alamogordo. Just answer the question and drive on, no big deal.

If you have something to hide, or are doing something illegal, you can be pretty sure they'll ask you to pull over out of the line for further inspection and questioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico