Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 07:52 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,457,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Then you should have documents to prove same.

They stop everybody of any color at the border checkpoint near Sierra Blanca, TX, on I-10, US 70 near Las Cruces, and US 54 near Alamogordo. Just answer the question and drive on, no big deal.

If you have something to hide, or are doing something illegal, you can be pretty sure they'll ask you to pull over out of the line for further inspection and questioning.
So, if I ever drive that section of road, right here in the United States, I need to be carrying my passport?

Old 04-26-2010, 08:04 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,917,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
So, if I ever drive that section of road, right here in the United States, I need to be carrying my passport?
Why don't you go through that checkpoint (I-10, SB) as a non-US citizen, and let us know what happens..?

I'd think you'd need a passport, green card, visa, whatever is required! I don't know what non-citizens are required to carry these days.

I go through the Sierra Blanca checkpoint every time I go home to Texas, and I've never seen them not stop everybody, period.

"Are you a US citizen, m'am?"

"Yes, I am."

So I get passed on. They occasionally ask me where I'm headed, and I just tell them.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Why don't you go through that checkpoint (I-10, SB) as a non-US citizen, and let us know what happens..?

I'd think you'd need a passport, green card, visa, whatever is required! I don't know what non-citizens are required to carry these days.

I go through the Sierra Blanca checkpoint every time I go home to Texas, and I've never seen them not stop everybody, period.

"Are you a US citizen, m'am?"

"Yes, I am."

So I get passed on. They occasionally ask me where I'm headed, and I just tell them.
If they are requiring non-US citizens to prove their legality, they should require all to do it, especially those who claim to be US citizens. I wonder if they ever require proof of US citizenship from someone they think might be "suspicious" but who states that they are a US citizen.
Here in the US we do not have to routinely show any kind of national identity cards, we don't have them unless you count passports and only a small percentage of people have them. If someone stops you and they don't believe you are a US citizen and you have no proof, what is to stop them from detaining you?

Old 04-26-2010, 09:06 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,908,759 times
Quote:
No.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:08 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,861,226 times
Hey they think its North Mexico not New Mexico

Old 04-26-2010, 10:33 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,052,206 times
Quote:

I think you are turning this issue into something bigger than it is, its simply enforcing a law, every other country does it and its not a big deal.

its like arresting people for marijuana and people being outraged for it cause its simply a plant, but its an illegal plant.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:39 AM

508 posts, read 1,089,384 times
^Desertsun, I really wonder about you sometimes. Do you think that it's the law to ask you for your proof of citizenship once you're beyond the border crossing? Are you really comparing this issue to legalization of Marijuana??

No. - and the checkpoints have no real authority to check for proof, which is why you get a simple yes/no question.

The issue at hand is whether I now need to be carrying proof of citizenship with me at all times when in the state of Arizona - as a white male, lest I get in trouble with the law. If I don't have to carry proof (while others do), then the newly passed law is purely discriminatory and can pass no reasonable test of constitutionality. If I do have to carry proof of citizenship - and I've seen nothing in this law that suggests this is the case - then we've still lost some pretty fundamental rights.

I won't even begin to get into the history of the southwest, which can really make typical notions of "illegal immigration" ludicrous.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:56 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,355,075 times
[quote=Burquebinder;13921243]^Desertsun, I really wonder about you
The issue at hand is whether I now need to be carrying proof of citizenship with me at all times when in the state of Arizona - as a white male, lest I get in trouble with the law. If I don't have to carry proof (while others do), then the newly passed law is purely discriminatory and can pass no reasonable test of constitutionality. If I do have to carry proof of citizenship - and I've seen nothing in this law that suggests this is the case - then we've still lost some pretty fundamental rights.

I

I lived oversees for 7 years and had to prove I was there as an American citizen. Why are we just the horrible people, try to go to mexico and see how your treated (if you not at a resort of course)

Old 04-27-2010, 06:32 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,326,897 times
[quote=debbie at bouontiful;13921893]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
^Desertsun, I really wonder about you

I

I lived oversees for 7 years and had to prove I was there as an American citizen. Why are we just the horrible people, try to go to mexico and see how your treated (if you not at a resort of course)
It's not whether you're a white male or not that's the determinant. It's that all non-citizens are required to carry documentation on them that says they're here legally. Holds true for Italians, Germans, Brits, as well as Mexicans and Central Americans who are non-citizens.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:33 AM

[quote=CAVA1990;13922246]
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post

It's not whether you're a white male or not that's the determinant. It's that all non-citizens are required to carry documentation on them that says they're here legally. Holds true for Italians, Germans, Brits, as well as Mexicans and Central Americans who are non-citizens.
Not in Arizona. If you are suspected of being in the country illegally, law enforcement has the responsibility to check your documentation.

How will they determine who is suspect? By their skin color? The language they speak?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico