Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 12:57 PM

5,071 posts, read 7,494,653 times

Advertisements

I don't think New Mexico will have a population boom because, like the rest of the US, the Mexicans think we're part of Mexico, too. So what's the point? "We're movin' on up... we finally got a piece of the pie" is not the song people are singing when they come to New Mexico, no matter which direction they come from. Even the Mexicans got the memo about our poverty rate and bad schools so they go elsewhere.

Arizona was crazy with traffic cops already, I could hardly drive through there or park my car without getting a ticket as it was. Now I think I'll avoid it altogether.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:03 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,358,281 times
[quote=karmathecat;13926783]
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post

The full text of the bill is available on line, can you point to the part where it states that racial profiling is illegal? I could not find it...

I am pretty sure that somewhere in Oklahoma someone has been killed or kidnapped.

Okay I just read it again. From what I am reading it is on page 2 and is mentioned twice. Now I was wrong in the word illegal it says in two different paragrapsh racial profiling will NOT BE tolerated.

Your probably right about OK, things terrible probably have happened but I live in a rather rural cattle country area and you just don't see illegals. We cant make it in the cattle business with hiring people that do not know how to be cowboys

Old 04-27-2010, 01:09 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,118,031 times
Pull me over

Old 04-27-2010, 01:18 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,257,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Arizona was crazy with traffic cops already, I could hardly drive through there or park my car without getting a ticket as it was. Now I think I'll avoid it altogether.
I've lived in the Phoenix area for almost 32 years. I have had only 1 traffic ticket in all that time. I can go for weeks without ever seeing a traffic cop. They do have a lot of cameras to keep you from speeding, but they tell you where they are and they will not take your picture unless you are going 10+ miles per hour over the limit.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
I've lived in the Phoenix area for almost 32 years. I have had only 1 traffic ticket in all that time. I can go for weeks without ever seeing a traffic cop. They do have a lot of cameras to keep you from speeding, but they tell you where they are and they will not take your picture unless you are going 10+ miles per hour over the limit.
Must be the out-of-state plates. I drove my parents in my dad's car (with Michigan plates) all over New Mexico without realizing he forgot to renew his registration for the last couple of years (he was getting old). Got a speeding ticket in Socorro, NM, but the cop never mentioned the expired plates. Crossed over into Arizona and got three tickets for expired plates between Springerville and Phoenix (one while the car was parked for lunch in Tempe). Very threatening officers.

But really, imagine the opportunities sprouting up to get around the new law. More counterfeit ID business. Peroxide sales on the rise. Classes on how to "pass" as a citizen. Marrying an illegal in Arizona is probably more lucrative now than it was just a few days ago.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:24 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,929,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Wow, this thread has really disintigrated. You guys / girls are now blathering about border patrol checkpoints. The real issue is, ordinary police officers acting as federal agents, and racial profiling, and attempting to enforce FEDERAL LAW. CBP enforces immigration laws, and states, like AZ should be enforcing local laws, speeding, illegal turns, tail lights out, etc.. What AZ government has done has overidden FEDERAL LAW.
That is exactly the point!!

The feds have been abject, miserable failures in being unwilling to really police the border, enforce existing immigration laws and do what they are constitutionally mandated to do!

If states do not take matters into their own hands, we're going to be sucked totally dry, and the process is ongoing.

Texas has had to educate illegals at all levels, thanks to the old IDIOTIC ruling of Plyer vs Doe--WE CITIZEN taxpayers have to provide the children of illegal aliens a FREE public education, no matter where they were born, period.

All of the border states are spending millions of dollars for this, with the resulting rise in property taxes, strain on infrastructure, etc.

New Mexico is already poor enough without this added burden, and it does not help any of the other states, either.

So........this is a great start to get the debate going. Now all we have to do is go after employers who hire them with severe sanctions. End automatic citizenship to children born to illegal aliens. Refuse to educate non-citizens unless they pay tuition/fees. Also refuse in-state tuition to children of illegals.

The list goes on. Since the feds will not do anything about this whole mess, it is up to the states to try to fix it. We are total suckers for having allowed it to come to this sorry point.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:04 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,476,421 times
If New Mexico had the jobs to absorb a large population of illegals, they would be here already.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:06 PM

9,391 posts, read 20,891,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
That is exactly the point!!

The feds have been abject, miserable failures in being unwilling to really police the border, enforce existing immigration laws and do what they are constitutionally mandated to do!

If states do not take matters into their own hands, we're going to be sucked totally dry, and the process is ongoing.

Texas has had to educate illegals at all levels, thanks to the old IDIOTIC ruling of Plyer vs Doe--WE CITIZEN taxpayers have to provide the children of illegal aliens a FREE public education, no matter where they were born, period.

All of the border states are spending millions of dollars for this, with the resulting rise in property taxes, strain on infrastructure, etc.

New Mexico is already poor enough without this added burden, and it does not help any of the other states, either.

So........this is a great start to get the debate going. Now all we have to do is go after employers who hire them with severe sanctions. End automatic citizenship to children born to illegal aliens. Refuse to educate non-citizens unless they pay tuition/fees. Also refuse in-state tuition to children of illegals.

The list goes on. Since the feds will not do anything about this whole mess, it is up to the states to try to fix it. We are total suckers for having allowed it to come to this sorry point.
The federal government has been utterly inept when it comes to addressing this issue. I don't care if the administration is Democrat or Republican. I've always believed that on a federal level, it is very easy for a senator to be insulated from the realities of the situation at hand, even if the sitting senators are from Arizona, New Mexico, or Texas, because their native environment is not in those states, it is in the confines of the Georgetown area of Washington D.C. or in Arlington Virginia. Translated: they are very cozy there, and removed from the daily banalities that transpire down here. In fact, I would also further the argument is true with regard to citizens that reside in other areas of the country. My family is from New Jersey, and they can't relate to these problems. So, really, if you are a resident of Arizona, this issue becomes much more local and personalized. That's why the Governor, the leader of the state and state level government, took a stand and took this on herself. Jan Brewer might go down in history for starting a movement and a debate that those on the federal level were too weak-kneed to undertake, and not in a position to enforce.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
WE CITIZEN taxpayers have to provide the children of illegal aliens a FREE public education, no matter where they were born, period.

From Wikipedia: "The IRS estimates that about 6 million unauthorized immigrants file individual income tax returns each year. Research reviewed by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office indicates that between 50 percent and 75 percent of unauthorized immigrants pay federal, state, and local taxes. Undocumented workers are estimated to pay in about $7 billion per year into Social Security."

Don't forget to wave and say "Gracias" while you kick them back south of the border. With New Mexico's population of only 2 million, the US would probably get a better deal if it traded New Mexico for all the illegals.

Last edited by aries63; 04-27-2010 at 04:28 PM..

Old 04-27-2010, 04:23 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,059,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If New Mexico had the jobs to absorb a large population of illegals, they would be here already.

but I thought New Mexico was avoiding the recession better than most states,creating jobs and is progressing, why wouldnt they be coming over? From the posts on city data NM is the place to be, Im sure the illegals want scenic vistas too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico