Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 08:59 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,926,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post

It wouldn't occur to me to try speaking to a New Mexican in Spanish. I assume they're all English speakers or are bilingual.
The closer to the Mexican border you get in NM, the more apt you are to find "Hispanics" who speak little or no English. I taught ESL as a volunteer for a couple of years, and while several of my students had an understanding of basic English, others knew only a few words. Not unlike how I would speak if I were traveling in Mexico. I am NOT fluent in Spanish in spite of taking it as my language requirement for two semesters in college, and spending the first 27 years of my life growing up in El Paso.

In the Ruidoso area, where I live, I always speak English to those who are obviously Hispanic, and switch to Spanish only if I realize they don't speak English or understand what I'm saying. Even my next door neighbor, who I've known now for 13 years, has a hard time understanding what I'm saying in English. His wife is much more fluent than he is, but neither of them speak English in their home or to their Hispanic friends.

An aside: When approaching someone on foot from behind on the local hike'n'bike trail, I always say loudly: "Bicycle!" to let them know I wish to pass them. In some instances, if there is no reaction, I'll say: "Bicicleta!" instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 09:18 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,326,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
An aside: When approaching someone on foot from behind on the local hike'n'bike trail, I always say loudly: "Bicycle!" to let them know I wish to pass them. In some instances, if there is no reaction, I'll say: "Bicicleta!" instead.
Be wary of doing that in Italy since there it's slang for a woman of easy virtue.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Be wary of doing that in Italy since there it's slang for a woman of easy virtue.
In Italy, if it's a woman I'd be approaching from behind, I could probably get away with just pinching her on her "behind!"

Old 05-02-2010, 09:28 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,241,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastcountryboy View Post
I'm contemplating a move to New Mexico.....just where is the question.

First off, I have lived in Colorado for several years and due to a "family emergency" needed to return to the Northwest. I would love to get back to the Southwest ASAP. During my years in CO, I drove to and through NM several times. I've found it a lovely state. The sun, the scenery, the culture and so forth but of course, visiting an area and living in an area are two different things so..........

-I am a single male in my early 40's
-I prefer slow but steady growth
-I work in a low pay, high turnover field of social services. I don't mind the low pay as long as I live in an area with a low cost of living
-I am an english only speaker. Mentioned because I know about the high hispanic population in New Mexico and working directly with people, knowing conversational spanish would be a good thing. IMPORTANT: I do NOT mind going back to school in order to learn spanish but, I want to get a job that pays the bills first and then go to school to take classes in order to advance my career.
-I prefer small town over major metropolitan area but as a single guy in my 40's I don't want too small of a town
-A distinctive spring, summer and fall are important. I could live with or without a cold, hard winter
-I prefer jeans and t-shirts over suit and tie
-I prefer coffee and beer over latte's and cocktails
Hmmm...what else?

Actually, I've been checking out the Clovis/Portales area but thought I'd ask here for possible leads to other places I haven't thought about.
Truth or Consequences, or Elephant Butte. Dollar stores are always seeking workers. Temporary help is need for the city of T or C - public park maintenance, etc..
There's nothing like a good cup of coffee and a smoke, (from the johnny guitar movie).

Home

Old 05-02-2010, 10:56 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,861,226 times
Long time res. of ABQ...prevent a mistake and move to the mountains of AZ if you prefer that type of climate... very similar They call it the "Land of Entrapment"

Old 05-02-2010, 01:10 PM

134 posts, read 892,237 times
"There are 2 bars in Portales so you can probably find you a gal there."

Only 2? Isn't Portales a college town? Yes, I know it's small and now since you've told me, conservative, but I would think college towns would have a few more bars around

Old 05-02-2010, 06:01 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,052,206 times
Quote:

Only 2? Isn't Portales a college town? Yes, I know it's small and now since you've told me, conservative, but I would think college towns would have a few more bars around

for many years Portales only had 1 bar, I was suprised a few years ago when they finally allowed the 2nd bar to open, its more like a sports bar, and I think you can only get a beer in maybe two restaurants in town.
On Sundays you cant buy beer at all. For being a college town Portales sure dosent have a whole lot, Portales is focused on keeping that small town charm and lifestyle.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:13 PM

36 posts, read 64,857 times
Quote:

When I went to ENMU in the late 70's, Portales was in a dry county & there weren't any bars at all! We had to drive to Clovis. So, I think 2 bars there is a lot!!!

Old 05-03-2010, 12:02 AM

134 posts, read 892,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuliegal View Post
When I went to ENMU in the late 70's, Portales was in a dry county & there weren't any bars at all! We had to drive to Clovis. So, I think 2 bars there is a lot!!!
How many bars in Clovis?

Old 05-03-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
... but I would think college towns would have a few more bars around
Many (if not most) college age patrons would be under 21 years of age - the legal age for buying alcohol in NM. There are now laws that make anyone selling alcohol liable for damages/accidents caused by drunks who patronized their establishment, so some restaurants (as an example) have chosen to give up their liquor licenses.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico