Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 06:28 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times

Advertisements

Oh and East Austin is like Bywater. SoCo could also be compared to Marigny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 07:17 AM

62 posts, read 130,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The suburbs around Austin (Lakeway, Cedar Park, Round Rock, Georgetown, Pflugerville, Buda, etc...) are all pretty nice.
Nice is subjective, I suppose. It's very Stepford in these areas. Good schools in all but Buda. Little to do in the evening without a drive to Austin. Vicious commute traffic. Generally lower crime.

If that's what you like, then it's absolutely nice.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Bee View Post
Nice is subjective, I suppose. It's very Stepford in these areas. Good schools in all but Buda. Little to do in the evening without a drive to Austin. Vicious commute traffic. Generally lower crime.

If that's what you like, then it's absolutely nice.
Certainly you can't say Kenner, with high crime, many mosquito infested canals, trash strewn highways, and a noisy airport is better than Round Rock.

Now I don't really like Round Rock either, but at least it has good schools, low crime, it's clean, and well maintained. For some that's enough.

When it comes to the central city, New Orleans can hold its own with any city in the US, with its history, architecture, and cuisine, but I can't for the life of me understand why someone would want to live in the suburbs of New Orleans. Doesn't make sense. There are some exceptions, like Old Metairie.

Different strokes for different folks.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:15 AM

65 posts, read 153,759 times
Quote:
Certainly you can't say Kenner, with high crime, many mosquito infested canals, trash strewn highways, and a noisy airport is better than Round Rock.

Now I don't really like Round Rock either, but at least it has good schools, low crime, it's clean, and well maintained. For some that's enough.

When it comes to the central city, New Orleans can hold its own with any city in the US, with its history, architecture, and cuisine, but I can't for the life of me understand why someone would want to live in the suburbs of New Orleans. Doesn't make sense. There are some exceptions, like Old Metairie.

+1

I agree 100%. Most families want lower crime and better schools, so I don't quite understand how that is "subjective."

New Orleans has a great central city area that is one of a kind, but outside of that, it is really lacking, IMO. The only suburbs that can compete with suburbs in cities such as Austin are on the North Shore. That's just my opinion, though.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Not saying that at all. I can't even say I know a bit about Kenner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doowapp View Post
+1

I agree 100%. Most families want lower crime and better schools, so I don't quite understand how that is "subjective."
It's subjective because everyone wants something different and not everyone DOES want better schools. Depends on whether they're going private, or not having children, or anything else.

The OP is single, and therefore it was relevant to the conversation at hand, and a warning that the 'burbs might not be in her best interest.

Ultimately up to her, but was worth clarifying, IMO.

No big deal either way.

As cBach says, different strokes.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:07 PM

4 posts, read 14,669 times
Default Thanks for all the posts

Quote:

I agree with this statement. I am craving a real change in my life and I don't think that moving to the suburbs is what I need. I definitely want to move to one of the urban locations bc that is where I "fell in love" with New Orleans. I'm interested to know which of these cities cBach and Eric Bee would live if they could live anywhere they wanted. Y'all are both knowledgeable about both areas and your comments have been majorly helpful, but I would find that info interesting as well.

As far as school systems go, I am single with no kids, but I am also a teacher. So I am interested in schools. But, I know a great deal about NOLA schools and actually work closely with several of the TAP schools in Algiers CSD and a few schools in Jefferson. I would like to be part of the Algiers CSD, bc they are really doing progressive things to help make education in NOLA better. That is also a strike against Austin though: the fact that there are no TAP schools in Austin.

I have also recently learned that a friend of mine is moving back to New Orleans and my sister has expressed an interest in that area as well, so I am leaning really heavily towards New Orleans now and so my decision now is where in NOLA to live.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey71325 View Post
I agree with this statement. I am craving a real change in my life and I don't think that moving to the suburbs is what I need. I definitely want to move to one of the urban locations bc that is where I "fell in love" with New Orleans. I'm interested to know which of these cities cBach and Eric Bee would live if they could live anywhere they wanted. Y'all are both knowledgeable about both areas and your comments have been majorly helpful, but I would find that info interesting as well.

As far as school systems go, I am single with no kids, but I am also a teacher. So I am interested in schools. But, I know a great deal about NOLA schools and actually work closely with several of the TAP schools in Algiers CSD and a few schools in Jefferson. I would like to be part of the Algiers CSD, bc they are really doing progressive things to help make education in NOLA better. That is also a strike against Austin though: the fact that there are no TAP schools in Austin.

I have also recently learned that a friend of mine is moving back to New Orleans and my sister has expressed an interest in that area as well, so I am leaning really heavily towards New Orleans now and so my decision now is where in NOLA to live.
As a testament to my ignorance, I don't even know what a TAP school IS. lol.

AISD is kind of a mess right now. They've 'lost' two high schools to underperformance recently, and (as can be expected in most cities), the parity of education amongst schools is staggering within the district.

If you're looking to work in a district that is progressive, educationally speaking (not politically), then, IMO, Cedar Park is very good, Round Rock is good, and Eanes is good. As far as public reputation is concerned, the perception might be the opposite on which is better (Eanes, then RR, then CP, but not always). But as earlier discussed, if you move to any of those districts to live, you will be devoid of easy access to city culture, most fine restaurants, better produce and grocery stores, and live music. There are always a few token venues, but you will have to travel regularly to get to the bulk of 'fun' in Austin. Of those, Eanes is the closest to downtown action, and also by far the highest home/living prices. Although you could easily commute to Eanes from near South Austin or the Downtown area.

By live anywhere, do you mean between NO and ATX, or neighborhoods within them? If the former, then my answer is 'I don't know'. We're very weary with Austin right now. It has begun to feel like L.A. Light many days. A lot of 'personality' and culture have been diluted by trust fund kids and ex-Californians that are here because it's the cool place to be. The upside to that is that the economy seems to be okay by other city standards (my very non-necessary entertainment business is still up and running fine). The downside is it's become meaner, more crowded, more bland, and more expensive.

If you want neighborhood suggestions on where *I* would live, I can give them, but my demo is different than yours (kids, family, work away from the city), but I was once your age and status and can always shoot in the dark.

Last edited by Eric Bee; 01-08-2011 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: horrendous spelling

Old 01-08-2011, 08:22 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Bee View Post
As a testament to my ignorance, I don't even know what a TAP school IS. lol.

AISD is kind of a mess right now. They've 'lost' two high schools to underperformance recently, and (as can be expected in most cities), the parity of education amongst schools is staggering within the district.

If you're looking to work in a district that is progressive, educationally speaking (not politically), then, IMO, Cedar Park is very good, Round Rock is good, and Eanes is good. As far as public reputation is concerned, the perception might be the opposite on which is better (Eanes, then RR, then CP, but not always). But as earlier discussed, if you move to any of those districts to live, you will be devoid of easy access to city culture, most fine restaurants, better produce and grocery stores, and live music. There are always a few token venues, but you will have to travel regularly to get to the bulk of 'fun' in Austin. Of those, Eanes is the closest to downtown action, and also by far the highest home/living prices. Although you could easily commute to Eanes from near South Austin or the Downtown area.

By live anywhere, do you mean between NO and ATX, or neighborhoods within them? If the former, then my answer is 'I don't know'. We're very weary with Austin right now. It has begun to feel like L.A. Light many days. A lot of 'personality' and culture have been diluted by trust fund kids and ex-Californians that are here because it's the cool place to be. The upside to that is that the economy seems to be okay by other city standards (my very non-necessary entertainment business is still up and running fine). The downside is it's become meaner, more crowded, more bland, and more expensive.

If you want neighborhood suggestions on where *I* would live, I can give them, but my demo is different than yours (kids, family, work away from the city), but I was once your age and status and can always shoot in the dark.
Austin does not have the feel of LA, but it does have a lot of Californians moving there, alonmg with little LA(San Antonio)

Old 01-08-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey71325 View Post
I agree with this statement...
I'm interested to know which of these cities cBach and Eric Bee would live if they could live anywhere they wanted. Y'all are both knowledgeable about both areas and your comments have been majorly helpful, but I would find that info interesting as well.

Glad my comments were helpful.

I live in Austin and can live in any city in the continental US that I want to because I telecommute. But my demographic is different than yours. Even if I was the same demographic as yours, I think I would choose downtown Austin. There's a spirit here that can't be found anywhere.

That being said, I've always dreamed of having a loft in the Warehouse District of New Orleans. That would be awesome if I didn't have any kids that needed to be educated!

Hope this helps.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:39 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Quote:
Glad my comments were helpful.

I live in Austin and can live in any city in the continental US that I want to because I telecommute. But my demographic is different than yours. Even if I was the same demographic as yours, I think I would choose downtown Austin. There's a spirit here that can't be found anywhere.

That being said, I've always dreamed of having a loft in the Warehouse District of New Orleans. That would be awesome if I didn't have any kids that needed to be educated!

Hope this helps.
My dream is to find a job that I can telecommute. If you do not mind, what do you do? Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans