Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 10:43 AM

22 posts, read 92,132 times

Advertisements

I just got into town a few days ago and was wondering where the best DMV is in the area. I'd prefer to not wait 4 hours to get a new driver's license. If I have to drive 45 minutes, that's okay. Suggestions?

Also, what other fees will be a driving here be? How much does it cost to register a vehicle? In my previous town we had no brake or emissions tests. What is it like here?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 10:53 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juana_the_piranha View Post
I just got into town a few days ago and was wondering where the best DMV is in the area. I'd prefer to not wait 4 hours to get a new driver's license. If I have to drive 45 minutes, that's okay. Suggestions?

Also, what other fees will be a driving here be? How much does it cost to register a vehicle? In my previous town we had no brake or emissions tests. What is it like here?

Thanks in advance.
If you don't want to travel across the lake try the one in Harvey. It's located at Westbank Expwy and Scottsdale. I would avoid the one on Airline Hwy like the plague.

You are looking at paying:
-$24-$25 for a regular license.
-Anywhere from 4%-9% of the total retail value of your car depending on what state you are coming from and what area you live in for Vehicle Registration, plus $20+ for the License Plate, plus $18 for something, and a few other small fees.
-Brake Tags (Inspections) are roughly $20. If you live in the city limits of New Orleans, Kenner, or Westwego you have to get the car inspected inside the city limits. Anywhere else and you can get the inspection anywhere in the state except NO, Kenner, and Westwego.

Make sure you have Proof of Residence, SS Card, Birth Certificate, Current Driver's License, Proof of Insurance, etc. with you when you go to the DMV. 8 times out of 10 they won't even ask for alot of that (from my experience), but if they do and you don't have it you will be turned around.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 07-16-2009 at 11:05 AM..

Old 07-16-2009, 01:12 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,479 times
I go to the one on Airline Dr.

Get there early, took me about 2 hours but I went in the middle of the day.

And for tag, I just went to a tag/title place on Jefferson Hwy near Oschner.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:51 PM

22 posts, read 92,132 times
Oh my gosh, I better start saving my money now if I ever want to register my car.

Thanks, y'all.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:57 AM

44 posts, read 198,056 times
Westwego is not bad (but I have waited an hour in there)... but for NO LINE, NO WAIT EVER go to Gramercy and/or Reserve DMV across the spill way in St. James or St. John parish respectively

Old 01-22-2011, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 10,731 times
I live in Kenner and I am trying to get my car inspected(I have already had it registered by the dealer in Metairie...Someone told my I have to go to Kenner City Hall on Williams to have my car inspected...Is this true?

Old 01-22-2011, 04:25 PM

310 posts, read 854,486 times
Inspected? Maybe they mean get a brake tag. They "inspect" your car before putting the tag on your windshield. You show them your lights, flashers, horn, brake lights and reverse lights work and that's it. The major brake tag station is just off of Williams (1904 24th St.). There's no signage, but if you're driving toward the river on Williams, once you cross Vets, turn right just after the KFC/Long John Silvers. It's back there. I believe the cost is $10 but I always forget to go and pay a late fee...

Old 01-22-2011, 05:15 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,352,662 times
MAKE SURE you have proof of insurance . They WILL ask for it .

Old 01-22-2011, 09:08 PM

194 posts, read 544,979 times
We had the best DMV experience ever at the one on Airline Drive. They really have their act together, or at least they did when we went. My husband and I both got our licenses and got the car transferred from Georgia to Louisiana. It took 50 minutes TOTAL, and all of it was less than $200.

Although my car is a newer model, it wasn't that expensive to transfer it because they counted part of the taxes I had already paid in Georgia. Apparently they have some sort of reciprocity deal with some other states.

Also, coming from an ad valorem state, I'm pretty stoked that I only have to buy the brake tag next year, and the tag renewal the year after that (for only $20)! I was paying more than that every year back in GA for my previous car that was over twelve years old.

Don't go on a Monday or Friday (too busy) and call ahead and they'll tell you how much it will cost for your specific car. The people were super nice on the phone and in person. I promise I am not lying. We were blown away!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:40 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,031,800 times
I've had pretty good experiences on the Westbank. Betcha Chalmette could get you in and out the fastest though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans