Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 01:55 PM

79 posts, read 121,166 times

Advertisements

Where are the fathers of these young hooligans? Families with spiritual principles are the answer but are hard to come by. Pardon me for stirring a pot but i think few are willing to look at the underlying causes and reasons for voilence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 02:26 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Pig View Post
Where are the fathers of these young hooligans? Families with spiritual principles are the answer but are hard to come by. Pardon me for stirring a pot but i think few are willing to look at the underlying causes and reasons for voilence.
Spirituality has nothing to do with it. The underlying problems are poverty and education.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:40 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,502 times
Quote:
I can respect the overall gist of your remark, but are you really inferring that religion/spirituality is an answer to senseless violence? I can agree with the "fathers" and "family" part...

Old 08-29-2013, 08:35 PM

105 posts, read 234,710 times
Well said Road Pig. Kids who have strong faith are not out doing committing the crimes. People who deny that truth don't understand it themselves.

And like clockwork, two more dead in New Orleans including a baby. Tragic.
WWL - AM870 | FM105.3 | News | Talk | Sports - Report: Baby Dead, Mother Shot In Central City

Quote:

Old 08-30-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTucker View Post
Well said Road Pig. Kids who have strong faith are not out doing committing the crimes. People who deny that truth don't understand it themselves.
Religion is responsible for most of the worlds wars and don't forget: Waco siege - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Jim Jones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-30-2013, 09:51 AM

105 posts, read 234,710 times
I'm not talking about religion. I'm talking about reading, studying and applying the Good Book to each of our own lives. Tim Tebow, Kirk Cameron are good role models. That's not to say that lost people are not possible of being positive contributors to society. What I am saying is that kids who understand truth as taught in the Good Book are not going to be caught up in the wrong crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Religion is responsible for most of the worlds wars and don't forget: Waco siege - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Jim Jones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-30-2013, 12:04 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Enough religion. Other faiths also produce good people.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTucker View Post
I'm not talking about religion. I'm talking about reading, studying and applying the Good Book to each of our own lives. Tim Tebow, Kirk Cameron are good role models. That's not to say that lost people are not possible of being positive contributors to society. What I am saying is that kids who understand truth as taught in the Good Book are not going to be caught up in the wrong crowd.
No.

The key is to improve education and add jobs.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:35 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
A relatively small slice of the population is committing most of the murders. But the "clearance" rate for murder in New Orleans is extremely low, meaning that most murderers get away with it. Simply improving the clearance rate and creating a clearer link between murder/attempted murder and permanent incarceration would reduce the murder rate over time. Cracking down with everything available (including federal gun laws and federal prosecutions) is a reasonable stopgap measure in the short-term.

The immediate goal should be to recognize that the city has - in effect - a bunch of serial murderers running around. People who have committed multiple murders or murder attempts and remain free to commit more. As long as we have a growing surveillance/spying state, it might as well be used to help convict these people in federal court. The federal system also allows inmates to be shuffled off to distant prisons in places like California, which makes it tougher for New Orleans-based criminals to keep running their enterprises from their cells.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:54 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
No.

The key is to improve education and add jobs.
Don't bother. You can't argue logic and reason to most religious folk who think moral barometers are set by the same book used to condone rape, murder, war, slavery, etc.

Its pretty clear to me that the solution to high crime in any city is increased education and jobs to reduce poverty levels. Those in impoverished areas are either violent for financial gain or because its all they know. Simply put; When people are learning and earning, there is less reason to commit crime. It all goes back to reason, not that other r-word...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans