Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 04:24 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,845,262 times

Advertisements

After years of declining,New Orleans is finally regaining population back

2010-343,829
2012-369,250

New Orleans (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 10:03 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,502 times
DON'T CALL IT A COMEBACK! Sorry...I couldn't resist

Old 07-20-2013, 10:48 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
New Orleans is becoming America's new great success story

Old 07-20-2013, 02:27 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
I agree.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:53 PM

643 posts, read 978,110 times
I don't see the increased population stopping anytime soon. The time is now for new orleans to capitalize on the influx of people to the city and area...businesses will see that people will actually want to be here and will want to relocate their headquarters here....we can only go up from here....the sky really is the limit now

Old 08-26-2013, 06:49 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Much as I love the city of my birth - and where I spent the majority of my life - I don't see any HQ relocating there. Katrina taught them the dangers.

My son worked for Capital One; they left a skeleton crew plus security and guard dogs in their downtown building that held the servers and backup generators. When the generators flooded, and looters broke in through the security glass, they had to use helicopters to get the people and dogs off the roof. The generators were ruined and they lost all the desktops on the first couple of floors. So no, HQs are out for most companies. They all learn about such events.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-26-2013 at 11:02 AM..

Old 08-26-2013, 09:15 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Much as I love the city of my birth - and where I spent the majority of my life - I don't see any HQ relocating there. Katrina taught them the dangers.
I disagree. New York, Miami and San Fransisco are all equally vulnerable to significant natural disasters. Still, they are home to quite a few Fortune 500s. There is no reason we can't have the same here.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:20 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
I lived there in 1984 and after DECADES of wanting to experience the ambiance and culture that is "New Orleans", I was extraordinarily disappointed. I returned once in the 1990s and then again a few times before the big blow and honestly, as towns go, it totally sucked. Sorry. I was heartbroken.

After Katrina, it looks like a lot of "undesirables" left and I hope they stay away. The only thing that would make New Orleans a great city would be to have more decent, intelligent people move in than minority trash, if that should happen (and you can't tell from the statistics, unfortunately), then you might be right. I hope you are.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-26-2013, 10:11 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post

My son worked for Capital One; they left a skeleton crew plus security and guard dogs in their downtown building that held the servers and backup generators. When the generators flooded, and looters broke in through the security glass, they had to use helicopters to get the people and dogs off the roof. The generators were ruined and they lost all the desktops on the first couple if floors. So no, HQs are out for most companies. They all learn about such events.
Can't say I agree there. Many cities are prone to disasters, it's not like New Orleans floods like that every season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I lived there in 1984 and after DECADES of wanting to experience the ambiance and culture that is "New Orleans", I was extraordinarily disappointed. I returned once in the 1990s and then again a few times before the big blow and honestly, as towns go, it totally sucked. Sorry. I was heartbroken.

After Katrina, it looks like a lot of "undesirables" left and I hope they stay away. The only thing that would make New Orleans a great city would be to have more decent, intelligent people move in than minority trash, if that should happen (and you can't tell from the statistics, unfortunately), then you might be right. I hope you are.

20yrsinBranson
You lived there during the crack epidemic and when New Orleans was the murder capital. I don't blame you but it's not that way anymore.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-26-2013 at 11:03 AM..

Old 08-26-2013, 03:16 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
Then my fervent question would be : WHAT THE HECK DID YOU DO WHILE HERE??...because you missed out on alot to be honest. Unless you are one of those few individuals who really dont recognize value in its most honest form.

For example, apart of NY's charm and greatness is within its dirtiness, rudeness, and of course how overcrowded it is...the same principals apply to NO. That to me is what makes NOLA different from most cities in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans