Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 02:33 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times

Advertisements

I'm not concerned with safety, I understand New Orleans has some serious crime issues, but it's not like I'll be wandering around the outskirts by myself at 4 in the morning. All of the areas I intend on spending time in at night seem to be pretty vibrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 02:38 AM

What are the "must try" dishes of New Orleans cuisine?

Old 02-08-2018, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
If this is your first time here, spend one night in and around Bourbon St. just to experience it, spend another night on Frenchmen checking out some music and the rest of your time elsewhere. If you want to escape the tourist hordes, you need to get out to Mid-City, Uptown, Bywater, etc.

There are so many different bars and restaurants depending on what you're in the mood for. Check out any of the local breweries if you're into beer. Uber is your friend. I'd recommend checking out the Freret Corridor at some point and catch a show at Gasa Gasa while you're there.

For restaurants, it's not just strictly Creole. You can find a mix of quality Cajun, French, Vietnamese and Soul food throughout the city. For a nicer dinner outside of the Quarter, I'd recommend Dante's Kitchen, Brigtsen's, Atchafalaya or Dick and Jenny's. Commander's Palace is another option, but on the even fancier side.

See: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-o...l#post50199945

Your chances of being a victim of homicide are extremely slim, but robberies can happen in many neighborhoods(even the nice ones), so use some common sense. Walking down a deserted Magazine St. at 1am while staring down at your phone is probably not a good idea. The more people around, the better. If you feel unsafe, don't hesitate to call a cab/Uber. Take a look at the crime statistics objectively and decide for yourself: https://www.crimemapping.com/map/la/neworleans
Thanks! I don't even know where to begin with food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Slim chances don't matter when it happens to you...
Why even leave your house then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I've been to New Orleans a few times. You're fine if you stay on Bourbon St. at night. It's lit, and it's crowded, and you're not likely to get mugged. Maybe you'll be pick pocketed...but not mugged. I wouldn't recommend going off the beaten path too much though, at night.

During the day, exploring more should be fine.

2 places I've wanted to visit, but just haven't had the chance yet...

Rock n Bowl
3000 South Carrollton Ave
www.RocknBowl.com

I'm a huge fan of zydeco and Cajun music, so Rock n Bowl has always been on my 'wish list' of places to visit.

I'm also a big fan of New Orleans Brass bands, and one of my favorites is Rebirth Brass Band. They pretty regularly play at the Maple Leaf Bar. https://www.mapleleafbar.com/

Someday, I will go to these places. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Like others have said, stay in the crowded sections of the Quarter and you should be OK. I've also been less than 100 feet from a random shooting on Bourbon but at least I was in a club at the time. I don't wander Bourbon, I use it to move from club to club to hear different band. If I want to people watch, I go to a club's balcony.

The Balcony Music Club is technically in the Quarter but you can see Frenchman's Street from the window. It has a wide range of acts that perform there. I caught the entire show of Steve Mignano's band a few weeks ago.
https://youtu.be/gzLYIBwjvqo

Grammy nominated Dwaye Dopsie and the Zydeco Hellraisers will play at BMC and Rare Form (Frenchman's) when they aren't touring. They put on an incredible show.
https://youtu.be/w_AdxPFdCfw
https://youtu.be/THLVKCAILBU

On Bourbon there are many places to listen to great music but if you want some local flavor then stop by Krazy Korner during the afternoon for The Daywalkers. They do a bunch of great covers and throw in some originals as well.
https://youtu.be/JaK7NZES-44

I could go on for a while about the music especially if you want to get into the rock bands.
Thanks!

Old 02-08-2018, 09:54 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Everything. You can't sample everything in one visit or you would be eating all of the time. My wife and I can be in the middle of lunch and I'll ask where she wants to go for dinner.

Here are our favorites:
Felix's - It's across the street from Acme Oyster House. Acme is the tourist spot and Felix's is geared towards locals. If they are serving raw oysters then sit at the bar with Izzy (he's there after 5pm). The sampler will get you a taste of etoufee, jambalaya and red beans & rice. The crab claws are a great appetizer. There's not much on the menu that I don't like.

Desire - It's part of the Royal Sonesta Hotel. Shrimp and grits is great.

Royal Oyster House - It's on Royal near the courthouse. Has great balcony dining if the weather is good. I'd trade that for Robert the server. Get him to tell you the Pope joke.

Verti Marte - It's on Royal near Esplinade. Get the All That Jazz sandwich.

Central Grocery - Best muffaletta down there.

Laura's Candies - On Charters - At least get a dark chocolate truffle.

Deja Vu Diner - corner of Dauphine and Conti - Like the sign says "good food". Open 24x7 serving really good sober you up food. The gumbo isn't bad either.

Deanie's Seafood - Dauphine and Iberville - BBQ shrimp, crawfish balls and broiled stuffed shrimp.

Cafe Beignet - On Royal by the police station and across from the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon - The beignets are better than Cafe Dumond. Their other pastries aren't bad either.

Ruby Slipper - It's on Canal. Get there early for breakfast. My wife says their biscuits rival her late grandmother's.

We try to avoid places that have someone trying to get you in the door. If the food was good enough then they wouldn't have to try.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:26 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,428,694 times
Quote:
Everything listed above, but I would also add:

Antoine's - Oyster Rockefeller

Brennan's - Bananas Foster

Not as much to say that they are the best, but rather New Orleans originals.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:47 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,310,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Everything. You can't sample everything in one visit or you would be eating all of the time. My wife and I can be in the middle of lunch and I'll ask where she wants to go for dinner.

Here are our favorites:
Felix's - It's across the street from Acme Oyster House. Acme is the tourist spot and Felix's is geared towards locals. If they are serving raw oysters then sit at the bar with Izzy (he's there after 5pm). The sampler will get you a taste of etoufee, jambalaya and red beans & rice. The crab claws are a great appetizer. There's not much on the menu that I don't like.

Desire - It's part of the Royal Sonesta Hotel. Shrimp and grits is great.

Royal Oyster House - It's on Royal near the courthouse. Has great balcony dining if the weather is good. I'd trade that for Robert the server. Get him to tell you the Pope joke.

Verti Marte - It's on Royal near Esplinade. Get the All That Jazz sandwich.

Central Grocery - Best muffaletta down there.

Laura's Candies - On Charters - At least get a dark chocolate truffle.

Deja Vu Diner - corner of Dauphine and Conti - Like the sign says "good food". Open 24x7 serving really good sober you up food. The gumbo isn't bad either.

Deanie's Seafood - Dauphine and Iberville - BBQ shrimp, crawfish balls and broiled stuffed shrimp.

Cafe Beignet - On Royal by the police station and across from the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon - The beignets are better than Cafe Dumond. Their other pastries aren't bad either.

Ruby Slipper - It's on Canal. Get there early for breakfast. My wife says their biscuits rival her late grandmother's.

We try to avoid places that have someone trying to get you in the door. If the food was good enough then they wouldn't have to try.
We eat at Acme in Covington a lot, and the food is excellent.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:29 PM

139 posts, read 211,699 times
I recommend coming during French Quarter Fest. Fantasric time! Stay away from Bourbon after 8 pm unless you like dem freaky people.

Quote:
I'm sorry if there have been a million threads like this already, but I'm going on a trip to New Orleans in April and I would like some recommendations.

I'm from New York and I'll be staying in downtown New Orleans from April 12-16. I'm 22 and I'll be with two of my friends, age 24 and 32.

I already know about Bourbon Street and of course I'll check that out, but I hear it's heavily touristy so I want to do something more local oriented at least 1 or 2 of our nights out. I like to be one of the "in the know" tourists, rather than one who only does the stereotypical tourist stuff. How is Frenchman street?

Any bars or clubs in particular that stand out?

And I would like to know some good restaurants, I want to try as much Creole food as I can while I'm there. That is the name of New Orleans' local cuisine, correct?

And any other recommendations for cool things to see are also welcome. Thank you very much!

Old 02-10-2018, 09:57 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDavisCSA View Post
I recommend coming during French Quarter Fest. Fantasric time! Stay away from Bourbon after 8 pm unless you like dem freaky people.
The bands don't stop covering Journey and Bon Jovi until midnight. About 1am you can talk them into playing something by Tool, Alice In Chains or Rage Against The Machine.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:28 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
If you go to the famous Cafe du Monde for breakfast, BRING CASH!! They don't take plastic, despite 100% of their clientele being tourists.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:28 PM

860 posts, read 1,194,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If you go to the famous Cafe du Monde for breakfast, BRING CASH!! They don't take plastic, despite 100% of their clientele being tourists.
99%. It's still the best deal in the quarter. Just have to time it when there's not a line down the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans