Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD snowbird View Post
I have been checking out the blogs here for a few weeks and can't believe how different the opinions are. Some love LA, some can't wait to get out. My family is seriously considering a move in March 2009. Currently we live in South Dakota - the frozen wasteland.

If you love LA, tell me why and where.

If you want out, tell me why.

I'm interested in hearing it all. Please keep in mind, we have a 12 year old son.

THANKS ALL!!
i love NO for numerous reasons. our history, culture, food, entertainment, and great people. you will fall in love with our city. yes, we have problems, like any large city. but since hurricane katrina, we have been working very hard to set things right. looking for something for a 12 year old? how about the insecterium, the aquariam, the world class zoo, childrens museum, these to name a few places to go. like sports? we have professional football, basketball, and baseball as well as college and high school teams who are highly rated. want more? let me know. we would love to have you. (no snow here)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 05:53 PM

400 posts, read 1,238,511 times
Thank you Nanakay, for responding so positively. I was starting to get a little discouraged by all the negative comments I have been reading, not necessarily on this post but a lot of the others.
I appreciate the advice on where to take our son, he would love most of those places and loves sports too.
Which towns would you recommend between BR and NO for a family friendly place to live? We do have a dog, I know this makes it harder to rent here. We are planning to rent at first but looking to buy in the first 4-6 months.
Thanks
Snowbird

Old 10-03-2008, 06:02 PM

400 posts, read 1,238,511 times
Anole--
That's exactly what I'm talking about. I wish there was still a place where the closest neighbor is not feet away, more like a 5 minute walk. I would love to live in the place you describe from memory.

Southern Belle--
I really would rather have 90+ degrees and 90% humidity in March than the 3-4feet+ of snow, 0 degree F temps and 30 mph winds out of the north that I have now for at least 3 months (usually more like 4+) that I have now. I have sat in my living room in January and watched the miniblinds sway because the freezing winds outside are blowing that hard in around the frames of the windows. Sounds like fun, right??
I spend days working outside, digging up, dividing and replanting huge plants when the temps are around 90-100 degrees F and humidity is hovering around 80-85% and while it's not ideal, it's not that terrible either. I think I would adjust and be happier.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:26 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,025,234 times
I don't see anything wrong with Lousiiana. Sure it has problems just like everywhere else. I have lived here almost my entire life except for a brief period in Arizona when I was a kid and in NW Florida where I was stationed at Eglin. The food is second to none and there are plenty of things to see and do in this state.

Mobile is a nice city, Midtowndoll, been there many times and am well familiar with it. However I don't want to move to it. I don't see any advantage to Mobile at all. It is nice though.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:08 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,706 times
Quote:
Thank you Nanakay, for responding so positively. I was starting to get a little discouraged by all the negative comments I have been reading, not necessarily on this post but a lot of the others.
I appreciate the advice on where to take our son, he would love most of those places and loves sports too.
Which towns would you recommend between BR and NO for a family friendly place to live? We do have a dog, I know this makes it harder to rent here. We are planning to rent at first but looking to buy in the first 4-6 months.
Thanks
Snowbird
SD - I didn't grow up in Louisiana but man do I love it here. i was a Yankee my first 16 years and now I'm a "Louisianian" . Yeah!!! My mother keeps trying to get me to move away from here because of the hurricanes but she lives in Oklahoma so I've told her, at least I have warning and in Oklahoma with the tornatoes you don't.

The food, people, weather, people, activities, people, (you get the idea) are wonderful. I don't think I could ever leave.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:25 PM

247 posts, read 1,109,883 times
Quote:
Not sure why I chose La, just did. Something pulls at me, I guess.
Certainly I can see why you would. It's a fascinating, mysterious place but so are other Southern cities that have the same background, but less problems. That's the key: it's got major problems as anyone can see.
My suggestion: if you have a choice and can settle anywhere in the Deep South, you owe it to yourself AND your family to look at other places, like Mobile, AL or also Pensacola, FL ( Spanish influence- very old, older than Mobile- circa 1559!!! Although actually they were on Mobile Bay before going to St. Augustine). Savannah, GA- also amazing.
If you still find you love it overall, settle in Louisiana. But NO is not the only place with a French influence, Creoles, Mardi Gras, and great food. Sports are huge in Alabama. (Bama is #2!)

Old 10-07-2008, 05:33 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,689,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You better love humidity to live there! It's rarely under 90% in the summer and the way it's calculated, you can actually have 95 temp and 110% humidity reported on the TV news. Does stepping outside and being instantly covered in sweat appeal to you? Want to get rashes in places you never knew you could get a rash? If yes, then New Orleans is the place for you! I was born there, lived there most of my life, but not now. Would not go back after KAtrina and my last relative is trying to leave.
It isn't the humidity that causes people to find the heat unbearable, it's all the air conditioning. Haven't you ever noticed that old people rarely complain about the heat. That is because they grew up without air conditioning and their bodies know that the heat is not that big of a deal. For example, after Gustav when everyone was without air conditioning, my mother, who is in her 90's, couldn't have cared less. She just went about her day like nothing was wrong, while the rest of us were drowning in sweat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans