Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 01:32 PM

18 posts, read 64,795 times

Advertisements

I have about a week in the beginning of August to find an apartment in New Orleans/Metairie/Kenner. It'll also be my first time in NOLA (except for a daytrip 11 yrs ago!), so I don't have much time to get to know the city.

A friend of a friend from the area suggested that I work with a Real Estate Agent given my time constraints and my unfamiliarity with the area. I had simply planned on using Craig's List before, so do people think that an Agent would be really helpful? Would they typically have access to nicer rentals than what you can find on your own?

Also, does the agent get a commission from the tenant or the landlord? I know in the Northeast, tenants often pay a month or 15% of a year's rent to the agent, but I'm hoping to avoid that! Of course, I'm much less inclined to use an agent if I have to pay anything besides credit check and a minimal application fee (<$100).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 02:49 PM

22 posts, read 92,206 times
I found a place rather easily using Craigslist while in town for 2 days. If you're going to be down here for a week, that should be plenty of time. If you decide to live in New Orleans, I would not suggest living in an apartment. Look for a half double shotgun/camelback (variation of a shotgun). Decide what area of the city you'd like to live in (Uptown? the Quarter? Mid-City? etc...) before coming and hone in on that area. You can find out a lot just by doing research on the Internet. Set up some appointments with people on Craigslist before you get here. You shouldn't have any problems.

I don't know anything about RA agents here except that a lot of them use Craigslist to advertise their properties.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juana_the_piranha View Post
If you decide to live in New Orleans, I would not suggest living in an apartment. Look for a half double shotgun/camelback (variation of a shotgun). Decide what area of the city you'd like to live in (Uptown? the Quarter? Mid-City? etc...) before coming and hone in on that area.
Frankly, I'm not sure if I can decide on a specific part of town before visiting. I've moved around a lot and don't always get the same feeling of a place as what I'm told online. I will probably start my search in the Garden District, but I'm worried that it may be a bit too expensive for me, and that the college students have taken up most of the nice but affordable places! That and I haven't ruled out the suburbs either.

What do you think are the advantages of a shotgun/camelback over an apartment? I was thinking of looking at newer apartment buildings because I'm wary of older houses and potential mold problems.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:40 PM

22 posts, read 92,206 times
Perhaps decide was the wrong verb. I guess what I mean is, choose some areas where you THINK you'd like to live. The Garden District would be fantastic. My point is, I think you might be overwhelmed if you come down and don't have any ideas in mind, but it seems you do, so that's good.

Why are you considering the suburbs, btw? Are you worried about safety? Money?

I prefer shotguns because I find them more charming and much more interesting than apartment buildings. The house I live in is about 100-years-old and has been cared for lovingly. It has original hardwood floors, fireplaces in nearly every room, and 12ft ceilings. To me, apartment living just can't compare. There is no mold, no leaks, and no other problems that might be associated with older houses. Granted, I looked at some dumps before finding this place, but it was worth it.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:43 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,744 times
Apartments here are noisy, and IMHO not built that well. Plus the few around, the Saulet is pricey junk...American Can I hear is well...scary. I'm not sure about the Preserve or the Falstaff.

I'd just rent somewhere Uptown.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:55 PM

I'm considering the burbs b/c I've been living in large cities for a long time now, and am starting to want a "quieter lifestyle." I also figured that because of the timing with college students flooding into parts of town I'm considering (Garden District/Uptown) it would be easier to find a nice, newer but affordable rental outside of the city. I'm not entirely sold on "new apartments" only, but frankly, I've been burnt on the "old houses with character" (i.e. "prone to maintenance issues") thing frequently the last few years! Safety/crime is definitely a concern of mine as well.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:35 PM

17 posts, read 33,886 times
Oh, so you want regular running water?? PICKY, PICKY!! (Ha-Ha!!)
Due to enrollment shortfalls after Katrina, the uptown universities (Tulane and Loyola) have enacted mandatory "living on campus" regulations for freshman AND sophomores (instead of just freshmen) in order to fill the residence halls. The consequence is that there is more housing available around the universities and by August, landlords are getting pretty desperate to rent it!! There are LOTS of "For Rent" signs in my uptown neighborhood, which is very quiet. I think you could negotiate a pretty good deal in a nice area!

Old 07-30-2009, 04:41 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,241,105 times
One word: Uptown.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:14 AM

175 posts, read 939,311 times
Default Relocating to NOLA-today

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
One word: Uptown.
Ok, I heard you. Others have suggested that area as well.

My daughter (age 30) is relocating to NOLA from Boston. At this minute she is in Metarie. Previous posts suggest using Craig's List and some say there are many rental signs, and the Gambit Classified. So, what is the best way to find a place? Are realtors in NOLA willing to work with renters? I'm a realtor in Houston and we typically take 1/2 of the first month's rent as the commission (from the landlord). How is a realtor commission paid in NOLA?

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans