Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2013, 02:32 PM
A&E

11 posts, read 19,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC10029 View Post
I did my walk thru but forgot to ask are the ceiling and walls concrete, does anybody know?
During our walk through we were told that the floors are 8 inches of concrete. The walls between apartments are made up of 2 sheets of drywall on each side of the apartments with acoustic and fire rated insulation, and the wall between rooms within the apartments are 1 sheet of drywall on each side with insulation.

Last edited by A&E; 02-08-2013 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 06:12 AM

25,432 posts, read 37,238,129 times
Quote:
we were told that the floors are 8 inches of concrete
I'll bet it's less.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:55 AM

184 posts, read 334,577 times
The Offering Plan states exactly what materials were used for floors, walls etc. It also states the 80% carpet which is a NYC DOH rule not an "age" of the building. Condos are usually the only ones exempt because they make up their own rules. Not carpeting your floors and being the cause of excessive noise will allow the board to remove you. A friend just spent a small fortune to avoid this same issue. IMO, using the appropriate area rugs 8x10 etc will help make sure this isn't an issue but it doesnt satisfy the requirement.
Since everything is painted plain white I wont worry about paint as I will re-paint myself but I noticed small cosmetic issues when I picked out my apartment that I will have to address. Also make sure your windows open & close with ease, if they don't then they might not be squared and that is a big problem. The heating & air units are also a big item to check as well making sire there are no open holes behind cabinets or broken tiles. I'm bummed about no overhead lighting...I'd like a ceiling fan and hate the ones that use chains...oh well...with 8in of concrete between floors then that would be the major reason for no overhead lighting. Very expensive to add conduits to concrete with wires, it would lower the ceilings drastically..

Last edited by marshland; 02-09-2013 at 09:27 AM..

Old 02-09-2013, 05:18 PM

47 posts, read 84,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soontobehomeowner View Post
The lighting is also my main pet peeve, I would like to have a ceiling light @least in the living room/area.
Am I wrong to think that it will be easy to hire a contractor to put up a ceiling fan or overhead light as there is overhead lighting in the kitchen and the hallway? Also, did anyone see if there was a fan in the bathroom to prevent the much dreaded mould?

Old 02-09-2013, 05:43 PM

49 posts, read 79,568 times
Yes there is a fan in the bathroom, mine was behind the door. Btw did anyone noticed the toilet napkin holder is backward, Or was it me.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:31 PM

Toilet tissue holder was pointing toward the door which was fine, my concern was the two inch gab for the tissue . Something was in the way. I asked and they said that it was in the plan to be that way . It didn't seem right to me. There's no way I can fit a full roll, maybe half. Please someone double check and let me know.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:18 AM

25,432 posts, read 37,238,129 times
Quote:
Very expensive to add conduits to concrete with wires, it would lower the ceilings drastically..
Not expensive or complicated to do if the conduit is laid BEFORE the concrete is poured on it. It just takes a little advanced planning.

I am in a 40 year old bulding with 3 ceiling fixtures in the concrete connected to switches on the wall, having just left a 25 year old place with two set in concrete.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:44 AM

184 posts, read 334,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lqqk View Post
Yes there is a fan in the bathroom, mine was behind the door. Btw did anyone noticed the toilet napkin holder is backward, Or was it me.
It would face the door assuming you are sitting pulling towards you so it doesn't slip off the holder. I'm not crazy about those fixtures or the towel hooks but they are easy to change. It should fit a standard roll of tissue, might look small at first glance. You can rotate it by loosening the screw with an Allan wrench then rotate then retighten. Hello Super can you fix my toilet paper holder? Thank you!!!

The drywall on the ceiling has to be adhered by some studs possibly allowing to add low clearance overhead lights or wall sconces if desired. A good electrician will tell you.

As everyone designs their new spaces (in their head) if you find a good electrician or tile guy please share their contact info. Tell then your sharing the info and perhaps they give you a discount. I'd like to tile the backsplash in the kitchen to add color. I believe there's only a 4inch backsplash now that matches the counter.

For those who did their walk thru. Was there a checklist from the company to use? I thought I read there is and you sign off on it.

If anyone needs furniture let me know. I'm getting a studio and my dresser is too big. I have a dresser, matching night stand, 32" flat screen tv. Getting smaller dresser and BIGGER TV!!! Lol. None of it expensive. Send me a message here and I'll send you info. Thanks.

Last edited by marshland; 02-10-2013 at 10:53 AM..

Old 02-10-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshland View Post
It would face the door assuming you are sitting pulling towards you so it doesn't slip off the holder. I'm not crazy about those fixtures or the towel hooks but they are easy to change. It should fit a standard roll of tissue, might look small at first glance. You can rotate it by loosening the screw with an Allan wrench then rotate then retighten. Hello Super can you fix my toilet paper holder? Thank you!!!

The drywall on the ceiling has to be adhered by some studs possibly allowing to add low clearance overhead lights or wall sconces if desired. A good electrician will tell you.

As everyone designs their new spaces (in their head) if you find a good electrician or tile guy please share their contact info. Tell then your sharing the info and perhaps they give you a discount. I'd like to tile the backsplash in the kitchen to add color. I believe there's only a 4inch backsplash now that matches the counter.

For those who did their walk thru. Was there a checklist from the company to use? I thought I read there is and you sign off on it.

If anyone needs furniture let me know. I'm getting a studio and my dresser is too big. I have a dresser, matching night stand, 32" flat screen tv. Getting smaller dresser and BIGGER TV!!! Lol. None of it expensive. Send me a message here and I'll send you info. Thanks.
There isn't really a check list, what they did was write everything you thought needed fixing. For example the screw on our window wasn't all the way in. They punched that on the paper, Once everything is written and the walk thur is done and sign, they will make a copy of it and give you the copy..

As to your other question about the tiles or any electric, i think they have to be approved by managment first and they have to be insured and licensed. But I can be wrong.

What i was trying to say was the one in our bathroom 1) too far from the toilet 2) the gab was less than three of my fingers because there was something in front of it. I know that it supposed to fit but it wasn't straight.. Or it could just be me. I told them about it and they said they will check and test it just in case. They did say it did look funny.

Last edited by Lqqk; 02-10-2013 at 05:28 PM..

Old 02-11-2013, 07:05 AM

26 posts, read 44,321 times
They did provide me with a checklist at my walk-thru...they made notes under each category (kitchen, bathroom, entrance, etc.) of what needed fixing, and they checked items off as we examined them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery