Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 08:56 AM

9 posts, read 25,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyHustler View Post
GREAT NEWS: I started this thread 3 years ago as a place to learn, share and be encouraged on the NYCHA application process, more over within the N1 priority manhattan borough-wide waiting list but in all act open to everyone. It's been a long and frustrating journey for some and not so much for others but so many have benefitted from this thread as far as I can see and that positive aspect is still growing with every new post. So let's keep it going!!!

I went to see my apartment today at La Guardia Houses and it's a really great 1br, not too big and not too small but just perfect. It was completely renovated with a few minor details that were taken care of immediately and so I will be moving in Tomorrow. The process was great as the housing assistant was a very lovely lady and treated me well. I were asked for my passport, drivers license, birth certificate, social security card, proof of income and a landlord letter (or lease) and bank account interest statement. I were then asked to sign my lease and a few other documents, told the rules and policies and what to do and who to contact. I were then advices that I could pay my security, 1 month rent, carbon monoxide detector and fire alarm fee today since the apartment was ready. So, I walked a few blocks to the post office, got a money order, brought it back to the housing attendant, sign a few more documents and then given the key to main building door, apartment door, mail box door, and window key for child safety (2 of each). I were told that I could have a max of two A/C Units at $10 per month, 1 washer at 8 dollars but dryers are not allowed. I were also told I could add and extra lock to my door. I also received a new fridge and stove as a courtesy for all new tenants. I were also given a permit to move in... There is no permit for Saturday and Sunday moves but the housing assistant may work something out and has to be between 9-5pm only on weeks days but again they are willing to accommodate you. The area is right at china town and the population is 80% Asian and 20% black white and Latin and other. It's extremely quiet and safe, most of the resident are elderly. All-in-all everything went well.

Feel free to ask questions as I'm still here to help. Just use the quote button so I get it directly to my email. Later y'all

im so happy youre already done with this process. Do you think Queens takes 3 years as well? i was certified last week and was wonderying whats next
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 7,584 times
I was approved for smith houses it took 3 weeks for a letter but everytime i call they say im on a waiting list for apartment i dont understand why i have to wait if ive been approved for smith houses

Old 07-20-2017, 01:34 AM

9 posts, read 30,827 times
Hi I'm Currently in a DVD shelter with me and my two kids I applied for NYCHA in January 2017 then in February I went to the office in the Bronx to bring them all doucuments that they ask for so my status could be changed to N1 I brought the two police reports the advocacy letter and my Oder of protection they took the documents and with in a few weeks I got a letter back saying they couldn't change my status because the incident was just for one report and that I needed a second incident report meaning another police report that wouldn't be a problem I just was pissed that I had to do everything all over again so I went back to the office in April with my advocacy letter that had much more of my Dv history Three police reports and two Oder of protection one from
Family court and another from criminal that was on 4/26/17 The next day on 4/27/17 I went to the self serve portal and it said my status was changed to N1 I was so freaking happy Then I checked the self serve portal again the next day and it said I had a interview date for 5/19/17 so in my head I'm like wow this is all moving so fast 5/19/17 come I go to my interview I had all my papers in Oder what ever document she asked me for I had it the interview went well and I got certified five days later on 5/24/17 borough list of the Bronx once again I was so happy now that you all have the details I'm still waiting for NYCHA to select a development in the Bronx for me does anyone know how much longer I will have to wait oh I'm approved for a two bedroom apartment

Last edited by Justwaiting2017; 07-20-2017 at 01:53 AM..

Old 07-20-2017, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justhuman86 View Post
I was approved for smith houses it took 3 weeks for a letter but everytime i call they say im on a waiting list for apartment i dont understand why i have to wait if ive been approved for smith houses
@Justhuman86 how long did it take for you to get selected for that development can you fill me in a little more about your process if you don't mind

Old 07-24-2017, 09:05 AM

@lovely9285 are still waiting for your apartment I'm on the borough waiting list for the Bronx I'm N1 also and been certified since 5/24/17 today makes 8weeks and I also have two kids

Old 08-24-2017, 02:45 AM

1 posts, read 6,993 times
Hi I applied to public housin about a year now and haven't heard anything do you know how long the process takes just to get an interview with housing. I have a disability would it give me better chances ?

Old 10-17-2017, 07:07 AM

18 posts, read 46,341 times
I been certified for the Taylor wythe houses since june of 2014 it's now October of 2017 and I have yet to view an apartment. I am a w3...nycha outreach contacted me. Lucky thing I signed up for the affordable housing they have been interviewing me for different buildings. They are much quicker then nycha. Nychousingconnect....try them also as you wait on nycha. All you have to do is go online and fill out one application one time unless through out the time your income change. Anyway fill it out apply and that application goes to any building you apply for. Alway have a back up plain don't stop at nycha

Old 10-19-2017, 06:59 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,889,108 times
Haha we have been waiting for Nycha 10 plus years. I reapply every 2 years. Guess I should have had 4 kids to get anything. Not having kids hurts chances for Nycha

Old 10-22-2017, 08:20 PM

18 posts, read 46,341 times
@jayden22 I understand it took me 10 years to have my interview with housing, I got certified quick now its 3 1/2 years later and I am waiting to see an apartment. So my process is taking long anyway 13 1/2 years long. hopefully thats means something better and more affordable is making its way to me. I might as well hit the lotto if I want to stay in ny. I might just move out of nyc after I retire

Old 11-07-2017, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 6,747 times
I'm just so dissapointed,I need to know where can I go or who could I speak to about my apartment transfer besides my housing manager.Ive had my transfer put in for a while already for my development but after waiting and nothing coming up I was able to put in my transfer to another development and as they working on my transfer my manager tells me that my transfer expired.That supposedly they had sent me a letter saying if I was still interested in my transfer I had to go online and reply.something new housing was doing.I don't recall getting this letter and I've been on top of my manager constantly asking about my transfer and she knows it.So now she said i have to start all over again and get on the waiting list after waiting so long.Its just frustrating.i just can't stop here there must be something can do or someone to help me.i live in a2 bedroom with my 16 year old son 3 year old and my niece and nephew wich I've adopted.The apartment is small and has become so uncomfortable living all jammed up.The kids are growing and need more space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery