Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 10,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney44 View Post
Common Ground is doing the rent back ground checks for the low income applicants. I lived in a common ground building and there is a very "institutional" type of mentality here. Some of that is needed for some of the "populations" which live in Common Ground buildings (addicts), but there are simply low income individuals who live here - and the Common Ground staff don't really adjust their perspectives accordingly. I'm wondering if that is why you've gotten this type of discourse. Of course anyone knows that you can't just randomly move additional people in if they are not on the lease.

Scroll to the end of this article and you will see that Common Ground is involved with Gotham.

Common Ground | Real Deal: Meet the Landlord, Brenda Rosen
Totally agree about Common Ground not being able to adjust their perspective. I felt like I was in front of a parole board and I thought they were going to ask me to pee into a cup. Very presumptive attitude that I was hiding something that they generally see (drug habit, criminal record, homelessness, abuse). IMO that organization should not be involved in this type of setting. Frankly, I don't want to be perceived as a Common Ground client - even at arm's length.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 08:55 PM

4 posts, read 18,715 times
Does anyone live in the 510 building? How do you like it? Do you hear any noise from the train tracks?

Old 11-17-2013, 02:00 PM

10 posts, read 42,127 times
On Friday November 15th, I got a letter for the lottery West 45th Street to be interviewed. The deadline for this lottery was November 13th of last year 2012. This means they are still accepting applicants a year later. But I will have to pass on this since I am happy with where I'm at.

Back in January 2013, I applied for the Chelsea Park lottery apartment at 260 West 26th Street. The ad stated that there were 47 affordable units. The ad also clearly stated, Current and eligible residents of Manhattan Community Board 4 will receive preference for 50% of the units. I lived in Chelsea which is Community Board 4 and met the income requirements. So I applied and was hopeful.

My initial interview was on April 1st, 2013. On May 10th, I came in again and because was told I needed a co-signer since I didn't have enough equity. I had to give in my parents info and another money order for their credit check. From this date it took an additional 4 weeks to get my paperwork processed and approved by the city. On June 19th, I got a call saying that I was accepted for a one bedroom apartment. I signed the lease on June 28th and moved in on June 30th. The company that dealt with the West 26th Street lottery is called K&R Realty LLC.

The apartment building is located between 7th and 8th avenues and is 5 blocks from Penn Station. The 1 train is on 28th Street and the C and E trains exits are between 23rd-25th streets. It has 12 floors, 21 apartments per floor (floors 9-12 has less apartments per floor since the units are bigger). Each apartment has stainless steel refrigerator, oven and microwave. It even came with a dishwasher. The amenities are nice. 24/7 Concierge, Laundry on-site and an outside courtyard next to the laundrymat. However, I had to pay $500 extra to use the extra amenities: A personal gym, playroom for children, Yoga Studio, A room to wash your pets (building is pet friendly) Rooftop (with views of both the Empire State building and the new World Trade Center/Freedom Tower building) an Inside/Outside Community Lounge with lots of seating, 2 flat screen tvs and pool table with full kitchen stove microwave refrigerator, etc just in case you want to have a party with lots of guest,. I'm curious to what kind of amenities are at West 45th Street.

However, there are a few things that irk me:
1. You have to pay an extra ($300 or $350 I'm not sure of the exact amount) for bicycle storage. Thankfully, I don't own a bike.
2. Closet space is small and currently no storage is offered
3. The entire payment for the extra amenities needed to be made up front (not in monthly payments like the rent)
4. Not being able to choose my apartment. There were 2 choices for 1 bedroom applicants
5. They are charging me pro-rated charges from the date I signed the lease, not from the date I moved in. I didn't pay it yet because I was not sure if this was even legal?

Last edited by ChocolateGirl123; 11-17-2013 at 03:21 PM..

Old 11-17-2013, 02:25 PM

10 posts, read 42,127 times
Interesting to read a thread about another lottery. In my building Chelsea Park 260 West 26th Street, there are only studios, 1 bedroom and 2 bedrooms. But the 2 bedroom apt have washer & dryer and 2 bathrooms. Not sure if both bathrooms are full sized or only one is full sized.

Last edited by ChocolateGirl123; 11-17-2013 at 03:23 PM..

Old 11-18-2013, 09:59 PM

7 posts, read 29,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_18042 View Post
Does anyone live in the 510 building? How do you like it? Do you hear any noise from the train tracks?
I'm a resident of 510 and I like it so far. The staff is great and always willing to help. I do hear the noise from the train, but its VERY minimal. It sounds nothing like the A train rumbling down 8th ave. I'm very sensitive to noise and must say the train underneath the building is not a disturbance.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:10 PM

70 posts, read 140,155 times
Hello everyone,
I have read this thread in its entire and found it very enlightening. Most of the questions I've had were answered throughout this thread. After applying for 45 Lottery in Sept 2012, I received a letter last week informing me that I was randomly selected. I am so thrilled and I have been thinking of nothing else since. I gave all my relevant paper work within 48 hours and am patiently waiting for a call for the interview. Fingers crossed!

I only have a few of questions to ask of you and hope you can help:
- I fall in the third tier for income requirements. Are alcove studios (2.5 studios) available to choose from or will it strictly be the one-room studios for selection?
- Alcove Suites - were any on you able to see or chose these apartments at 550 West 45th? Was it spacious enough for 1 person and how was the closet space?
- How does deposits work? When I say deposits, I am referring to one month's rent and security. Does it apply?
- Are there fees for the amenities in the building, for example bike storage, yoga class etc.?
- How much time is given to move-in once approved? I am wondering if I would get enough time to break my current lease if necessary and not **** us my landlord.

Any detailed insight would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:43 PM

Just an update. I emailed the West 45 lottery office just to make sure they received all of my pertinent paperwork. I got a response the next day confirming that it was received and that there is a "back log" from HUD and that there was a change in personnel. They will try to get back to me as soon as possible. Crossing my fingers.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:09 AM

32 posts, read 111,879 times
Hi Sazzette,

Backlog from HUD or HPD?

Old 12-16-2013, 07:39 AM

Hi sydney44,

Sorry, I meant HPD. They said there was a huge backlog at HPD and their office with numerous applications waiting to be processed. This was caused by a standard audit along with major personnel changes.

I'm just trying to be patient and not go crazy thinking about it.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:08 PM

343 posts, read 1,092,876 times
ChocolateGirl, they said you didn't have enough equity? isn't the point of this process to give low income people housing.. why would you need MORE equity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery