Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 06:39 PM

23 posts, read 57,740 times

Advertisements

Well, I spent the weekend getting more paperwork together. Oh I hope this is it. And the next call I hear is "you are in a one bedroom" in the 550 W45th Street building!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 10:03 AM

5 posts, read 14,978 times
I live in one of the buildings of Gotham West, and yes, 550 W45, the big market rate tower is the 80-20 building. From what I understand, and this may be not completely accurate, the bulk of the "20" are housed in the lower wing that faces 44th Street. Incidentally, the other 3 buildings, are NOT 80-20. They are inhabited by tenants, through a lottery and vetting process, whose incomes span across the 4 income tiers that were explicitly provided in the marketing and application process that took place in 2012.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:31 PM

Default Further info please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFRHK View Post
I live in one of the buildings of Gotham West, and yes, 550 W45, the big market rate tower is the 80-20 building. From what I understand, and this may be not completely accurate, the bulk of the "20" are housed in the lower wing that faces 44th Street. Incidentally, the other 3 buildings, are NOT 80-20. They are inhabited by tenants, through a lottery and vetting process, whose incomes span across the 4 income tiers that were explicitly provided in the marketing and application process that took place in 2012.
Which building do you live in? Not sure I understand your post - I thought the Gotham West, all addresses, was not 80/20 but was by lottery. I'm applying through the lottery. I have friends who have gotten apartments through the lottery in the 530 building.
Any further info you have would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-04-2014, 05:24 PM

343 posts, read 1,092,999 times
80/20 is the lottery. "80/20" is the program and the lottery is the selection process. 20% of units are reserved for ppl making lower incomes and those units are filled by lottery, hence the 20 in 80/20.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:44 PM

Bella Love's response is partially correct. The lottery included 4 tiers of income, 2 that are considered lower, and 2 that are considered moderate and middle. You might still be able to find the tier chart online. The 20% in the 80/20 building (550) are from the 2 lower tiers, I believe, but not from the 2 higher. We were ALL selected via the lottery, but the big market rate building (550) only contains people who were from the lower 2 tiers. The other 3 buildings are basically all affordable units, and are inhabited by residents from all 4 tiers, selected via the lottery and vetting process. I prefer not to say which building I am in, but I hope this information is useful and wish you luck!

Old 02-04-2014, 11:00 PM

I am a tenant one of the three buildings that is only for "affordable units." Keep in mind that these apartments span 4 income tier ranges. There's enough diversity, at least in that respect. Many tenants in these buildings are paying plenty for their apartments, just considerably less than the market rate values, in light of its amazing Hell's Kitchen, Manhattan location.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:12 PM

Just as one of the guys at the Front Desk at 530, if you haven't done so already, how big your apartment is in Square Feet. They have the information right there, and gave it to me right away (I live in one of the buildings). They are great guys.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:24 AM

107 posts, read 246,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CITY GIRL 18 View Post
Yeah they were confused with one of my bank accounts and now I have to also bring more information with my self-employed income, although I thought I had already done that, but I am keeping current. Yes you are probably right about they want to make sure of the most up to date info and if anything has changed. OH BOY! I am so anxious! Well, more paperwork here we come, but hopefully his will be all worth it. God willing I will get that one bedroom, which is what I really need and want.
I am self-employed and I got in to 550 building. They checked 3 years of paper work, it toke me a year to get it but I was one of the first one to get in. ( I already lives there for 7 months).
I have no idea why everybody wants the 550, I have some friends who lives in 530 and their building is beautiful, you should be lucky if you get in in any of the buildings.

550 doesn't have a lot of 80/20, I have no idea why I got selected to this building, I didn't ask for it, maybe because that they had one unit available.

Good luck CITY GIRL.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:44 AM

343 posts, read 1,092,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nychh View Post
I am self-employed and I got in to 550 building. They checked 3 years of paper work, it toke me a year to get it but I was one of the first one to get in. ( I already lives there for 7 months).
why did it take a year?

Old 02-06-2014, 09:06 AM

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nychh View Post
I have no idea why everybody wants the 550, I have some friends who lives in 530 and their building is beautiful, you should be lucky if you get in in any of the buildings.

550 doesn't have a lot of 80/20, I have no idea why I got selected to this building, I didn't ask for it, maybe because that they had one unit available.

Good luck CITY GIRL.
Oh thanks so much for your info. Yes it is a beautiful building and so is the 530. I know someone in there. I just love the 550. It's gorgeous inside. Yes, I have also given 3 years of paperwork. Well, I am praying I will get in. Thank you again. Hope to see you in the building!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery