Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 06:30 PM

107 posts, read 246,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CITY GIRL 18 View Post
Oh thanks so much for your info. Yes it is a beautiful building and so is the 530. I know someone in there. I just love the 550. It's gorgeous inside. Yes, I have also given 3 years of paperwork. Well, I am praying I will get in. Thank you again. Hope to see you in the building!
Don't give up, since we are self employee and we write our own expenses, they take extra caution with us.
I had to submit paper works for over a year, every 3 months they asked for more and more paper work and also I had to wait until my unit was available . I think the whole process toke a little over year but now, the units are ready so they are more in a rush to get tenets in.
Don't give up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 06:37 PM

23 posts, read 57,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nychh View Post
Don't give up, since we are self employee and we write our own expenses, they take extra caution with us.
I had to submit paper works for over a year, every 3 months they asked for more and more paper work and also I had to wait until my unit was available . I think the whole process toke a little over year but now, the units are ready so they are more in a rush to get tenets in.
Don't give up.
Oh thank you so much for your positive response. I am keeping my hopes up. Yes, maybe it will go faster now that the apartments are available. Hope we will be neighbors!

Old 02-19-2014, 12:16 PM

70 posts, read 144,957 times
Default Still waiting but got the call!

Hello everyone. Just another update since my last post was in December. After submitting my paperwork in November 2013 and reaching out to West 45th Lottery in December to know my status, I've just received a call today asking me if I would like to proceed with the process. Hence it took 3 months after submitting my paperwork to finally hear from them. I am elated She was very pleasant and first said I was eligible for Tier 4 Studio which to be honest was definitely beyond my means. At first I told her to withdraw my application then I came to my senses, called back and she actually told me that she made a slight error and I was actually eligible for Tier 3 Studio. She then told me I may also be eligible for a 1-bedroom apartment. This all seemed strange, almost as if I just negotiated my eligibility . I was told I would hear from them within the next 2 weeks, possibly to provide more paperwork. There was no mention of an interview yet. A friend of mine told me he read a recent article in the NY Times that featured Gotham West and other developments and their difficulty and inability to fill these apartments with qualified and desirable tenants. Since September, Manhattan lardlords have seen a decrease in renters and have been forced to lower rents. That being said, Gotham West wants to fill these apartments and fill them fast but with young professionals. It is a very long process but I will be patient. Hope my next post is to confirm my residency at 550 West 45th.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:41 PM

158 posts, read 305,091 times
The Times article seems to be referring to market rate units;

Currently, Gotham is leasing Gotham West, a major mixed-use project in Hell’s Kitchen between West 44th and West 45th Streets. The project has 1,238 units, 554 at market rate and 684 affordable. Since leasing began last August, about 33 percent have rented. Market-rate one-bedrooms start around $3,400 a month. But the leasing pace of about seven deals a week in the early fall slowed to about four deals a week in November and December, Mr. Picket said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/16/re...es-are-up.html

Old 02-19-2014, 02:05 PM

Hi OldYork, thank you for posting the article. Yes, it looks like it is indeed referring to market rate units. I supoose only 33 persont of the 554 market units have been rented thus far. I am curious to know what the percentage of the 684 "affordable" units have been rented.

I do feel however that overall 550 West 45th since becoming available is not filling up quickly. That could be for a number of reasons. I may be a little too optimistic but the fact that since the closing of applications in Nov 2012; I was now contacted in February 2014 with my log number (27XXX) and I do not even reside in Manhattan. I believe this speaks volumes.

Still crossing fingers

Old 02-19-2014, 02:58 PM

158 posts, read 305,091 times
I think your right Sazzette, with so many units they must be having a difficult time to find qualified tenants.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:07 PM

14 posts, read 48,381 times
Sazzette-

You seem to be implying that since Gotham is having difficulty renting the market rate apartments they are making them available as affordable apartments. I don't think that is so. I live in 530 and there are still a number of apartments on my floor that are not rented, most of which face the school yard on 44th Street. There are only so many agents renting out the affordable apartments and each takes a lot of time and paperwork. Lastly, they aren't negotiating or making deals on the affordable apartments, the Tiers and pricing are all clearly laid out in the application so you can easily go there to see what your income makes you eligible for.

You should also know that while 550 has a more impressive entrance, the square footage on many of the apartments is smaller than that of the apartments in 530 and 510, the studios in particular. Many of the amenities in the building are extra. Also,the affordable unit renters tend to be less transient then market rate renters and know that they have to have a good relationship with their neighbors who they will probably live next to for twenty to thirty years.

Good luck to you with whatever you get, but I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you land.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:54 AM

343 posts, read 1,095,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applicant View Post
I live in 530 and there are still a number of apartments on my floor that are not rented, most of which face the school yard on 44th Street.

You should also know that while 550 has a more impressive entrance, the square footage on many of the apartments is smaller than that of the apartments in 530 and 510, the studios in particular. Many of the amenities in the building are extra.
Question - are you an affordable tenant? i'm guessing you are but you didn't specify so i wanted to be sure... if so, how does your apartment differ from the market rate apartments? is it smaller? are there different fixtures, flooring or appliances?

Old 02-20-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applicant View Post
Sazzette-

You seem to be implying that since Gotham is having difficulty renting the market rate apartments they are making them available as affordable apartments. I don't think that is so. I live in 530 and there are still a number of apartments on my floor that are not rented, most of which face the school yard on 44th Street. There are only so many agents renting out the affordable apartments and each takes a lot of time and paperwork. Lastly, they aren't negotiating or making deals on the affordable apartments, the Tiers and pricing are all clearly laid out in the application so you can easily go there to see what your income makes you eligible for.

You should also know that while 550 has a more impressive entrance, the square footage on many of the apartments is smaller than that of the apartments in 530 and 510, the studios in particular. Many of the amenities in the building are extra. Also,the affordable unit renters tend to be less transient then market rate renters and know that they have to have a good relationship with their neighbors who they will probably live next to for twenty to thirty years.

Good luck to you with whatever you get, but I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you land.

Hi Applicant,

I appreciate you giving more insight on 550. Things to definitely consider.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:49 PM

14 posts, read 48,381 times
Yes, I'm an affordable housing tenant. I think all of 530 is affordable, though I wouldn't swear to it. From what I've seen 550 apartments have slightly fancier fixtures and appliances, not that 530 and 510 are shabby by any means. I think the big difference is that 550 apartments have washers and dryers in each unit. 530 apartments have parquet floor while 550 and 510 (I believe) have wood strip floors. The building staff is terrific, hard working and very friendly. 510 does not have a doorman, but packages are delivered to the 530 concierge for them. From what I hear, but I don't know for sure, the 550 building only has affordable apartments in the lower tiers. But, it's a gift to live in any of the buildings. Please let me know if you have other questions.

You can see the models of some of the 550 apartments at: Touring Gotham West's Masses Of Eleventh Avenue Rentals - Curbed Inside - Curbed NY

Last edited by Applicant; 02-20-2014 at 12:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery