Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,988 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
New to the forum! I would like a second opinion on my experience with this process . I'm a bit confused . Two weeks ago I was called and left a detailed voicemail indicating that "my application is ready to be processed" "we have a studio apartment available at this time and I hope this is appealing to you" I was sent a letter in which I had to provide information , income, assets etc. I sent in all my info... The agent then emailed me asking if I had any other source of income. I replied and said no, all the information I sent was current. She then responded saying my income falls in the range of the apartment but it's a waiting list only. I just received a letter indicating I'm on the waiting list and have to contact the office every 6 months to remain there ? I'm EXTREMELY confused... Was I misled? From my understanding I was selected at random for the apartment.. Now I'm waiting again? Bare in mind I applied a year and a half ago... Someone plz get back to me and make me understand? I feel robbed . Hope this all makes sense .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 06:45 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,257,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmelen28 View Post
Hello all,
New to the forum! I would like a second opinion on my experience with this process . I'm a bit confused . Two weeks ago I was called and left a detailed voicemail indicating that "my application is ready to be processed" "we have a studio apartment available at this time and I hope this is appealing to you" I was sent a letter in which I had to provide information , income, assets etc. I sent in all my info... The agent then emailed me asking if I had any other source of income. I replied and said no, all the information I sent was current. She then responded saying my income falls in the range of the apartment but it's a waiting list only. I just received a letter indicating I'm on the waiting list and have to contact the office every 6 months to remain there ? I'm EXTREMELY confused... Was I misled? From my understanding I was selected at random for the apartment.. Now I'm waiting again? Bare in mind I applied a year and a half ago... Someone plz get back to me and make me understand? I feel robbed . Hope this all makes sense .
Simple you didn't fit the income range with an open apartment. You income fell in the range that is already filled therefore you are wait listed.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:07 AM

2 posts, read 5,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Simple you didn't fit the income range with an open apartment. You income fell in the range that is already filled therefore you are wait listed.
Except, the initial voicemail said there was a studio apartment available. I asked what was the income range, I fell in the range . I was never formally told I was rejected or didn't meet any requirements . The lady just only then said in our last email " this is a waiting list only ". But whatever I guess ! No biggie .

Old 08-26-2014, 03:12 PM

3 posts, read 9,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmelen28 View Post
Hello all,
Sounds like between the time they called and the followup, the apt was spoken for (an onsite visit would have 'reserved' the unit while it went through compliance). Having said that, the response from the office in my case was abysmal as my application has been held up in appeal for 2 months (despite being told it would be 30 days.) No reply whatsoever to any correspondence to the agent who was handling the file.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:18 AM

5 posts, read 15,021 times
Default Registered Guests

If you live in 510 or 511, you may be having the same issue that I am experiencing. Management has refused to provide a duplicate key fob for the front door, to give to duly registered guests with permission to enter. It has also steadfastly refused to permit the front desk at 530 to "buzz" in a registered guest, even if that guest first presents i.d., duplicate house keys, proof or residence elsewhere, offers their first born child, etc.

I believe this to be unfair and discriminatory in two ways; Management will grant access to dog walkers, housekeepers, nannies via the concierge or with a duplicate key fob (I am not sure which, as I have heard both stories). Moreover, residents of 530, who have duly registered guests do not need to be concerned with this. The guests there just present themselves at the front desk, show their keys and proceed to their host's apartment, even if the host is not home.

As those of you know who live in 510 or 511, the front desk at 530 has closed circuit cameras on all our building entrances, and they have the technical capacity to open front door entrances at 510 and 511. If you feel that their policy is unfair, inconvenient, and impinges on our rights to have guests staying in our apartments, giving them free access to come and go as they please (and as we please), please voice your discord with managment. You may not be concerned with this matter right now, but at some point in the future you might be, and then you will be inconvenienced.

I am investigating with various parties whether management is in violation of NYS Depart of Housing and Community Renewal code. More on that later. For now, it's important that residents voice their concern about this.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:52 PM

32 posts, read 111,963 times
Is this because 510 is mostly "low income"??

Old 09-05-2014, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,641 times
510- 511 are all mixed income tenants not more low income. I agree with not giving multiple key fobs out as this becomes a security issue to have people in and out all the time who are not tenants. I agree having a visitor staying w/o a key can be problematic but just give them your key and meet up with them later or have them buzz you in. I am sure no one wants to see the building turned into an airbnb so that may be one reason for no multiple key fobs. The desk at 530 works like any other doorman building. I use the gym there and never have problems. When I did visit someone in that building, I asked to be announced- just common courtesy. Truth be known, I would be happier if we had a security guard at the entrance- not having a doorman has been an adjustment. However, packages can be sent to the 530 building, building is always clean, and maintenance requests filled quickly, people seem nice, and all happy to be living in BRAND SPANKING NEW apartments.

My prior building only gave key fobs to the person on the lease - no exceptions.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,547 times
Default Self-Employed Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nychh View Post
I am self-employed and I got in to 550 building. They checked 3 years of paper work, it toke me a year to get it but I was one of the first one to get in. ( I already lives there for 7 months).
I have no idea why everybody wants the 550, I have some friends who lives in 530 and their building is beautiful, you should be lucky if you get in in any of the buildings.

550 doesn't have a lot of 80/20, I have no idea why I got selected to this building, I didn't ask for it, maybe because that they had one unit available.

Good luck CITY GIRL.
I am beginning the application process and am self-employed (mixture of W2s and 1099s) and I wonder:
1- Do they use Adjusted Gross Income (AGI), Gross Income, or Net Income in their calculations for self-employed people?
2- I am missing forms to approve for a background check, credit check, and IRS check. Are they going to send me those forms? If so, which ones?

Another Question: If our income has changed/fluctuated either higher or lower since 2012, can we be moved to a different financial bracket?

Old 09-11-2014, 05:38 PM

142 posts, read 505,737 times
I received an email from them today. Does anyone know how much the studio apartments are? (Those are the only ones available.) And for anyone living there, what has your experience been like? Thank you in advance?

Old 09-25-2014, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,872 times
Hello! I hope you are all settled nicely into your new apartments. I'm going through the application process now and have questions regarding the credit check. This is for a tier 4 studio.
1. how strict are they?
2. has anyone been denied for credit related reasons?

My credit sucks!!!! All from federal student loans. Basically, I recently went 150 days without paying and it made my credit look horrible. I appreciate any helpful feedback. Nothing else on my credit is bad. No collections, no judgements, credit cards are paid on time, excellent rental history.

The first 5 people to respond will get an ice cream cone or a glass of wine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery