Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 07:29 AM

28 posts, read 50,048 times

Advertisements

I haven't had any offers yet. But from reading this entire Q41 thread, I think they offered a 1 or 2 year lease. They did tell us about a 50 dollar fee if we were to be called again to see an apartment. The prices for the rentals are.the same ones you have on the postcard. Unfortunately the only ones left are the higher end price.

But anyways, lucky charms for all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 07:46 AM

For anyone that hasn't seen the apartment's, heres picture so you can get a feel of what all of them are like. This is the studio, the only thing that changes from the others is the size and layout. Construction materials are the same. Again, not multi million dollar finishes, but some sort of high end finishes indeed.
The black spots are other people that were there. Decided to brush paint them out just for privacy.
Attached Thumbnails
Q41 Affordable Housing Lottery-2014-05-10-09.38.46.jpg  

Old 05-10-2014, 11:50 AM

913 posts, read 2,274,799 times
I am done with my process...meaning paper work etc. They showed us 3 units. A studio, 1 bedroom, and a 2 bedroom. My favorite was the 1 bedroom because the one I was shown had an island in the kitchen.

Upon close inspection, i noticed all the materials were cheap and poor quality. Some was even falling apart when viewing the unit. The floor was moving and they said it's some new 'air floor'. Not sure if that's code 4 poorly constructed. The person collecting the paper work said the price of the apartments would be based on your income regardless of whether the post card received listed the higher price units. Yes, 1 and 2 year leases and rent stabilized. Also, the rep told me a few units are for sale. I am sure the ones for sale were better quality.

I am shocked the kitchen counter was not granite considering granite isn't that expensive.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:17 PM

86 posts, read 312,556 times
Q41 - agreed, was very disappointed about the finishes in the apartment. Considering how small the kitchen is, it wouldn't have costed much at all.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:25 PM

My only thought on why they didn't use granite would be that it'd be one of the few ways to distinguish between the high and low end apartments

Old 05-10-2014, 01:26 PM

Also - for anyone who has moved in - what are the move in costs? How much is security deposit, etc.

Any info would be appreciated.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:27 PM

Q41, did they give you more info of the units that are for sale? Prices or anything?

Old 05-10-2014, 02:36 PM

483 posts, read 692,921 times
So, World-Wayfarer got this:

Quote:
The prices for the rentals are.the same ones you have on the postcard. Unfortunately the only ones left are the higher end price.
and q41apartments got this directly contradictory statement:

Quote:
The person collecting the paper work said the price of the apartments would be based on your income regardless of whether the post card received listed the higher price units.
Sounds like they're still as organized as ever. </sarcasm>

Also, guessing this:

Quote:
They did tell us about a 50 dollar fee if we were to be called again to see an apartment.
means I'm not going to be called again since nobody ever asked me for any money, even though it's not my fault they couldn't run my credit check and no one called me back after 3 tries to explain how or if I could help them figure out how to get it (at least 6 other management companies have seen my SafeRent report and none of them had any trouble interpreting it, including my current, and I can certainly see Q41's pulls on the report). Nor was I particularly comforted by the letter I got some days afterwards saying I would be dropped from consideration "unless I returned my paperwork", my having actually done so some 7 days before receipt of this letter. These people couldn't wait to come up with some excuse to drop me from the process. I also find it hard to believe at this point that they're so desperate for tenants who qualify and are interested that they have to resort to selling the units, they must've been through at least 4,000 potential occupant households this far into the process, and it's not like they're filling a huge complex either.

Lastly, I would think an "air floor" is either designed to help with the heating and cooling system by circulating the HVAC (I couldn't find any proof in a quick Google that it's used in residential spaces, but it's the closest explanation I can find to the actual term); or my personal guess would be, a cushion of air is somehow incorporated to build the floor up, so that your downstairs neighbors don't have to listen to clomping high heels or toddlers pounding across the floor. I don't think it's anything to do with "poor construction".

Old 05-10-2014, 02:42 PM

913 posts, read 2,274,799 times
They didn't mention anything more about the units for sale. I tried to squeeze it out of the woman, but she wouldn't budge. I know there are 108 rentals and I am guessing 8 are for sale from what I read in an online article, but you can't always believe what you read. So I am guessing there are 116 units in total, but not completely sure. The 2 bedroom they showed us, we weren't even allowed to see the restroom. I am sure some muscle construction worker was probably cleaning the mess he created.

The counter had scratch marks on it and some parts of the window sides were pealing and cracking. Sounds corrupt like the building was funded with X amount of dollars and the designer's went to iKea to buy everything cheap and pocketed the rest of the money for themselves. Even the lounge area where paper work was collected was drowning in all chairs and sofas from iKea.

I don't know why I was expecting high end luxury and I thought that this is a city funded project so no need to dream too much. She confirmed it is rent stabilized and goes up the standard 3 to 5% every year that NYC allows. So no need to do credit check and tax return verification all over again every 2 years.

I wouldn't buy. I would be sad to know i spent so much money when everyone else got a break, or free ride and whatever they paid would never equal that persons hard work in paying the mortgage and maintenance fee.

They did mention some 50 dollar fee to process something, but forgot what it was called. They said if everything goes through, you'd need to have the first months rent and deposit ready. Obviously, there is no broker fee involved. They didn't say anything about unit prices except that the postcard is not always accurate and each income bracket has a low and high in the spectrum, so someone would do the math and get back to you. If someone's paycheck is $2,100.00 after taxes every 2 weeks, I doubt they would make that person pay the 2 bedroom at the highest rate of $2,186.00 as advertised in the newspaper. It's just not logical to make someone have their entire paycheck go to rent.

Last edited by q41apartments; 05-10-2014 at 03:10 PM..

Old 05-10-2014, 03:26 PM

I agree Q41 about the whole buying in that place. And yes Misskittytalks, I think there is a missing link in their communication.
Well, they checked my credit today. Its from somebody called Credco, pretty sure its from them. Haven't applied for anything in a long time.
I guess we just have to wait it off and see what they say, if they call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery