Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 05:53 PM

4 posts, read 6,035 times

Advertisements

Sracastillo has been more than kind in providing detailed information about the apartment. Negativity doesn't get you anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 05:53 AM

913 posts, read 2,277,017 times
It's not negativity and I actually believe you don't even know what that word truly means. I'm being a 'realist' and it's unfortunate you and a lot of other people in this world prefer to live in a fog than have truth delivered to your face because reality seems to be too earth shattering for some.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:03 AM

It's not negativity and I actually believe you don't even know what that word truly means. I'm being a 'realist' and it's unfortunate you and a lot of other people in this world prefer to live in a fog than have truth delivered to your face because reality seems to be too earth shattering for some.

By the way, how is Mr. Castillo being kind by telling me i took the place of someone else who needs an apartment? How does he know i dont need an apartment and what makes him assume the place i took of someone else really needed an apartment?

For people who really need housing is to get two jobs to make ends meet instead of popping up kids left and right and than asking for government assistance which means they punish the rest of society by having more taxes taken out of people's payroll check - that includes your own payroll check. So when you see all those deductions and you don't go home happy every Friday because your entire paycheck went to go pay for someone else's mistake - you'll know why. Perhaps the person's dream your paycheck went to help needs the apartment most, or do they?

Old 05-06-2014, 11:59 AM

45 posts, read 102,457 times
Listen, i don't want to argue with you. that is not the reason why I am in this tread. it just bothered me that every time i will read your comments, you had something horrible to say about the building or the area. when i saw the apartments ad on the newspaper the first thing i did was a research on the address, crime rates, then i went to see the actual place, i have to say i was a little discouraged because the area seemed to be isolated, however i looked into the benefits, and they were greater than the flaws so i went ahead and applied. so my point is that if you knew beforehand that this building was not the best option for you (and am basing on all your comments) then you shouldn't have applied.

good luck with your process.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:54 PM

I knew all those things about the area before hand as well, so this is not some shocker for me. I am just clearly stating the facts about the neighborhood and the vibe it illicits for one when walking in the vicinity. Once again, being a realist and keeping it real. Not arguing at all. Just clearing the air.

Here is a double entendre for you. It's hard for people who are use to having filet mignon and caviar for dinner to all of a sudden switch and have Burger King and McDonalds.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,809 times
Q41apartments all your comments are negative as was said before and actually quite ridiculous they even seem racists. I really hope you don't get the apartment, you would be a horror.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:22 AM

23 posts, read 60,443 times
Everyone, please simmer down.

This is a forum. A forum is a platform where people can ask questions. Lots of them. New York City, as a whole, is a horror to deal with for housing. If we had it great, and had plenty of spare time to do all sorts of geographic and demographic research, we wouldn't be applying to housing lotteries.

I will offer my own story as your Exhibit A: I just moved a few blocks from the Q41 area, in the actual NICE part of town, to an apartment in an "upscale" part of Brooklyn. We left because we had a fire in our building last year, and overall, we needed a better situation, anyway. We found an affordable apartment on the edge of the neighborhood we were coveting, with everything a short 5-minute walk away.

So we're in this new apartment. The building is 10 years new. Our apartment has loft ceilings. Dishwasher. Laundry in building. All the neighbors are nice. And everyone lives in a duplex -- yes, that is two floors of apartment. And the clincher? You have the BEST schools in the area, in probably all of New York City. That includes elementary school, middle and high schools. Should be a no brainer, right?

Three weeks in and my throat and nose are BURNING. Why? I have since learned (thank you, Councilmember Lander's Chief of Staff) that we live LITERALLY a short walk away from an EPA Superfund Priority site. If that doesn't mean anything to you, it should. You are in the most polluted area in the UNITED STATES. That is what gets EPA Superfund Priority status.

And Erin Brockovich should be doing something on behalf of all the residents of this area right about now.

Chances are, everyone on this forum already has a roof over their head. So everyone, simmer down. It's not about your ego or who's holding who's spot. It's a Caveat Emptor process. Ask everything, and ask it again, BEFORE YOU MOVE IN.

For what it's worth: Q41 as an area should be okay, except that the crime-ridden Queensbridge Houses are nearby http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queensbridge,_Queens. When I say "crime-ridden" it is primarily drug crimes that involve guns. As a former Astoria resident, we would hear about trouble in the Queensbridge Houses every now and then.

That aside, Q41 is not a particularly good area if you want a social life on your immediate block, or are determined to get your child into a neighborhood school without participating in a lottery process. My friends in the area homeschool their kids. The public schools near Vernon, also, have AREA ZONE APPLICANTS on waitlist. It is not pretty. So know that you are a pioneer to the area and if you DO get a lease, you will get a great commute to Manhattan. The rest is community building that is up to you, if you want it on your block.

The Q41 building from the subway train does look beautiful. I hope the new Q41 residents can post some stealth photos on here.

Caveat emptor. Ask everything.

Peace.

Last edited by thechelseahotel; 05-07-2014 at 11:53 AM..

Old 05-07-2014, 11:56 AM

TheChelseaHotel: I appreciate you defending me. You took your time to write a lengthy response and it was insightful and much appreciated. I am sorry to hear about your experience in Brooklyn Heights. That is also the IT area to be at this time and it's ridiculously over priced for no reason. The people I know who lived in the area before it was cleaned up, we're all offended how posh their old neighborhood has become and a lot don't have the money to spend on the social life and scene of what BH has become.

My comments on some level were meant to be silly and funny. If you knew me, you'd laugh at all the ridiculous nonsense that comes flying out. Everyone knows NYC is the most segregated city in the world. For example, let's use Manhattan. If you're Caucasian you live on 88th and Broadway and below. If you're a minority you live in the 90's and all the way up to Inwood. Also, the rents are always cheaper the higher up town one gets. Why is that? Is because living with minorities are cheaper or because ones life is in danger while living in a Caucasian neighborhood, ones life isn't in danger? So these are some of the things people need to do and step back to really evaluate the scenario at hand. I don't think people factor these variables into their equation or assessment. Lets also use the section 8 apartments one block from Q41. Why did the city put that there years ago and then all of a sudden decide 50 years later to build up LIC? Why put a section 8 apartment complex is such a secluded area for all these decades? Is the city, or society trying to tell people that only savages that make under 25K a year should be kept away from the rest of society? Just ponder on these things for a few seconds.

Anyways, the lottery is a nice thing. If any stranger were to walk off the street and show interest in a studio in any of the new high rises in LIC, or Astoria, it would be about $1,700.00 to $1,800.00 just for a studio. Lets not even get into the 1 bedroom prices and some even try to sell an alcove studio to potential tenants over the 1 bedroom. A lot of people just don't have the luxury of spending that kind of money on rent. And if they do, there isn't much else left over to live, eat, or shop.

LIC is the IT area of the moment. Any place next to Manhattan always has been. Once the area is cleaned up, it'll be more exciting and I'm sure the malls and stores will start popping up. At the same time, it makes me sad when the city tries to clean up a neighborhood because they are basically tell everyone that if you don't meet the salary requirements, you are deemed unworthy and need to move. This is what I mean by middle class always gets punished. My point is, NYC is very expensive. If this went through, I'd be very thankful (of course only for the lowered price units).

Last edited by q41apartments; 05-07-2014 at 12:43 PM..

Old 05-07-2014, 12:06 PM

11 posts, read 19,580 times
Has anyone moved into the higher rate studio apartments? If so, do you feel the space is worth the money? This is my first apartment alone and the size of the space from the floor plans worry me. But it would cut my commute in half which I would love! Torn

Old 05-07-2014, 12:48 PM

I totally agree with you. That has been one of my questions as well because nobody has posted pictures of the apartment units inside. I go this Friday, but I'm not sure if they'll even show me a unit or just collect paper work. I don't even know if all 108 units are occupied or not yet.

It's a tough toss up. You are 1 stop from Manhattan if you take the N or Q train and 3 stops if you take the 7. Tough decision and I concur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery