Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 09:43 AM

5 posts, read 11,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmeg_ View Post
I don't know about the lower units being smaller. But we were approved for the more expensive 2 bedroom and only had the choice of floors 8-15. we personally chose higher because we liked the view. Yes depending on where you currently live it might be tough to give location for a smaller space. For us it was the extra bedroom and also having everything be new. We have a lot of issues with plumbing, electric, etc in our current place.
Also our process was: handed in paperwork in November, heard back in beginning of February and had to bring in more paper work. After a lot of back and forth with paperwork, it seemed each week they needed something new to bring to them. We were called to sign the lease in the end of march and signed it on the 28th and move in end of April. We did not have any issue with moving dates we are moving on a weekend we do have set hours between 1-5 but since there is no freight elevator and I am sure other people moving that makes sense to me and is doable.
nutmeg_ - What was your log number?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 07:32 AM

2 posts, read 5,105 times
hi PureGrace,
I do not remember out log number but we are community board members.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:11 AM

3 posts, read 7,493 times
For those curious, if you look on the website now they've added the floor plans for 04/05th floors. Useful for comparing the floor plans to compare the apartments between lower/upper floors. The upper floor 1BRs probably *feel* larger but I'm guessing more in perception than reality thanks to the layout and the extra 20 sq feet.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:03 PM

483 posts, read 692,636 times
Good intel, thanks, I think I saw 4J in person, and I don't have to guess that for a studio I must have seen 4C, as it's the only studio on the floor, lol. I think you've also discovered why they're hotly looking for occupants for the 2-bdrs, as the bulk listed here appear to be 2-bdr., which is not the case on the upper floors - in fact, I want to say that floors 6-15 only have two 2-bdrs. apiece, though I haven't re-checked my stats. Which is probably the cleverest way to get out of the problem of people potentially not wanting to live on lower floors - give 'em more space.

I hope we find out if they're compiling waitlist people, it's not looking too good for first-run rental for a singleton otherwise.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:45 PM

11 posts, read 23,767 times
Yes I don't think it's looking too good for applicants waiting to hear back for studios.
I submitted my paperwork on Wed 3/26.
Credit report was pulled on Wed 4/2.
Spoke to someone on the phone on Wed 4/9. They didn't have any update at all - just that they're still processing applications from that week.

Last edited by amjimmy; 04-14-2014 at 05:04 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 08:59 PM

19 posts, read 42,635 times
Default still waiting

Hi there,
Is there anybody here with paperwork done back in oct/nov that is still waiting for response?
this is my situation:
i was informed that I am selected at the beginning of Oct…filled documents at the end of Oct… they viewed my credit history in Nov and in Feb again…log number 509…called to choose apartment at very beginning of Jan… and since then was waiting just to sigh the lease since everything else was done..calling the office every week & getting the answers of different sort …"yes you are at the top of the list with such number"… " we started with families of 3 & 4"… " most likely you are for March 1st ,…April 1st… moving dates"… and last week I was told " still pending and unite you assigned for is not taken"…
…and today " sorry you will get an answer in mail there is no more units"….nothing makes sense …giving me impressions like something shady is going on there…. is anybody having similar experience in this process, please share.
Thanks.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:40 PM

483 posts, read 692,636 times
I'd consider calling HPD (which may be part of the 311 system) and asking for an explanation from their end. It seems like a single potential renter deserves their own specific answer as to why they were rejected.

It sounds from the way you describe the progression of answers you got, like they overbooked with a pool of potentials and put you in competition with each other, looking for the person whose income and credit they liked best to take each unit - I particularly think so because you mention they pulled your credit twice. Which could be fairly standard, not trying to say it's definitely wrongsauce, maybe the city makes them reconfirm but that's the part that seems wrong to me. When you signed off on the floor plan, was there anything indicating it belonged to a particular apartment floor and number? Having signed a floor plan at least once in the 90s myself, I remember to this day looking at it and thinking "this is no guarantee that I have a particular apartment, not like it says 12E or whatever. This is just saying I agree to live in a place with this size and layout." and sure enough, to this day I never heard from that lottery again after I got told "you're on the backup list" (whatever that may be; at this point I was so exhausted by the process I took never hearing from them again as a sign of divine Providence). I really think that's all the floor plan does or guarantees, and is CYA for management so that you can't turn around on move-in day and complain that your place is too small, but I also look at these things with the same suspicion I would apply to a NYC realtor's ad.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:30 PM

Hm …everything really seems to me like dirty work overall…
yes i signed floor plan for particular apartment 5 D and ladies from the office confirmed that to me and wrote my name on that piece of paper with floor plan on it…
i was calling that office every single week for updates on move in date since mid december….first have been told that lease will be ready by 31st of january for move in on Feb…then not ready in March…then first families of 3 and 4 …i was told I am approved back in December with "very good number 509"… and whoop 2 weeks ago " o you know we need to tell you that your application is pending" new lady voice in office ( also "very nice "and "professional attitude")… then last week I've been told that "seems like an error because the entire group ( first group of applicants including me) is still pending"…
and this Tue I called " we are very sorry seems like you are rejected and will get a letter in mail"…it was shocking for me!!!
I am within income range ( even qualifying for few different units) , great credit score as well, live in Astoria for over 10 years. family of 2
no experience with such process before.
City is making decisions on this? What is a roll of management office in this case? My impression was that something was mishandled or non fair processes are going on there.
Thank you

Old 04-16-2014, 09:37 PM

and btw after they told me last week that I am still pending , I have asked if apartment 5D I was assigned is taken and the answer was NO at the first place and then statement " seems like there is no more availability"….
Thanks

Old 04-18-2014, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,789 times
Going to sign our lease on 13D Wednesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery