Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 12:50 PM

3 posts, read 7,493 times

Advertisements

I just got a call yesterday asking me if I wished to continue the process. Ironically they called while I was waiting for an interview elsewhere. I have notified them that I am not interested, which means one more 1BR may have opened up.

Good luck everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 01:00 PM

483 posts, read 692,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apt5d View Post
Hm …everything really seems to me like dirty work overall…
yes i signed floor plan for particular apartment 5 D and ladies from the office confirmed that to me and wrote my name on that piece of paper with floor plan on it…
i was calling that office every single week for updates on move in date since mid december….first have been told that lease will be ready by 31st of january for move in on Feb…then not ready in March…then first families of 3 and 4 …i was told I am approved back in December with "very good number 509"… and whoop 2 weeks ago " o you know we need to tell you that your application is pending" new lady voice in office ( also "very nice "and "professional attitude")… then last week I've been told that "seems like an error because the entire group ( first group of applicants including me) is still pending"…
and this Tue I called " we are very sorry seems like you are rejected and will get a letter in mail"…it was shocking for me!!!
I am within income range ( even qualifying for few different units) , great credit score as well, live in Astoria for over 10 years. family of 2
no experience with such process before.
City is making decisions on this? What is a roll of management office in this case? My impression was that something was mishandled or non fair processes are going on there.
Thank you
Well it seems both good and ironic that you signed a floor plan stating it was for an actual particular apartment, but it's NG that you then got told you didn't qualify. Once you get that letter in hand, if anything about it seems unclear or bogus I'd definitely call HPD. I don't know what they do for an "appeals process" or how to start it, unfortunately, but I know they have one. Good luck, I know it's frustrating, there are so many potential places in the process at which to get rejected.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:10 PM

13 posts, read 39,494 times
This whole process is disgusting. For example...
I was approved for a lower rent 2BR apartment; was the first one to sign the floor plan, 8D on 1/4/14
Nonetheless, never got a phone call back; I called over and over again, they kept b****ting me that the lease signing is pending. Finally, I had to call early April just so they tell me that they gave priority to 3 member families with larger log number and no priorities. They asked if I was interested in a higher rent 2BR and declined. Was called yesterday morning and was told that they are willing to give me a higher rent 2BR apt for the price of a higher rent 1BR, but would have to go through the whole paperwork process.
NO THANK YOU, DECLINED. Those apartments are not worth paying over $1700. They are beyond tiny and the finishes are decent. Paying over $1800 for 550 square feet in a sketchy area of LIC and having the hassle of waiting and being jerked around by incompetent people isn't worth it. They were trying so hard to sell me on signing the floor plan, which doesn't mean anything apparently because you aren't guaranteed it. So anyone interested in a 1BR higher rent apt its all yours.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:23 PM

19 posts, read 42,635 times
Hi,
Hmmm seems that we were in same group signing the floor plans. All you wrote that happened afterwards seems similar. At certain point , about 2 weeks ago , in over phone conversation with office they mentioned to me that some kind of error happened with paper work of entire group we were in. I assigned 5D ( on Jan 2nd) , lower 2 bd, but last update they gave me ( this Tue) was that I was rejected (really after more than 5 months of keeping me waiting for move in date) and to wait for letter in mail with ( supposedly ) explanation and reasons. They went twice in my credit history. seems like complete mess !

Old 04-18-2014, 05:27 PM

Thank you.
Certainly ,I am even thinking to go personally with that letter to HPD.
Now it is big question when that letter will arrive , since they said it has been sent last week and nothing arrived yet! Makes me think it has been sent from overseas )).
Nice weekend to everybody!

Old 04-18-2014, 05:29 PM

Hi,
Have they informed you about lease signing in mail or over the phone? And how long ago?
Thanks

Old 04-19-2014, 06:46 AM

3 posts, read 6,795 times
Planning to move in end of this month, but I getting a run around in getting a copy of the lease I signed. Did anyone received the same experience?

Old 04-19-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomalix View Post
This whole process is disgusting. For example...
I was approved for a lower rent 2BR apartment; was the first one to sign the floor plan, 8D on 1/4/14
Nonetheless, never got a phone call back; I called over and over again, they kept b****ting me that the lease signing is pending. Finally, I had to call early April just so they tell me that they gave priority to 3 member families with larger log number and no priorities. They asked if I was interested in a higher rent 2BR and declined. Was called yesterday morning and was told that they are willing to give me a higher rent 2BR apt for the price of a higher rent 1BR, but would have to go through the whole paperwork process.
NO THANK YOU, DECLINED. Those apartments are not worth paying over $1700. They are beyond tiny and the finishes are decent. Paying over $1800 for 550 square feet in a sketchy area of LIC and having the hassle of waiting and being jerked around by incompetent people isn't worth it. They were trying so hard to sell me on signing the floor plan, which doesn't mean anything apparently because you aren't guaranteed it. So anyone interested in a 1BR higher rent apt its all yours.
Now that definitely doesn't sound right, I qualify in both income levels for 1-bdr. but was only considered for the higher (story of my life) and it strikes me that regardless of that, the quota is a quota. They should have a specific number of apartments set aside for a specific household composition in a specific preference category and income range within their records, even if they can't tell the tenants I think they should know this information for HPD. And they definitely shouldn't be kicking out people with preferences (which I'm assuming you have since you mentioned the lack of any for the 3-member family), in order to make room for the gen pop. It's good to know that people who qualify can and might actually be considered for both rent ranges at the same time, though, I always wondered who took a look at mine and decided I was a sucker who could afford to plunk down 45%+ of my take-home on "affordable" rent, so I thank you for sharing the frustrating story.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:41 PM

13 posts, read 39,494 times
Misskity:
I just don't understand why if I was #2 on the list of 3 for the lower 2BR apartments they would not grant me the lease because people with 3 and 4 family members showed up with higher log numbers not to mention I had C.B. and M.E. preferences; forking over $2200 for an apartment that is less than 800 square feet in a part of LIC that isn't modernized isn't that "affordable"; but thats my perspective; then for them to call me and try to persuade me to take over the higher rent 2BR and rushing me to go sign the lease for that is pretty pathetic; obviously, those higher rents aren't being signed over that easily, hence why they are continuing interviews for them till this day.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:54 PM

I don't understand why either, and depending on how much fuss you wanted to make you could probably likewise ask HPD to explain this result. By any logic having 2 preferences should literally be like, well, winning the lottery. I wonder if they discovered after the fact that preference categories, even general, have to be spread geographically throughout the building and can't all be fitted into the least desirable lower floors. Because if they filled all the percentages, I don't think you'd touch the general preferences until you were filling Floors 1-2. Which could all be perfectly aboveboard for all I know, but it also seems a bit like a double preference, and you would think the purpose of the preference would be priority getting in the door, not highest floor.

And LIC natives polled agreed that touting it as "affordable" housing was ridiculous:

‘Affordable’ housing in Long Island City? Many residents say ‘not at all!’ | PIX 11

If they want you to be a pioneer, they need to be offering some pioneer prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery