Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2015, 03:44 PM

272 posts, read 534,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
City Dweller - I agree. The low income ones that get a 5% increase means nothing if the rent is $500.00 versus 5% for someone who is paying 3K in rent. I think the low income ones are subject to more intense rules. From the fine print, i think it mentions that pay stubs and W2 forms are required annually and rents will be adjusted based on income. I recall reading that someone on the HPS website, but don't quote me.

The middle income one will probably be less strict since 3K isn't exactly cheap.
I agree about the lower income. It says it in their FAQ. It's like anything else. If you are on a pretty much fixed income then it's just a matter of learning what they expect every year, sucking it up and making the best of the process.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:16 PM

170 posts, read 315,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_Dweller_007 View Post
Here's the thing about being rent stabilized. If your rent is low and you get an increase, say 5% from the rent guidelines board, your landlord is going to raise your rent 5% unless there is some overwhelming reason why he can't. If your rent is low then 5% of nothing is still nothing. But if your rent is high then 5% is most likely more than the raise someone at market rent will get. So pretty soon you are paying maybe even more than some people are paying market rent. Yeah, it sounds ridiculous I know. I'm speaking from experience.
Frankly if you are willing to pay what they are charging for the middle income you could live in other places in Queens for less and get a bigger place. Yeah your appliances may not all be new but your apartment could be much bigger AND you may have much better transportation choices than the #7 line.
Honestly, I would welcome a 5% increase. At least you have the sense that the rent guidelines board will be fair. This year, they've only designated a 1% increase. My landlord just showed us our new lease, and he's asking for 20% more. That's just not sustainable over the long run for us. If we pay it this time, what will he ask for next time? It really gives you no sense of stability, and makes it impossible for your apartment to feel like home, because you're always wondering if this is the year you're going to get priced out.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by croquemme View Post
Honestly, I would welcome a 5% increase. At least you have the sense that the rent guidelines board will be fair. This year, they've only designated a 1% increase. My landlord just showed us our new lease, and he's asking for 20% more. That's just not sustainable over the long run for us. If we pay it this time, what will he ask for next time? It really gives you no sense of stability, and makes it impossible for your apartment to feel like home, because you're always wondering if this is the year you're going to get priced out.
I hear where you are coming from but believe me when I say that the rent guidelines board is not on your side. Eventually there will be a limit to what market rent can be and it may even go down but rent stabilized won't. In my building apartments at market rent often rent for $400-500 cheaper the first year because they can't rent them any other way. Then when the lease renews they jack it way up. Most people leave but some stay. The place is a revolving door. I stay because I am stabilized and it just doesn't pay to move until the rent is much lower.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:25 PM

Has anyone heard something from them yet? Now that it's February there should be some activity on the application process front.
Thanks.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:35 PM

913 posts, read 2,274,133 times
Nothing but that automated email. Are they even finished?

The 1st winner can't even move in if it's not finished yet.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:42 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,884,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
Nothing but that automated email. Are they even finished?

The 1st winner can't even move in if it's not finished yet.
I was walking by there a few weeks ago. The place was dark and empty (the exterior looked completed for the most part). I would give it 1-2 months before they finish the interior.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I was walking by there a few weeks ago. The place was dark and empty (the exterior looked completed for the most part). I would give it 1-2 months before they finish the interior.
They're not gonna' wait until it's finished to continue applications being processed. People may be signing leases w/o seeing the actual apartments because they aren't completed yet. They are going to want people in there ASAP. Can you imagine the nightmare of moving in on the same day as loads of others?

Old 02-04-2015, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,732 times
I’ve been reading this thread ever since I got my log # and decided I should participate. My log number is in the 1700’s, I live in queens but don’t have community preference so I hope my number is enough to get me to the next phase.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:26 PM

28 posts, read 53,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qhelns View Post
I’ve been reading this thread ever since I got my log # and decided I should participate. My log number is in the 1700’s, I live in queens but don’t have community preference so I hope my number is enough to get me to the next phase.
So we have two people below 2000 now on forum, I wish there is somebody under 1000 on forum so we find out when first postcards are sent.

Question for everybody that participated in previous lotteries, do they announce when they send out postcards and start interviewing people or did you find that out from others on forum?

Old 02-04-2015, 03:10 PM

168 posts, read 349,684 times
I applied on a whim… Log #584
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery