Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 06:46 PM

170 posts, read 315,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydoll7304 View Post
Let's hope not! I was told I could tour a model apartment as soon as it was ready. Signing a lease without actually seeing the apartment is a huge deal, and I would really like to see it soon and be able to take measurements. I'm hoping they will send the lease by end of April, since I saw that they told someone they should be receiving by end of the month. Here's hoping!!!
Yes, it definitely requires a leap of faith, taking an apartment sight unseen. But for the sake of my sanity, I'm trying not to worry too much before they give me cause to.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:10 AM

292 posts, read 703,382 times
Do anyone have any updates?

Old 04-22-2015, 08:30 PM

18 posts, read 34,725 times
I got a call today to come in. I was given 2 studio floor plans to choose from and was shown a sample unit in the other building. I have to let them know by tomorrow if I want one of the apartments I've never seen for a May 22 move-in date. I just signed a lease for a place in Brooklyn May 1 thinking it would be months before they would get back to me based on my last communication with them. So frustrating! But, having lived on the waterfront for the previous 5 years, I'm thrilled to get the apartment and be able to enjoy the park this summer. Just wish they didn't wreak such utter havoc on your life with their bizarre timing!

Old 04-22-2015, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,149 times
Default HPS Bad Credit

So I get the letter 4/9/15 saying to schedule consultation for HPS soon or application could be cancelled. Call and give file number to receptionist, then transfers me to "my" agent. Agent does not sound too informed and says that he will email credit check paperwork to sign, scan and send back first. I don't receive email for days and I call and leave messages during this time. Finally get in touch only days before deadline and agent only offers a "hmm, thought i sent it..." Says he will and I get and email from his assistant saying to email all paperwork (tax, w2, ID pay stub, etc). Get email couple days later saying nothing except that I need a guarantor who makes 75x the rent.

When I call to ask why?, I am told it's my credit. I'm not told what my credit score is or what score they are looking for but told simply, "it's not high enough and need 75x guarantor with good credit. Income is well over 100k and I need 75x rent? Then told that they can't even tell me what the rent would be. Finally, after being persistent and patient I was given a "rent range." This range would make the guarantor need to have 220k+

What is affordable about that? Parents are not around. Why do you think I am applying for "affordable" housing in the first place?

Checked credit and "newtotheforum" is absolutely right. That Saferent place ran the check and my FiCo is close to 700 but obviously they are saying it is way less.

Can appeal but don't even know how. The 500 credit thing only applies to low income. Who knows what score you need for the affordable - Related is running this show, not NYCHA.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:29 AM

Wow, that sucks, I mean, I know don't know what they are doing. Congrats to mmarvelon and sorry to hear that, affordable75x. I feel everyday is a different rule with them. I haven't heard anything from them in regards to my application. For some reason, I have a feeling I won't get a call its been exactly two months, a little over now. So it is the what it is but I guess I'm still curious about the process and if others get the opportunity. That's crazy tho; with the guarantor making 220k. I mean, gosh.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:13 AM

15 posts, read 38,840 times
I am very confused about the need for a guarantor. The city has set very specific brackets for salary requirements for each apartment. Why would a person within their required salary range, with good credit, require a guarantor? Doesn't this defeat the entire purpose of the income guidelines set for each apartment?

Old 04-23-2015, 11:17 AM

200 posts, read 374,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNYC2 View Post
I am very confused about the need for a guarantor. The city has set very specific brackets for salary requirements for each apartment. Why would a person within their required salary range, with good credit, require a guarantor? Doesn't this defeat the entire purpose of the income guidelines set for each apartment?
Guidelines are only for income to see if you qualify - not if you are credit worthy. You could make a ton of money but still be a liability because u gamble your money or if you have a bad history of paying credit cards back. While the people's FIcO scores seem good, it seems to be the saferent credit score that is used to determine whether a guarantor is required.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:26 PM

18 posts, read 34,725 times
That totally stinks, affordable75x. You should definitely try to appeal.

Nyalltheway, I wouldn't give up. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to how this works and everyone's case is a llittle different (preferences, log number, credit, size of unit availability, etc.)

I'm devastated because I probably can't take the apartment because apparently I can't get out of the lease I just signed. I can't believe they are saying May 22 or nothing. It's horrible.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:12 PM

19 posts, read 36,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edl1572 View Post
I've had luck getting through to an actual person between 2 and 5 pm. Twice this week and once last week. I've given up trying in the mornings, no one picks up.
I just called and someone answered but she told me she could not give any updates and that I would be contacted via email.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarvelon View Post
That totally stinks, affordable75x. You should definitely try to appeal.

Nyalltheway, I wouldn't give up. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to how this works and everyone's case is a llittle different (preferences, log number, credit, size of unit availability, etc.)

I'm devastated because I probably can't take the apartment because apparently I can't get out of the lease I just signed. I can't believe they are saying May 22 or nothing. It's horrible.
Thanks, mmarvelon! I will try to keep hope alive. I know they are swamped but I did leave a message for my coordinator last week and she never returned my call but we shall see. Hopefully I will get a "sign" lol (via email or snail mail)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery