Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 02:24 PM

200 posts, read 374,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarvelon View Post
That totally stinks, affordable75x. You should definitely try to appeal.

Nyalltheway, I wouldn't give up. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to how this works and everyone's case is a llittle different (preferences, log number, credit, size of unit availability, etc.)

I'm devastated because I probably can't take the apartment because apparently I can't get out of the lease I just signed. I can't believe they are saying May 22 or nothing. It's horrible.

Can't you just sublet your other apartment?

Old 04-23-2015, 02:26 PM

292 posts, read 703,457 times
Quote:
That totally stinks, affordable75x. You should definitely try to appeal.

Nyalltheway, I wouldn't give up. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to how this works and everyone's case is a llittle different (preferences, log number, credit, size of unit availability, etc.)

I'm devastated because I probably can't take the apartment because apparently I can't get out of the lease I just signed. I can't believe they are saying May 22 or nothing. It's horrible.
You can't get out of the lease? Really, how come and on what grounds the landlord says you can't do it? I did not know that. I thought either parties have the right to terminate a lease.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:28 PM

292 posts, read 703,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEKNEES View Post
I just called and someone answered but she told me she could not give any updates and that I would be contacted via email.

That's good you got a human instead of a machine, lol. Maybe they are tracking my number and don't pick up when I call, lol.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:48 PM

18 posts, read 34,729 times
The broker said I was responsible for paying the lease until it was re-rented and that I couldn't have any of the money I already laid out refunded. I think I'm going to go ahead and take possession of the apartment and try to find a person to assume my portion of the lease (complicated because I have a roommate that won't be living with me).

Old 04-24-2015, 05:44 AM

Quote:
The broker said I was responsible for paying the lease until it was re-rented and that I couldn't have any of the money I already laid out refunded. I think I'm going to go ahead and take possession of the apartment and try to find a person to assume my portion of the lease (complicated because I have a roommate that won't be living with me).

That sucks. You should see what you can do about having someone sublease or take over your rent. I can't believe it's a take it or leave it. Good luck!!

Old 04-24-2015, 11:57 AM

8 posts, read 12,862 times
Hi everyone,

Like a lot of you here, I am waiting on the results of my interview. I got the letter early April, did the interview the week after, and now I'm just wondering around forums lol.

In case you guys have not seen the inside of the apartments or the amazing views, here are some links that can help:

http://queens.brownstoner.com/2014/12/a-behind-the-scenes-tour-of-construction-at-hunters-point-south/

http://ny.curbed.com/tags/related-companies
(half way down the page click on .....Go Inside Hunters Point South's In-Progress Affordable Units)

Last edited by bleurainsan; 04-24-2015 at 12:13 PM..

Old 04-24-2015, 12:27 PM

218 posts, read 473,485 times
I am also waiting for a reply. My number is in the high 70,000 and I was contacted via e-mail to hand in paper work. I handed in the paper work 9 days ago and tried to e-mail the agent back to ask if I was missing any paper work but received no response yet. When I called the office on a Sunday the receptionist said they received my paper work and allow the agent 2 weeks to review. I guess this will be a waiting game.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:09 PM

18 posts, read 34,729 times
To those of you that already signed a lease - did you only get a choice of two units and did you have to just decide based on floor plans?

Old 04-24-2015, 05:16 PM

5 posts, read 12,152 times
Just a quick update for anyone who may be in a similar situation. I've spent the last 2 weeks trying to get someone at HPS to explain to me why I received a rejection letter for not sending in all my necessary documents. I tried to point out that I, in fact, did send all requested documents, but all they could tell me is that I have to go through the appeal process. I finally gave in and submitted my appeal, only to be told that due to the high number of applicants appealing their cases, it could take up to 2 months to hear back from them. Given the sheer number of applicants, I don't think I'll have much of a chance 2 months from now. To say I'm frustrated is an understatement, especially since I did everything correctly to begin with. If anyone has any experience with the appeal process, I'd love to hear about it. Thank you.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
To those of you that already signed a lease - did you only get a choice of two units and did you have to just decide based on floor plans?

We were given floor plans of units available and shown only a model apartment that had a different layout and shown only for the purposes of finishes, etc. so yes, we signed only based on floor plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery