Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 08:38 PM

154 posts, read 288,528 times

Advertisements

Btw I have no preferences. Isn't it crazy that they're up to nearly 90,000 in the log numbers?!

Old 08-12-2015, 08:44 PM

50 posts, read 68,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetfairy View Post
They gave me two options, I picked the bigger place, better view with walk in closet. Didn't get a choice on floor though. I've attached a few pics, first time uploading hope it goes through!
What is that fence there for?

Old 08-12-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybloom View Post
Btw I have no preferences. Isn't it crazy that they're up to nearly 90,000 in the log numbers?!
Guess they're having trouble finding people who can afford $3300...

Old 08-12-2015, 09:38 PM

101 posts, read 159,530 times
violetfairy, the place is beautiful, congratulations!

Old 08-12-2015, 09:44 PM

457 posts, read 737,462 times
You're giving way too much credit if you think they went through 90,000 applicants because they didn't. They elected people at random and didn't go numerical order.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:02 PM

69 posts, read 108,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetfairy View Post
They gave me two options, I picked the bigger place, better view with walk in closet. Didn't get a choice on floor though. I've attached a few pics, first time uploading hope it goes through!
if you dont mind me asking what is the square footage of your apartment?

Old 08-12-2015, 11:20 PM

457 posts, read 737,462 times
EileenandHerbie,

Of course they're having issues finding tenants that will agree to pay 3,300.00. If an applicant can afford an apartment at that price point, they really don't need this lottery because it doesn't seem like a true deal. The applicant who can afford that can live in a luxury building where there isn't a wide variety of different incomes. It'll be a full blown white glove building and there won't be any tension amongst the different classes. That's the problem with NYC is the wide disparity among the classes and income. It creates unnecessary tension.

Does that tenant want to pay 3,300 and know his neighbors aren't on par with him or move into a building where people don't have issues paying 5K in rent? If his neighbors can spend that on rent, he'll have the comfort of knowing his neighbors have a similar background, with the same values and education as him. Those are always the trade offs. Sometimes co-mingling can create unnecessary tension.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:53 PM

163 posts, read 271,516 times
Arg that studio looks beautiful, I need to stop coming on here until I'm farther along in the process cuz it's hard to see what I'm SOOO CLOSE TO!

And and I'm sure they didn't INTERVIEW everyone up to 90K, but I do have to believe they're going in order...first of all, there's probably some rule about determining eligibility right off the bat...since the NYC HOUSING CONNECT makes it so easy to click apply, there's probably thousands of people who aren't even close to any of the brackets. And there's probably a rule about how close you have to be to warrant a closer look. And also, going in order within the categories will create huge jumps...it's not hard to believe that they have to go through a few thousand people before they find someone is single, wants a studio, is low income, is community board preference, still falls within the bracket, still even wants a unit, etc...

Old 08-13-2015, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLotteryGurl View Post
EileenandHerbie,

Of course they're having issues finding tenants that will agree to pay 3,300.00. If an applicant can afford an apartment at that price point, they really don't need this lottery because it doesn't seem like a true deal. The applicant who can afford that can live in a luxury building where there isn't a wide variety of different incomes. It'll be a full blown white glove building and there won't be any tension amongst the different classes. That's the problem with NYC is the wide disparity among the classes and income. It creates unnecessary tension.

Does that tenant want to pay 3,300 and know his neighbors aren't on par with him or move into a building where people don't have issues paying 5K in rent? If his neighbors can spend that on rent, he'll have the comfort of knowing his neighbors have a similar background, with the same values and education as him. Those are always the trade offs. Sometimes co-mingling can create unnecessary tension.
Is that what you're finding where you live now I.e. The pot smokers on the fourth floor etc? You know, though, that a 2 bedroom usually goes for more than $$3300 in a building with these kind of amenities. I live in a doorman bldg in Manhattan in a studio but want a one bedroom..price is the same.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:08 AM

357 posts, read 657,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybloom View Post
I got an email today asking for my paperwork and and interview. We only qualify for a $3300 2-bedroom, which is $800 more than we currently pay. Alas, it makes no sense for us to take it. Log # is in the high 87,000s!
Cool...let us know how it goes. You are also in the running for a Navy Green condo right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery