Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 08:01 PM

107 posts, read 246,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weddy00 View Post
I want to know if there are people who actually got an apartment without being in a preferred group. Is there any of you out there??????????????
My experience left me with a bad taste in my mouth and mistrust . Without going into too many details (and I do not want to share more than I do here, now), I will say that, if you are on commission based salary, and if it's not the same amount weekly, is a headache they don't want to deal with. I've maintain my commission as constant as I possible could, anyway, once they decided I make too much, so later to change everything and disregard all my commission from sales and calculate a yearly salary based strictly on the hourly pay, so they can disqualify me. So, from too much, to too little, just like that. The amount they came up per year is closed to what I've made so far until now, but this is what happen when one person get to decide your faith. Same person who actuality said I make too much in commission , now is reducing to a 3rd of initial estimate. It drives me banana and makes me wonder....is there e a system in place, or just a broken one?
I don't mean to discourage any of you, but be cautious! It's chaotic.
]Yes they are bad as hell.
Someone, really rude and unfriendly call me to provide more documents (self employed),
When he called I said, hello how are you and his answer was "fine".
He said Im still waiting for this and that, I said you never asked me for this and that... he said I need prove of income, I said I have the W2, he said I need to know how you got to those number and he started to argue with me so I told him are you and accountant?

He told me do you have any prove how you got to the amount you declared? I said yes do you think that I lied to the IRS? Ive a business for 7 years what the hell does he think that I lied to the IRS just to get this apartment? he was such a jerk!
I already got an affordable housing before and my experience was much different then this one
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 07:59 PM

6 posts, read 9,155 times
Hi nychh,

I was curious if you ended up submitting documents to prove the amount you declared. I'm in a similar position where I'm self-employed. My first interview went well but I'm wondering if they're going to come back and ask to see receipts/invoices to show my expenses for this year or last year or the last three years. I'd be grateful for any advice or suggestions. You said you had affordable housing before - did you have to show documentation of your expenses for that apartment? Thanks!

Old 08-04-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-dreamer View Post
Hi nychh,

I was curious if you ended up submitting documents to prove the amount you declared. I'm in a similar position where I'm self-employed. My first interview went well but I'm wondering if they're going to come back and ask to see receipts/invoices to show my expenses for this year or last year or the last three years. I'd be grateful for any advice or suggestions. You said you had affordable housing before - did you have to show documentation of your expenses for that apartment? Thanks!
Yes I did have to show expenses / receipts for previous year and current year. I had to show all expenses and how I got to the net income, it wasnt that difficult (i dont lie ) its just a lot of paper works. BTW do you get a pay check? I dont I just have Schedule C

Old 08-04-2016, 07:05 PM

6 posts, read 9,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nychh View Post
Yes I did have to show expenses / receipts for previous year and current year. I had to show all expenses and how I got to the net income, it wasnt that difficult (i dont lie ) its just a lot of paper works. BTW do you get a pay check? I dont I just have Schedule C
Thanks so much for information. About half my income is with 1099s and the other half is with W2s. All of my work is sporadic freelance work. On my taxes I'm described as self employed. I brought my last six paystubs to the interview - the interviewer wasn't interested in seeing any of my cancelled pay checks or invoices from my 1099 jobs. I'm concerned I may have to scramble to locate all my expense receipts. I have this years but I don't think I kept last years Let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks!!

Old 08-04-2016, 07:11 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,899 times
^never throw out any financial documents before 7 years are up. duh

There's too much wiggle-room for fraud dealing with self-employed and freelancers. Unless you are diligent about keeping your financials in order, why WOULD they want to deal with that?

Sorry, im cranky and mad chary about the whole process too.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-dreamer View Post
Thanks so much for information. About half my income is with 1099s and the other half is with W2s. All of my work is sporadic freelance work. On my taxes I'm described as self employed. I brought my last six paystubs to the interview - the interviewer wasn't interested in seeing any of my cancelled pay checks or invoices from my 1099 jobs. I'm concerned I may have to scramble to locate all my expense receipts. I have this years but I don't think I kept last years Let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks!!
Your situation is different then mine, I do not get W2 and I dont get a paystubs . Im a full time self employed and all I have is whatever I declared on my schedule C so I totally understand why they were asking me to provide some kind proof of income. Anyone can say that he made X Y Z but they really need to see prove that what I declared I actually made it . I remember back in the days when I won the affordable housing, they asked me to provide all the receipts for the current year so they could project my income, your situation is totally fiffrent then mine cause you have paystubs.

I wish you good luck, will keep an update

Old 08-06-2016, 04:25 PM

38 posts, read 125,752 times
Has anyone successfully gone through the application process and moved in? I haven't heard anything since June

Old 08-06-2016, 06:58 PM

99 posts, read 168,622 times
Default VIA 80/20 question.

Question. The building, 625 W 57th St, the VIA is under NY Real Property Tax law "421-a" -- specifically, the 80/20 housing program. In a report compounded by the Clinton Housing Development company for community district (4) indicates that the tax abatement (tax free period for making it affordable) will expire in 35 years; Is this correct?

All I want to know is the time line of the abatement period, so I would know when it jumps into rent-stabilized mode. Pretty sure by the end of all the deadlines I will most likely stay since I love living near the river. By then i'm pretty sure our circumstances would've improved. Struggling at the moment until my mom gets a better living condition. Curious anyway.

Another thread on city-data states 15 years (compliance period) + an optional 15 ( extended use period) for a total of 30 years tax abatement.
-----
Sources:

(pages 4;69)

http://www.nyc.gov/html/mancb4/downl...%206.19.14.pdf

city-data thread:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...t-after-4.html

Last edited by Water_Nintendo64; 08-06-2016 at 07:40 PM..

Old 08-06-2016, 08:35 PM

99 posts, read 168,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancheto View Post
Has anyone successfully gone through the application process and moved in? I haven't heard anything since June
Yes, the whole hiatus ordeal has piqued my interest as well. I tried researching online and it could be a possibility the Landmark in-home theater could be delaying the process. Maybe? It is planned to open in the future. I'm just throwing a wild guess out there. Since I enjoy foreign animated films and Mark Cuban is my fav. shark tank co-host, i'm ok with this either way.

Landmark Theatres to Operate Multiplex at 709-Unit VIA 57 WEST, 625 West 57th Street, Hell's Kitchen - New York YIMBY

Old 08-07-2016, 11:46 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water_Nintendo64 View Post
Yes, the whole hiatus ordeal has piqued my interest as well. I tried researching online and it could be a possibility the Landmark in-home theater could be delaying the process. Maybe? It is planned to open in the future. I'm just throwing a wild guess out there. Since I enjoy foreign animated films and Mark Cuban is my fav. shark tank co-host, i'm ok with this either way.

Landmark Theatres to Operate Multiplex at 709-Unit VIA 57 WEST, 625 West 57th Street, Hell's Kitchen - New York YIMBY
Building a movie theater won't delay people living there. In fact it already has people living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery