Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2016, 02:45 PM

186 posts, read 264,378 times

Advertisements

Still just the waiting game like 461 Dean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 03:07 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,860,818 times
The problem with waiting this long is what happens when your current lease is up?!

Old 11-15-2016, 07:44 PM

45 posts, read 71,786 times
My mothers log # is 14XX with no preference. Her appointment is on the 29th. Does she have a decent shot ?

Last edited by LouRod87; 11-15-2016 at 08:00 PM..

Old 11-21-2016, 12:01 PM

44 posts, read 119,945 times
Hello Everyone!

Jumping in here. We have a low log number in the 800s with CB preference and already got the email and went in for the first interview. We brought in our entire life and still somehow needed more paperwork things that werent on the list but advised that we needed.

what I learned:

the Woman we met with advised that we should hopefully hear something back in approximately 2 months whether or not we are chosen to move forward possibly by letter but since we choose email as our preference of contact probably via email.

they are anticipating a move in date of March or April of 2017 and since they took so long with the Dean street lotto they are under some pressure to make this as efficient as possible.

If we get called in for the second interview that the chances of us landing the apartment are pretty good but nothing is for certain until the lease is signed and we move in!

We have our fingers crossed but know that even with a low log number nothing is for sure, we not just play the waiting game.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:58 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,530,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle.T View Post
Hello Everyone!

Jumping in here. We have a low log number in the 800s with CB preference and already got the email and went in for the first interview. We brought in our entire life and still somehow needed more paperwork things that werent on the list but advised that we needed.

what I learned:

the Woman we met with advised that we should hopefully hear something back in approximately 2 months whether or not we are chosen to move forward possibly by letter but since we choose email as our preference of contact probably via email.

they are anticipating a move in date of March or April of 2017 and since they took so long with the Dean street lotto they are under some pressure to make this as efficient as possible.

If we get called in for the second interview that the chances of us landing the apartment are pretty good but nothing is for certain until the lease is signed and we move in!

We have our fingers crossed but know that even with a low log number nothing is for sure, we not just play the waiting game.
What other information did they request?

Old 11-21-2016, 02:07 PM

7 posts, read 12,017 times
Thanks for starting up more conversation around the 535 Carlton lotto. I have an interview in a few days. I have a CB Pref and a super low number, however I'm pretty new to this lottery business and have a couple concerns:

1. Going for a 1-bedroom. Currently single, but dating. Of course I'll go through the process as a single person but if I end up getting serious with someone, will I be able to move them into this apt without going through a hassle with the management company? What if I start dating someone with more money than I have, will that get us kicked out of this building?

2. I read up on a similar building through this forum that opened this summer in the Bronx. It didn't have any market rate units (just like 535 Carlton) so it sounded like the building had non-responsive management and several people who won the lotto and moved in wanted to get out immediately and regretted the move. Within a couple months of moving in, they complained of gross laundry room conditions, trashed public spaces, and disrespectful neighbors. I have some fears about moving into a building that may be managed poorly like this because it's not a 80/20. Does anyone have reason to believe 535 Carlton will have better management?

Thanks for any ideas or responses!

Old 11-21-2016, 07:53 PM

33 posts, read 73,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddot555 View Post
Thanks for starting up more conversation around the 535 Carlton lotto. I have an interview in a few days. I have a CB Pref and a super low number, however I'm pretty new to this lottery business and have a couple concerns:

1. Going for a 1-bedroom. Currently single, but dating. Of course I'll go through the process as a single person but if I end up getting serious with someone, will I be able to move them into this apt without going through a hassle with the management company? What if I start dating someone with more money than I have, will that get us kicked out of this building?

2. I read up on a similar building through this forum that opened this summer in the Bronx. It didn't have any market rate units (just like 535 Carlton) so it sounded like the building had non-responsive management and several people who won the lotto and moved in wanted to get out immediately and regretted the move. Within a couple months of moving in, they complained of gross laundry room conditions, trashed public spaces, and disrespectful neighbors. I have some fears about moving into a building that may be managed poorly like this because it's not a 80/20. Does anyone have reason to believe 535 Carlton will have better management?

Thanks for any ideas or responses!
I know that area like the back of my hands, it will be nothing like what you experienced in the Bronx. Also more than 80% of the units are skewed towards people making $60,000- $150,000 so I'm pretty sure you won't have any issues with your neighbors and the building its self is brand spanking new with state of the art appliances by cook+fox architects. This building will feel like your in a 80/20 building even though it's 100% affordable because of the way they skewed most of the units towards the very top income brackets. I've heard some where they may have a poor door system in this building where they have the lowest paying renters be situated at the lower floors of the building as oppose to the highest renters living on the tops floors with better views of downtown Brooklyn.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:54 PM

oh!

Last edited by Aquarius37; 11-21-2016 at 08:10 PM..

Old 11-21-2016, 08:01 PM

good luck everyone in this thread. this whole entire process is grueling.

Last edited by Aquarius37; 11-21-2016 at 08:11 PM..

Old 11-22-2016, 10:07 AM

44 posts, read 119,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
What other information did they request?
They wanted a 1099, I didnt bring it because I stopped collecting unemployment early last year and we recently closed a bank account and they wanted proof that we recently closed our bank account and switched to another bank so we had to visit a branch to get a closing letter and bring that in as proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery