Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2017, 03:26 PM

9 posts, read 14,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopiaXi98 View Post
Just FYI - HDC has changed how they are allowing MHANY to calculate income.
I went for a preliminary interview in Oct/Nov and was found to be in Band 3.
Following my second interview at the end of April (where I had to update my expired paperwork) I was told of the calculation change and now fall in Band 5, even though my income dipped a bit from last year.
Finding this to be a bit ridiculous since it means I'd be paying more than 50% of my take home pay for an apartment I wouldn't even qualify for on the regular market because I don't make 40x the rent.
Not to mention they had already started filling apartments prior to this calculation change.
Has anyone else encountered this?
Is it just me or is there no logic to the order of this lottery?
I was called in to update my paperwork at the end of April because 6 months had passed since my preliminary interview and my "number was coming up." I went in to review everything and make sure that all was correct.
While in the office I was told that if nothing had changed, which it hadn't, I would be recalculated within 24 hours, my paperwork would be sent off to HDC for final approval and I should be able to view an apartment by the end of May.
As stated above, I was then told over email that HDC changed how they were allowed to calculate income and I was now in Band 5, instead of Band 3.
Band 5 is completely out of my price range, but I decided to follow up today just to see where things were at.
I was sent back a form letter that stated that there are too many qualified applicants ahead of me and not enough apartments. Which is the complete opposite of what I was told in the office at the end of April. Any thoughts on next steps?
I am 14xxx with CB preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 06:52 PM

74 posts, read 131,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBabe View Post
Is it a good sign that they asked for my updated docs? I sent those in last Monday, 6/5 and just wondering if I should have heard something by now or not.
Call and check in. I did that weekly till I signed my affidavits.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:57 PM

17 posts, read 32,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4567 View Post
Call and check in. I did that weekly till I signed my affidavits.
OK thanks! Will do!

Old 06-14-2017, 08:30 PM

21 posts, read 39,223 times
I am just going to advise everyone to stay on top of
These developers from the time the logs go out until your file is actually sent! Some of them do everything in their power not to get you approved so they can get to their friends and family logs! Even calculate your income incorrectly, send interview letters to the wrong address, ask for unnecessary verifications, try to process someone with a higher log number first, only take appeal letters through the mail and then when you mail it say they never received it, and blatantly lie! I have literally gone through every road block possible for one development and honestly I'm so stressed and discouraged from applying to any more affordable housing lotteries. ��

Old 06-15-2017, 06:27 AM

25 posts, read 27,203 times
You can contact HDC. I have contacted them before and it was very effective. I have not contacted them about 535 Carlton yet because I am giving them a chance to fix what I believe is their error. Challenge them and give them the chance. then, Make sure you have a strong case before complaining to HDC. Let them mess up. Document everything. Write down a log of your communications as you go. Name Title Date Time Content. This is so that HDC does not get frivolous complaints and they can concentrate on correcting the real wrongs and not waste time on complaints because people are upset they did not qualify but have no case. If it is not right you have to challenge it. Sometimes it is as simple as a person who is uniformed (or I hate to say negligent) taking your application. You can also contact HDC to get clarification and have them contact the developer to make sure they understand what they are doing. I had a question about what I was told and was unclear if it was correct and I contacted HDC and they cleared it up. It helps when you have details about the entity listed in a timely way. On ___ I had an interview with ___. On ___ my application was rejected because _____. On ___ I appealed the decision because ____. On ____ I spoke with ___ by phone and was told that _____. Make them tell HDC why your are in what band to make sure they are doing it right.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:09 AM

9 posts, read 14,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parisbraden View Post
You can contact HDC. I have contacted them before and it was very effective. I have not contacted them about 535 Carlton yet because I am giving them a chance to fix what I believe is their error. Challenge them and give them the chance. then, Make sure you have a strong case before complaining to HDC. Let them mess up. Document everything. Write down a log of your communications as you go. Name Title Date Time Content. This is so that HDC does not get frivolous complaints and they can concentrate on correcting the real wrongs and not waste time on complaints because people are upset they did not qualify but have no case. If it is not right you have to challenge it. Sometimes it is as simple as a person who is uniformed (or I hate to say negligent) taking your application. You can also contact HDC to get clarification and have them contact the developer to make sure they understand what they are doing. I had a question about what I was told and was unclear if it was correct and I contacted HDC and they cleared it up. It helps when you have details about the entity listed in a timely way. On ___ I had an interview with ___. On ___ my application was rejected because _____. On ___ I appealed the decision because ____. On ____ I spoke with ___ by phone and was told that _____. Make them tell HDC why your are in what band to make sure they are doing it right.
Can I challenge even though I haven't been formally rejected? I've just been told that there are too many qualified people ahead of me, but I've been given so many mixed messages in regards to how they are calculating my income, what band I fall into, etc. and even how close I am to being called. I was led to believe in April that I would be viewing an apartment in May. Ugh. I know this is all a crap shoot, but its so frustrating. I've come up in other lotteries before with higher numbers (think 30xxx) and no CB preference and gotten to the point where I have viewed and been offered an apartment, but it wasn't the right fit so I turned it down. Yesterday I got a letter to come in for an interview for Steinway Estates and my number is 50xxx with no CB!

Old 06-15-2017, 04:01 PM

24 posts, read 47,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBabe View Post
I sent the updated docs to the management office but wasn't asked to have anything notarized or anything. I don't have any contact info for HDC, for now I will be patient since it was only last Monday, LOL, perhaps I am jumping the gun here!

Thanks so much for all the information on the building and living there, sounds great! The open house definitely made me even more excited about it. The living room space is small, were you able to fit living room furniture in there?
Oh yeah you can definitely fit furniture in there and if you mount your tv it gives you more space. The ugly heater thing just takes up space that wouldve made the living room a bit more spacious but again no complaints I'm happy to be at carlton.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:07 PM

24 posts, read 47,043 times
Quote:
I agree!HDC knows be by name! prompt responses

Old 06-16-2017, 06:23 PM

21 posts, read 89,532 times
Hi, everyone!

I had my intake interview in April.

In May, they asked for a few clarifications (think paypal/venmo/cash deposits), but I didn't submit them due to the short deadline they gave me and what was going on in my life at the time. So I figured I was out of the running. The rent for the band I'm in is more than what I pay now, so I was kind of okay with that. But now I regret it.

This week, I received an email from them asking for a few updated documents (but no clarification like in May) and also requesting that I schedule a time to view a unit.

Does this mean anything that they want me to view an apartment? I think I have read that this organization has had people view units before approval (so it doesn't mean anything), but I can't remember.

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2017, 07:01 PM

21 posts, read 39,223 times
Quote:
I am wayyyy past all of this. It's actually not this development...I was referring to all of the developers in my original post. At this point the Commissioner is involved. They have blatantly tried to skip over my file and they actually told the City they were not accepting my appeal. It got ugly but hopefully everything will work out of it is meant to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery