Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 11:03 AM

6,146 posts, read 4,504,012 times

Advertisements

Nyc246: It was 30 years ago and I really don't remember what other paperwork, but mostly concerned with income. Besides, what I might remember can have changed over time, but I recall it being far less onerous than the 80/20s are now.

Shoshanarose: To get in, you could be a little bit over, maybe 10%. After that, if your income rose, you could pay up to 50% additional surcharge, based on income. The rule was that if you paid 50% for 3 years, you had to leave, but it was not enforced. There was also supposed to be a maximum income at which point you had to leave, but that was not enforced, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 06:19 PM

185 posts, read 311,088 times
Default Paperwork

[quote=NYC refugee;45694415]Nyc246: It was 30 years ago and I really don't remember what other paperwork, but mostly concerned with income. Besides, what I might remember can have changed over time, but I recall it being far less onerous than the 80/20s are now.

Thank you very much and if you think or hear of anything that would be helpful about the process it would be great.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:07 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,596,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Nyc246: It was 30 years ago and I really don't remember what other paperwork, but mostly concerned with income. Besides, what I might remember can have changed over time, but I recall it being far less onerous than the 80/20s are now.

Shoshanarose: To get in, you could be a little bit over, maybe 10%. After that, if your income rose, you could pay up to 50% additional surcharge, based on income. The rule was that if you paid 50% for 3 years, you had to leave, but it was not enforced. There was also supposed to be a maximum income at which point you had to leave, but that was not enforced, either.
Thanks but...I don't understand.

I thought if you earn too much,you don't qualify.
How can it be that you can earn 10% over the limit, and still get the apartment?

Old 10-04-2016, 10:32 AM

483 posts, read 691,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Thanks but...I don't understand.

I thought if you earn too much,you don't qualify.
How can it be that you can earn 10% over the limit, and still get the apartment?
I can't tell you how and why, but check the table at the top of page 14:

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/down...lama-rules.pdf

Old 10-04-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittytalks View Post
I can't tell you how and why, but check the table at the top of page 14:

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/down...lama-rules.pdf
Right, but I think these apply if you've ALREADY gotten the apartment and moved in. And then if your income goes up after that.

Not beforehand, you won't qualify if you're over the limit,right?

Old 10-04-2016, 12:41 PM

483 posts, read 691,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Right, but I think these apply if you've ALREADY gotten the apartment and moved in. And then if your income goes up after that.

Not beforehand, you won't qualify if you're over the limit,right?
I think it depends upon development and possibly also program. The last Penn South ad, you can see, specifically states maximum of 50% over is possible:

http://www.pennsouth.coop/Secure/Adm...Lottery.AD.pdf

Old 10-05-2016, 04:47 PM

56 posts, read 91,937 times
Hey Guys! Did anybody get notify from EMP management? I sent out my application a two month ago and still nothing? I'm wondering how it's going there.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:16 PM

185 posts, read 311,088 times
Default Emp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry85 View Post
Hey Guys! Did anybody get notify from EMP management? I sent out my application a two month ago and still nothing? I'm wondering how it's going there.
I was wondering the same have they started showing available apartments?

Old 10-05-2016, 09:02 PM

If my log number for East Midtown Plaza 1 bedroom lottery was around 900, do you think I will ever get offered an apartment? If so, how long might it take? (approximately)

Old 10-09-2016, 02:30 PM

6,146 posts, read 4,504,012 times
I don't think your log number counts, it's the number you get on the ML waiting list. I waited 7 years way back when and was on the internal list for a larger unit for almost the same when they changed the game.

As for being a little over the income guideline, this is not the 80/20s, this is Mitchell-Lama and it's completely different. I don't know if you can get in now if you're over, but back then if you were only a little bit over they let you in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery