Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 03:09 PM

3 posts, read 5,939 times

Advertisements

Hello

I applied for Coop in NYC in Nov 2016. Just got a letter with a log no # 9X. Can anyone share their experience and how long can it take for 4 bedrooms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 09:34 AM

34,189 posts, read 47,607,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I lived in Southbridge Towers and we fought like demons to stay Mitchell-Lama so that it took 9 YEARS for us to lose. But the smell of money to be made was in the air, no place quite like the financial district, so they were never, not ever going to stop trying to privatize. They still let people in off the waiting list, but it was interesting how skewed those new incomers seemed to be toward privatization. They had some people who moved in and while signing the lease, also had to opt in or out of the privatization plan on the same day.

The flip tax was 30%, so whatever windfall people thought was coming their way, it was automatically 30% less than the sales price. That will keep costs in check for a while, but at some point those sales will slow down and those tax breaks they lose will start to make themselves felt.

What I find most interesting is how soon they let EMP vote again. It used to be that the subject came up every 20 yrs and if it was voted down, you had a long wait for next time.
The privatization of Southbridge was one of the turning points of gentrification in the city.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-22-2017, 03:57 AM

25,439 posts, read 37,289,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The privatization of Southbridge was one of the turning points of gentrification in the city.

SF,

Privatization of Southbridge was only recently finalized, so late in the gentrification timeframe. I went to a Fourth of July, 2015, party with a spectacular view of the fireworks (high floor with terrace overlooking the Brooklyn Bridge and East River and the owners were still awaiting finalization which came several months later. They immediately complely renovated the bath and kitchen ($30K). It is probably the nicest 1 bedroom apt. I have ever been in. I believe they said the flip tax was 28% but that is hearsay.

I believe my friends have opted to stay, at least for the near present.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:25 AM

185 posts, read 313,925 times
Default Emp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker123 View Post
they only had 1 apartment to offer me i asked if there were others and i was told no.
the price was different from what was advertised i had to scramble and beg for money because it was impossible to get a bank loan

honestly, the process took a few months once i got emailed and called in.

Did they only notify you by email or did they call or send a letter too?

Old 05-13-2017, 06:47 PM

56 posts, read 92,679 times
Hey Guys. Does anyone hear anything from EMP? Looks like the process got frozen for now.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry85 View Post
Hey Guys. Does anyone hear anything from EMP? Looks like the process got frozen for now.
Have not heard anything. Did they say they were freezing the list? I wouldn't be surprised if they warehouse apartments until the next vote.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:53 PM

Hey guys. Looks like the line is stopped for now. There is no movement at all. I have no clue why it's going on like this((

Old 08-14-2017, 08:40 AM

Default Emp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry85 View Post
Hey guys. Looks like the line is stopped for now. There is no movement at all. I have no clue why it's going on like this((
What number are they up to now? They are working on the feasibility study, unfortunately we may have to wait until after the next vote

Old 09-19-2017, 02:23 PM

Any news on EMP? I see the 2 bedroom changed but no 1 bedrooms?

Old 09-29-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc246 View Post
Any news on EMP? I see the 2 bedroom changed but no 1 bedrooms?

They got stocked at the same number since the last year. The line is not moving at all for 1bedroom. I have no clue about the reason.((
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery