Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 09:06 AM

712 posts, read 772,578 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I hope your holiday was well and you were able to put all this apt stuff on the back burner. But here we are again in hopes that this week will bring good news. If anyone had told me that we would still be waiting for leases and move-in date I wouldn’t have believed them. Soon some of us will have to update our paper again, which will be the THIRD time. Although our Thanksgiving was a bit stressful I hope and pray our Christmas and New Year is a joyful celebration for many reasons. If anyone hears anything please pass it on as at least we will know that they are moving the process along.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:45 AM

47 posts, read 58,373 times
Hello!!! Called BG this morning... again... no news as to anything really... She stated i will be called soon to view a unit... =/

Old 11-27-2017, 10:42 AM

26 posts, read 29,562 times
I was going to call today too, but I will wait another few days. This is frustrating. I can't understand how they can justify the cost of reviewing paperwork for a 3rd time!

Assuming all of us are going to get the apartment. Does anyone know how it works regarding the flexibility of moving in / lease start date? I imagine that many of us have leases that we need to break. I am not going to lose out on the apartment obviously over this, but I will probably need to find someone to sublease and take over my lease. Even with the new apartment lower rent, it's pretty expensive to have two leases!

Old 11-27-2017, 10:59 AM

Extremely frustrating process! I think the uncertainty of it all is what makes it worse. Has anyone else gone to view any of the apartments?

Old 11-27-2017, 01:49 PM

There has been information given on the procedures moving forward. Some us have been in this since February and now just waiting on word of a lease. They haven’t even contacted us to see if we want the unit or not after we have viewed it,

Old 11-27-2017, 03:54 PM

Correction > NO INFORMATION GIVEN

Old 11-27-2017, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 892 times
My thoughts
This lottery is for those who are seeking affordable housing, yet how many have had to spend money trying to juggle existing apts because of the lack of urgency that is shown by the powers to be in the process of affordable housing. This process has not been helpful for those who are in need of this housing. Why is there almost a year wait and no information that is forthcoming. The frustration which it is causing those in need of decent housing is beyond cruel. Is there no conscience behind this process. To be treated as second class citizens and not even be respected enough to return calls/emails. They have made this process humiliating and have caused esteem issues for those who seek affordable housing.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:29 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,847,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The old girl View Post
My thoughts
This lottery is for those who are seeking affordable housing, yet how many have had to spend money trying to juggle existing apts because of the lack of urgency that is shown by the powers to be in the process of affordable housing. This process has not been helpful for those who are in need of this housing. Why is there almost a year wait and no information that is forthcoming. The frustration which it is causing those in need of decent housing is beyond cruel. Is there no conscience behind this process. To be treated as second class citizens and not even be respected enough to return calls/emails. They have made this process humiliating and have caused esteem issues for those who seek affordable housing.
i agree with what you're saying, but unfortunately i imagine most of it is beyond the control of the developers and HPD. these apartments are subject to strict building code regulations, and the city cannot bend the rules when it comes to safety and environmental regulations. there is so much that has to be inspected and approved. the affordable housing is subject to compliance with building code regulations. it is an incredibly complex process.

because the market rate apts are not subject to as much regulation, i imagine they are able to move in quicker.

i know it seems incredibly inconsiderate for them to keep everyone waiting this long, but there's really not much they can say to us. we can't expect them to tell us that they are waiting on "approval of the fire exit B on floor 9" and "approval by the dept of environmental protection of the electric metering". it's simply too complex. the best they can say is that they're waiting for the building to be ready, which they have done.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:36 AM

Unfortunately that is correct. But it's hard to understand when there has been no information. For all those who have been waiting I think the wait would have been easier if we were told that it would be a year wait, then people could have planned for that and if it came earlier it would have been a blessing.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:00 AM

Some of you guys are way ahead of me. I was approved but have yet to see an apartment. I don't understand why they reiterate to you that nothing is guaranteed unless you sign a lease (after stating that you are approved for apartment). Can they disqualify you last minute?

Last edited by UPWJazz; 11-28-2017 at 10:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery